cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calcifications on mammogram. Very worried.

1 REPLY
Highlighted

Re: Calcifications on mammogram. Very worried.

Hi LunaMuna

Thanks for posting.

Waiting for tests and results is always difficult and it’s understandable that you’re anxiety is made worse by being told at the clinic there’s no chance the calcifications are benign.  And results as in your case can take up to two weeks because biopsy findings are discussed at a multidisciplinary (MDT) meeting before a final result is issued.

Breast calcifications are small spots of calcium salts. They can occur anywhere in the breast tissue and are seen on breast imaging .  Usually they are seen on a mammogram but occasionally can be seen on an ultrasound.  Breast calcifications can occasionally be an early sign of cancer but it can be difficult to be certain about this, which is why a biopsy is necessary to make a diagnosis.

As you are so anxious I wonder if you would find it helpful to give us a ring on our Freephone Helpline. The number is 0808 800 6000 and we are here till 4pm this evening.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.  There are some changes to our opening hours due to the bank holidays, please refer to our website for more details.

Alternatively you might find it helpful to talk to your GP or to contact the hospital and ask to speak to a breast care nurse.

Best wishes

Eve

Breast Cancer Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer. This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Calcifications on mammogram. Very worried.

Hi
I am hoping someone can help. About 8 weeks ago I noticed that my left breast was turning red and swelling. I only finished breastfeeding my nearly 4 year old in June. I was prescribed antibiotics and it settled a bit. However it has remained slightly swollen and the redness has faded to a browny pink. I have been to the breast clinic today, on first inspection I was told it was a lingering infection however, after an ultrasound and mammogram I have been told that I have calcifications under the red patch of skin. I endured multiple vaccum biopsies and was told that there is no chance that the calcifications are benign. I will not receive my biopsy results for another fortnight.
I am so scared and all ready on medication for anxiety.
Does anyone have any Knowledge of this?
I would be so grateful for any help.