Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Employment

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Employment

Hello Jayneyio

Thank you for your post.

It’s good to see that your boss was understanding and you have been able drop a shift.

As MrsG1962 says, you are covered by the Equality Act 2010, if you live in England, Scotland or Wales, or if you live in Northern Ireland, the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 (DDA). This means your employer is required to make reasonable adjustments or changes to your work practices, if you are at ‘substantial disadvantage’ because you have cancer.

You also have legal protection against discrimination. So, if your employer was to terminate your employment after you had asked to drop a day at work due to your cancer treatment, this would be an example of disability discrimination.

You may find it helpful to know about an organisation called Fit for work. They offer free, expert and impartial advice to in relation to health and work.

Side effects from the letrozole can be difficult to cope with. You may find our information about how to manage menopausal symptoms useful to read.

Do call our free, confidential Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The number is 0808 800 6000.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open. 

Best wishes

Teresa

Breast Cancer Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer. This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

That’s great news they were able to help you, I think most employers want to help if they can especially if what you’re asking for is reasonable.

Hope you get on top of those side effects soon 

Melanie xx

Hi Melanie

Thank you for your reply. I am in a union and I did speak to my boss on Friday, she was understanding and I have now dropped a shift.  I think I panicked and listened to work colleagues who didn’t want me to work less hours because they would have to cover the shift or work with agency.  

Hi Jaynejo

so sorry to hear how much you’re struggling.

I’m not in HR or an employment expert but as you’ve had cancer you are covered by the Equality act ( which replaced the Disability Discrimination Act in 2010 ). I believe this means your employer has to make reasonable adjustments to help you stay in work and dropping one shift sounds to me like it would be a reasonable adjustment to ask them to make. 

Are you in a union ? Or if not could you join one ? They would definitely be able to advise you. Alternatively perhaps ask citizens advice or Macmillan 

I would suggest you find out where you stand legally before you approach your employer. Hopefully they will be accommodating but if they aren’t at least you’d know your rights.

Hope you get on ok but more importantly I hope the side effects you’re struggling with improve soon 

Melanie xx 

Employment

Hello, 

i was diagnosed with stage 2 breast cancer in March 2017. I had a lumpectomy and 5 lymph nodes removed. I also had 3 weeks of radiotherapy. I went on the sick from my job as a night carer in a residential dementia home until December 2018 when Ireturned for 3 shifts. 

I am finding the work really difficult, with the menopause and possibly side effects of the letrozole. My knees are aching and sweat is running off me. I want to drop a shift, but I’m worried they may terminate my employment .