Reply to this thread

Re: What to take into hospital?

Back at home after DIEP exactly a week ago. Took practically everything that was recommended on this thread, however didn't need much of it!! I guess hospitals vary. I was at Charing Cross where they kept us in gowns the whole time, so didn't need PJs or dressing gowns, or change of clothes. What I did value were the mobile phone, chewing gum (couldn't clean my teeth for a few days), portable fan, eye mask and ear plugs (first couple of nights it was me disturbing everyone else with hourly checks, then it was the next lady!), small newspapers and magazines (couldn't concentrate on the kindle at all), prune juice (to help with the constipation). That's what I can think of for now, but if anything else occurs to me, will post again! Off for another lie down!

Like JillyBee I have been following this thread and found it very useful preparation.  I go in on Monday and have my bag just about completed, so thank you to all the ladies who have posted here!

Am going in next week,and have used ths thread to compile my list.Another thing I have thought of is a plastic bag,to pop washing in

I was in hospital in Jan for a radical mastectomy and found front opening , cotton PJs were ideal , but wore a pair that were a size larger than normal . They allowed for my two drain bags to be carried about comfortably and meant most of me was discretely covered when my wound/dressing was being looked at etc. We could use our phone chargers , which was great as I was in for three days .
Other things I found useful were hand wipes, tissues, and hand cream . I didn't have earplugs but could have done with them as the ward TV was so loud , and my bed was closest to it !!! I took a book to read , but hardly looked at it .
Good luck to all those about to go in for their ops .
Hugs, Jill xx

Also be prepared for tissue swelling! I presume I have had more because it was bilateral , but a loose style nightshirt 2 sizes up from what I normally wear is the only one I can get into. Pjs get in the way of the tummy stitches. To be honest, I wore hospital gowns for the first three days. They were so much easier, I really didn't care how I looked!

I took in a pair of knitted ballet shoe type slippers that I had been given for Christmas. They have a " sticky/ grippy" sole and are so light weight they are perfect for initial excursions out of bed ! So glad I have them with me!

Thank you all for the info on what to take into hospital! I'm now feeling more prepared, although not quite in the "I'm going on holiday" mode!

Ive just got home and this list was great.

I felt much more in control just packing these bits and pieces.

The lip balm was my vital item. And ear plugs.

And a kiwi fruit drink for post op functioning bowels. Those drugs really jam you up.

The only thing I needed was tea bags.  At my hospital they lock up the tea so the visitors dont drink it all and I was positively gasping on mealtime rations. 

Its a comforting thing a nice hot cup of tea.

The cancer society provided a lovely heart shaped pillow, bliss and a wee shoulder bag to carry my drain in. So thoughtful.

Tucked a pillow in between me and the seat belt and car ride home was fine too.

Thanks to those who shared, really was so helpful

Xx

Slippy PJs will make you slip down the bed as well!!! I had cotton ones.It is difficult no matter what to get into and out of bed!!

M&S have some silky looking pjs in with a button front. Quite respectable ones, I wish I had had slippy PJs to help move myself up the bed when I had the mastectomies- will buy some for the DIEP.

Hello Trouble32

Welcome to the forums.

As well as the forums we also have a support helpline where the staff can offer emotional support as well as practical information. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes,

June moderator

Thank you to everyone who has posted useful advice, it was so helpful to read as I prepared to go into hospital for mastectomy and reconstruction. Although out the next day I found the lip balm invaluable and also throat sweets, as mentioned before your throat can be sore. I was also provided with a handmade shoulder bag in which to carry the drain bottle-as posted earlier these were made by previous patients and were brilliant as it allowed me freedom of movement. A cushion to use under the seatbelt made car travel a lot more comfortable. I appreciate all the advice in this thread as it gave me something I could be in control of, if only packing my bag! Thank you.

My hospital gave me an over the shoulder fabric bag to carry my drain in - I asked about them as it was so very helpful and beautifully made and was told they are made by former patients. I guess they have been through it and know how much they help.

The best piece of advice I got from this thread was when you are going home, get someone to bring a pillow in. If you hold it close against your chest during the drive home it really stops you feeling the bumps and knocks - I took mine everywhere for the first couple of weeks!

hi there.

i have found out before i go in for my masectomy, yo buy some kiddie socks and large safety pins

for the drains. use the socks to put each drain in and attach under clothing with a safety pin.

im told it makes them so much more comfy if thats possible

deborah x

[ Edited ]

I'm also just through my max and DIEP recon.  I had two hospital bags - one for going in initially and another ready for my husband to bring in. I never used the second bag.  

I didn't need

pants until I went home because of the drain site. This is upsetting so be prepared. 

Any clothes at all - they check the flap and the drains all the time so gowns are better

Deodrant - as someone has said

I did use - alot

Baby wipes

lip salve

Ear plugs on one night (Notting Hill Carnival the ward was really busy)

I phone with some tv and radio programmes downloaded onto it. (You do need someone to charge it for you as you can't initially get out of bed to do that). 

Toothbrush and toothpaste - day 2 I got into the bathroom by myself and this gave me such a feeling of freshness

Flannels - I felt I wanted a clean one every day.

Fruit - they kept blueberries in the fridge for me and they really helped me eat at breakfast time. 

Food can be an issue - they tell you to eat to recover but I found eating really difficult for a few days after the long op. If you fancy someone get a friend or partner to bring it in. 

Just come out and this info was very helpful. I would add that dry shampoo would be useful too.

Following my DIEP,was adviced on new bra......one cup size down,and bigger bra.EG.you were size 38 c ,get bra 40 b

As well as all the things mentioned and a cool mist spray and some throat sweets mine was sore after the op.

Here's one I never thought through before I came into hospital... Make sure you have separates for travelling home in. I very rarely wear trousers or jeans and live in dresses and skirts. I arrived at hospital in a dress and had packed another, very comfortable dress to wear for the homeward journey. Having just given myself a good, all over wash with baby wipes, done my hair with dry shampoo, brushed and plaited it, moisturised all over (excluding wound areas), shaved my good armpit (Phillips Ladyshave.....another great purchase made after SNB and well worth packing in your hospital bag), squirted with my favourite perfume, I then went to put my rather lovely, yet comfortable dress on....
.....I'd forgotten to factor in the possibility that I may be leaving with drains still in place! Not a pretty picture and certainly not a look which will be found on the catwalk at any time in the near future!

Feeling like a complete Wally, I've had to put my PJs back on and phone my partner to ask him to bring me a skirt and top. Fortunately, he hadn't already set off on the 40 mile trip to the hospital!

Forgot to add. Comments
pyjamas or night shirt with buttoned front - allows for drain to hang out, wet wipes for hands face and privates, parfume to feel nice and normal. Dressing gownn and easy slippers. Easy clothes to get back into - buttoned top. I had long loose skirt to pull on and long boots with socks yo pull on! Not elegant. Could not learn how to brush hair with wrong hand. Could not wash hands under taps with 2 things hanging out of back of hands so used wet wipes.... Took in vitamin c dicsolvable to keep off infection.......