Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Menopause and bc

1 REPLY 1

Re: Menopause and bc

Hi Alvilajo

Thanks for posting

It’s probably a coincidence that you were diagnosed with breast cancer as well as noticing a change in your periods.

The menopause is a natural event for all women and usually occurs between the ages of 45 and 55 years, with 51 being the average age. However, if you have had treatment for breast cancer, this may result in an early menopause or menopausal symptoms.

You may also hear the term ‘peri-menopause’ or ‘peri-menopausal’. This refers to time leading up to menopause when a woman’s hormones may rise and fall, causing irregular periods. This may happen over months or years. As you’ve noticed some changes to your cycle, it’s possible that you may be at the start of the menopause.

Breast cancer is the most common cancer in the UK. One out of every eight women and one out of every 870 men will develop breast cancer in their lifetime. Most breast cancers (80%) occur in women over the age of 50.

Research suggests that breast cancer is caused by lots of different factors, many of which we can’t control.

A small number of people diagnosed with breast cancer (5%) have inherited a fault in one of the known breast cancer genes.

Do call our free, confidential Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The number is 0808 800 6000.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open. 

Please be aware that we will be closed on Friday 29 March and Saturday 30 March due to an office move. This may cause a slight delay in our response times especially for emails received from Friday 29 March to Monday 1 April. Thank you for your patience during this period. 

We are currently reviewing our Forum service and wonder if you would have five to 10 minutes to complete a short survey. The survey will help us gather information about this service and understand more about any improvements we can make.

Best wishes

Marretje

Breast Cancer Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer. This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Menopause and bc

Hi maybe this is a coincidence. I was diagnosed a month ago and my last two periods have been light ( normally heavy) could I be starting menopause as well. Is there a link to menopause and breast cancer as seems to happen around that time 50's or am I just over thinking everything. Vic x