Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need to see a dr?

1 REPLY 1

Re: Do I need to see a dr?

Hello Heather5

Thanks for your post.

Radiotherapy to the breast and/or under the arm can cause hardening of the tissue and may explain why you have noticed that your breast is shrinking even after all this time. If the breast becomes hard this is known as fibrosis and is caused by a build-up of scar tissue. If the fibrosis becomes severe, the breast can become noticeably smaller as well as firmer.

As you have noticed a change you may want to contact your breast care nurse, if you have one, your hospital team or your GP so that they can assess the area further.

Do call our free, confidential Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The number is 0808 800 6000.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.  

We are currently reviewing our Forum service and wonder if you would have five to 10 minutes to complete a short survey. The survey will help us gather information about this service and understand more about any improvements we can make.

Best wishes

Rachel

Breast Cancer Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer. This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Highlighted

Do I need to see a dr?

I had adenoid cystic carcinoma of the left breast nearly seven years ago. I had a lumpectomy and six weeks of radiation. I have recently noticed that my left breast appears to be shrinking. Do I need to get this checked?

Thank you, Heather