cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annual mammogram follow up

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Annual mammogram follow up

Hi LynR

Thanks for your post. I can only imagine the anxiety you went through waiting for your first post treatment mammogram and the results.

The forums are a great resource for a lot of people and I am so pleased you felt they were beneficial to you.

At Breast Cancer Care, we offer other services which you may find helpful. 

You may also be interested to read what Dr Peter Harvey, a Consultant Clinical Psychologist, wrote about how people can feel after treatment has finished. Although the article is many years old and not specific to breast cancer the emotional issues discussed remain relevant.  You can read this through the following link    After the treatment has finished - Then what?

You’re also welcome to call our confidential Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The number is 0808 800 6000.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.  

We are currently reviewing our Forum service and wonder if you would have five to 10 minutes to complete a short survey. The survey will help us gather information about this service and understand more about any improvements we can make.

Best wishes

Addie

Breast Cancer Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer. This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Community Manager

Re: Annual mammogram follow up

Hi LynR, sorry that you have had any replies yet. If you have any concerns while you're waiting for others to respond please do give our Helpline a call on 0808 800 6000 from 9am-4pm Monday to Friday, or 9am-1pm Saturday. Best wishes

Dan, Digital Engagement Manager 

Annual mammogram follow up

I recently posted  asking questions about first annual mammogram after DCIS surgery.  

I had fears about how painful it would be and if i would get results straight away etc.

What i can tell you now is this, i had been worrying about this first follow up mammogram since i got the results of my surgery  last march - would it hurt and all the what ifs? etc.

My appointment was the last week of January and i drove myself crazy for the month before so much so that i had an episode of stress related eczma on one(bizzarly) of my fingers.  Eventually i had the mammograms and of course there was the obligatory week to 10 days waiting (which did not help with the eczma).  I had been given some helpful advice by several ladies on here about taking pain relief beforehand, which did actually help so thank you for that xx.  Nothing could help my anxiety whilst waiting for the results though, eventually a letter arrived telling me my mammogram showed no sign of cancer and to be vigilent if myself and there would be regular follow ups (annually) until further notice.

I have to say the relief was enormous and  a week later the eczma has almost cleared up (amazing!)  I can only say it was my own thoughts and fears that added to my anxiety.  I will probably be exactly the same next year but at least i now know what to expect and i can deal with it and anything else that this disease can throw at me.  I know we are all different and all deal with things differently and in our own way, all the support and answers to my silly questions that i have received has been a big help, and i am so grateful to everyone for their knowledge and thoughts.  We are all at different stages of our journey with cancer and if by sharing our fears, anxieties, thoughts and knowledge with each other no matter how big or small we can support each other then i for one am indebted to each and everone of you and send my thanks and love and support back to each of you, if i can help with answers, advice or just sharing  then i will.  In the meantime 2019 starts now for me and i will be stocking up on eczma cream and painkillers for next year!  Lots of love 

LynR x