cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HRT and atypical ductal hyperplasia

1 REPLY 1

Re: HRT and atypical ductal hyperplasia

Hi Maggie

Thanks for posting to ask the latest information on HRT and risk of developing breast cancer.

Atypical Ductal Hyperplasia (ADH) and Flat Epithelial Atypia (FEA) are shown to slightly increase the possibility of getting breast cancer. However, the level of risk varies depending on individual factors. Therefore the best people to discuss your individual risk with along with the risks and benefits of taking HRT would be your hospital doctor.

The latest evidence for the use of HRT states that the increase in risk increases the longer it’s taken for. Cancer Research UK (CRUK) provide a useful summary.

You may also find it helpful to talk it through with your GP, or to seek a second opinion which might clarify the situation for you.

Do call our free, confidential Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The number is 0808 800 6000.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.  

Please be aware that we will be closed on Monday 26 August due to the bank holiday.

Best wishes

Addie

Breast Cancer Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer. This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

HRT and atypical ductal hyperplasia

Hello,

I’ve been told today I have atypical ductile hyperplasia and flat epithelial atypia. I’ll be having an annual mammogram for five years.

The doctor stressed repeatedly that this means I am at high risk of developing cancer and that he strongly advised I should stop HRT.

However, I see here that you refer to slightly increased chance rather than high risk.

Would you be able please to give me the latest position on HRT use and breast cancer?

Thank you 

Maggie