cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dexa scan

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Dexa scan

Hi Kelmscott

Thanks for your post, hopefully your wound problems are settling.

You don’t say what additional treatment you’ve been offered following your mastectomy.  However, a DEXA scan is usually requested when someone has started hormone therapy (also called endocrine therapy) with an aromatase inhibitor drug (either anastrozole, letrozole or exemestane) as part of their treatment for early breast cancer.

A DEXA scan measures bone density (strength).  It isn’t used to detect any signs of spread of breast cancer. As the aromatase inhibitor drugs can affect bone density and in some cases cause osteoporosis (thinner, weaker bones), it’s usual practice for people starting one of the drugs to have a DEXA scan in the first few months of taking it and after 2-3 years of taking it to monitor their effect.

Our booklet Osteoporosis and Breast Cancer explains more about breast cancer treatment and bone health.

You might find it helpful to ask someone here on the forums or through our Someone Like Me service about their experience of a DEXA scan.

Our Someone Like Me service has over 200 volunteers who have had a personal experience of breast cancer and are trained to provide support. The volunteers are able to talk to you by email or telephone.

Do call our free, confidential Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The number is 0808 800 6000.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open. 

Please be aware that we will be closed on Friday 29 March and Saturday 30 March due to an office move. This may cause a slight delay in our response times especially for emails received from Friday 29 March to Monday 1 April. Thank you for your patience during this period. 

We are currently reviewing our Forum service and wonder if you would have five to 10 minutes to complete a short survey if you haven’t done so already. The survey will help us gather information about this service and understand more about any improvements we can make.

Best wishes

Catherine

Breast Cancer Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer. This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Community Champion

Re: Dexa scan

Kelmscott

I know you have posted on the ask our nurses who won't see this until tomorrow. A Dexa scan is an xray to check your bone density, are you going to be on hormone blocking tablets? 

A dexa scan gives them a bench mark on your bone density so that they can monitor it. It is not painful at all and only takes about 10 minutes to do, they take an xray type image of your spine and hips. If your on hormone blocking tablets like tamoxifen or letrozole you should have it every two years. I have osteoporosis of the spine and because I am on them I take a combined vit d and calcium tablet twice a day xx

Dexa scan

I had a right breast mastectomy 6 months ago with quite a lot of problems with the wound. I have now been told to have a Dexa scan is this normal