cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Relationship between cancer spread, stage and treatment

1 REPLY 1

Re: Relationship between cancer spread, stage and treatment

Hi Info1900

Thanks for posting. Its sounds like a difficult time. Please don’t feel you are asking the wrong questions. No question is wrong.

If cancer has spread to another organ this would be stage four. You may hear it called secondary, advanced or metastatic breast cancer. Depending on the individual situation, chemotherapy and radiotherapy can be used to treat secondary breast cancer along with other medical treatment options. The aim of these treatments is to control the cancer, relieve any symptoms, and maintain health, wellbeing and a good quality of life for as long as possible.

You ask what you can do to help ease your mum’s fear of treatment. It’s understandable you would like to help with this, perhaps so she will have any treatment she is offered. You describe this as an inherent fear. I imagine there is very little, if anything that you are able to do to change this. Some people decide to decline conventional treatments and there is often a variety of reasons for this. This decision can be very difficult for family and friends to understand.

It sounds like it might help more to talk this through in more detail with one of us here. We often find we can help people more by speaking to them on the phone. Your mum might also find it helpful to speak with one of us about her concerns about having treatment. The number for our free and confidential Helpline is 0808 800 6000.

Regardless of the decision your mum makes about treatment, perhaps she may be interested in the services we offer to women with secondary breast cancer.

Do get back in touch if we can help further, either through these Forums, our Helpline or you are welcome to email our nurses privately if you prefer.

Best wishes

Jane

Breast Cancer Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer. This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Relationship between cancer spread, stage and treatment

Hi all, please forgive my ignorance as a newbie if I ask the wrong questions. However I am here on behalve of my mum. She found a lump in her breast back in 2016 and tests proved the lump to be malignant. Inspite of my best efforts mum has an inherent fear of chemotherapy, radiotherapy and the likes and as such had decided against those forms of treatment or even seeing an oncologist about it since her initial tests in 2016. She has rather tried various herbal remedies and therapies. She has as at this week agreed to and have done tests which have shown that the cancer has spread to her liver.

My questions are:

can this have any indication as to what stage her cancer is?

Is chemotherapy and or radio therapy still possible treatment options?

What can I do to ease her fears of these treatment options?

I appreciate that any response would only count as advise but i appreciate any information.
Kind regards