Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nipple reconstruction

1 REPLY 1

Re: Nipple reconstruction

Hi SueRosA21

Thanks for posting.

I wonder if you were asking about 3D nipple tattooing?!  I’ve included some information. This procedure may not be widely available in the UK. If you are still under follow up at the hospital, your treatment team will know if it is available in your area.

Nipple reconstruction is performed with a short, general anaesthetic using tissue from the thigh or groin area. When the area has healed, usually after a month micropigmentation (like a tattoo) is added to make it appear like the original colour.

Some women find that having a tattoo rather than having a reconstruction of the nipple, is appropriate for them. Local anaesthetic cream is often used, as the procedure may be uncomfortable.

If you are no longer under hospital follow up, your GP, will be able to refer you to a surgeon or practitioner who carries out nipple reconstruction.

At Breast Cancer Care, we offer a variety of services, to support you now, or in the future. Our forums have information about different aspects of reconstruction which you may find useful.

Do call our free, confidential Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The number is 0808 800 6000.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.  

Please be aware that we will be closed on Saturday 23 March, Friday 29 March and Saturday 30 March due to an office move. This may cause a slight delay in our response times especially for forum posts received from Friday 29 March to Monday 1 April. Thank you for your patience during this period. 

We are currently reviewing our Forum service and wonder if you would have five to 10 minutes to complete a short survey. The survey will help us gather information about this service and understand more about any improvements we can make.

Best wishes

Addie

Breast Cancer Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer. This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Nipple reconstruction

I had a  bilateral DIEP flap reconstruction in November 2016 and am now looking at having my nipple reconstruction.

Can you outline the process for a 3D reconstruction, as although I feel this is what I want to have I am concerned about any possible side effects

i am just in the process of considering simple tattoos rather than the ‘minor’ surgery required and would welcome opinion regarding the procedure and the long term ‘look’ if possibel

kind r3gards