Reply to this thread

Re: Guide wire

Hello Suzy Q

Thanks for your post.

It’s understandable you want to know if the ultrasound guided marker that you had inserted a few months back, is the same as the guide wire your due to have inserted before your lumpectomy.

These procedures are similar. Having a guide wire before surgery will help locate the marker and the exact area to be removed during surgery. The wire can be inserted on the same day or a day before the lumpectomy is carried out. Once the wire is in the correct place, it’s covered with a padded dressing and left there until surgery. Then the wire, marker and area of breast tissue are removed. If you have a breast care nurse, you could call her just to clarify.

Do call our free, confidential Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The number is 0808 800 6000.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Teresa

Breast Cancer Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer.  This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Understand your anxious same for me from date I received call back letter. I think it becomes your every waking thought as you travel this journey. We all think we are doing it alone but there are so many of us walking this journey together and we all feel for each other and the breast care teams are so protective of us all. Like you I didn't want this but at the same time just wanted it to be over and to get back to normal. I find this forum scary but helpful at the same time people can give their experiences and it seems to help hearing how they have coped and makes things a little less worrying. Try not to worry too much (I know easy to say hard to do) they will take good care of you xx

Thanks Lyn,having waited for the lumpectomy since diagnosis in October as it responded to hormone blocker to shrink it away from the chest wall ,I now seem to get anxious about every detail .Can't wait for it to be over.
Highlighted

I had a wire guided wide excision and had to go to breast care departmente to have wire inserted using mammogram to ensure correctly placed. Wire is quite long and a lot is left hanging out. The nurse curled it up and tucked a dressing around it for comfort and I assume to stop it becoming dislodged. Then back to the day surgery unit to await op. My appointment letter explained what to expect. It doesn't take too long and they numb the area beforehand it's similar to when they do the biopsies. Good luck for the 20th x

Thanks Jo,It wasn't made clear to me this would happen on the day.You have put my mind at rest.
Community Champion

Hi Suzy, I had a wire inserted on the day of my op, it was done in the ultrasound dept of the breast clinic, it's all quite painless as they numb the area first then feed a fine wire in to the area to be removed , they then do a mammogram to check its in the correct place then its back to the waiting area with a wire hanging out of you like an Ariel! 

All quite straight forward and nothing to worry about, I didn't have a separate appointment it's just all part of the lumpectomy process, best of luck Xx Jo 

Guide wire

I'm due to have a lumpectomy on the20th April.I have received my appointment from the Nuclear Med.dept for dye injection .The info mentions having a guide wire inserted on the same day in another dept .I haven't received an appointment for this .I have had an ultrasound guided marker inserted a few months back when I started on letrazole .I'm wondering if this is the same thing as a guide wire?