Reply to this thread

Re: What to take into hospital?

Hi all, I had my MX 4 weeks ago today and I read everthing I could about what to take to hospital, my top 3 tips are 1) Buy two of these pillows take one with you, still using mine now so much comfort and support www.facebook.com/Jensfriendsmastectomypillow/, 2) If you are likely to have drains get one of these and afterwards so useful for carrying things upstairs at night http://www.draindollies.co.uk/, 3) organise a Go To bag all you need is a medium makeup or toiletry bag put money,phone,ipod,friut sweets,lipbalm,drain dolly bag and any other comfort item you want, then when you are on the ward you will have all you first need to hand in one place, hope this helps. Hugs Mary xx

Are you having a reconstruction? Reading the trail, I think the tummy thing they're talking about is only if you're having a DIEP form of reconstruction, which is using tummy fat etc to fill out the breast area. If you're only having the mastectomy then it wouldn't affect your tummy.

I know it's scary, but I promise you it does get better. It's now 9 weeks since my mastectomy and reconstruction (I had a DP flap, taken from my back), and honestly it hasn't been anything like as bad as I feared. Take whatever pain relief they offer if you need to (I found it wasn't really painful, just stiff and tight) and - importantly -be kind to yourself.

Hope all goes well for you. Sending you love.xx

What is the tummy thing you are talking about...I have not heard anything about that...I am due to have a single mastectomy in two weeks...I am so scared...I have been diagnosed with first stage cancer.

What is the tummy thing you are talking about...I have not heard anything about that...I am due to have a single mastectomy in two weeks...

I read all this thread before, but I can't remember if anyone mentioned ear plugs!

I didn't take them the first time, and was kept awake by a horrid bird tweeting outside my window from 4am... hehe

This time I decided to take a pair and it was wonderful, not only for the bird (yes, it was still there!) but also for the general night noise in the ward).

I got foam ones, Boots sell them in packs of 3 pairs.

Hi all, if you're staying in take magazines! I took my kindle to read but my mum, very sensibly, told my son to buy me magazines. There was no way I could concentrate on reading a book and the magazines were great. 

The front opening bra was great advice. I bought one for £7 on eBay (brand new naturally!). Also the advice of pyjamas with button down jacket was great advice.

Take wet wipes to freshen up. A packet of biscuits in case you get peckish. 

Hope this helps.

Pat xx 

Hi Nomadicnorthern girl

Thanks for your reply. There's one near me, so I'll pop down.

Hope your surgery went ok, and that you're not feeling too rough - at least good that it's over.

Coco xx

Hi Coco, I just had 2nd surgery 2 days ago and got my button down nighties from matalan. Also bought some button down shirts from there to go out in. 

Good luck 

x

Thanks Caroluna, I'll have a look.

Try Sleep and Soak, I just got two button front night shirts at a good price!

Hi,

when I had my lumpectomy a few years ago, I bought some button-front nighties. A bit granny-ish but a lot easier for wound access, and also to get on and off in future weeks until I could move my arm better.

Now looking for more when I go in for mastectomy this time.

My ace BCN said bring in a hand held fan as I will be kept hot post recon, to keep the blood vessels dilated but can use a fan. I'm also going to take a water spray which is my constant companion since having had me HRT wrenched out of my mits. And think I'm going to have a short hair cut to keep cool.

Also... I think I'm going to make individual packs of clothes/undies for each day I expect to be in, so my dear chap doesn't have to ponder over what to bring...  

Then of course there's the chocolate, gin and whatever other illicit substances I can smuggle in.

This obsessing about my baggage is becoming a calming ritualistic thingy to distract me from the purpose of this hospital stay, you'd never believe the lists I've made,  well you probably would.

So that's all for now.

Thanks for this idea Cate M - I took a drain dolly bag with me and it was very handy and much admired! It is so much easier moving around at home too. I have my painkillers in there as well now.

After surgery

[ Edited ]

@Anna_BCC wrote:

Hi everyone

I have read in different threads that there are items which have been particularly helpful to individuals when in hospital undergoing surger for breast cancer.  I thought it would be really helpful to all those who are going into hospital for surgery to read and note what people have and have not found helpful.

Please share your tips and suggestions on what you found most helpful so that others can benefit from those who have already been there.  Please do also include anything you found particularly unhelpful as well.

EG what sort of nightwear did you find most comfortable when connected to drips and drains?

Best wishes

Anna

Forum Coordinator

Hello,

First time using this site.

I have my 2nd operation on the 8th , was dreading it , but after reading all your blogs I feel not so much on my own , the advice I know is going to be helpful, already re - packed by bag ! Thank you.

Living on my own its nice to know I have online support in the middle of the night over the next 8 months should I need it.

Thanks

x

Hi Everyone ,

Hope you all well.

I'm back home now , surgery was last week , I was looked after in hospital for 4 days , just waiting for results in a couple of weeks grrrr dont you just love this waiting !!!!

Feeling tired but each day getting less tired , even mangaged a drink of red wine in the local last night , tasted amazing ....

Being a good girl doing my exercises , helping doing them outside in the fresh air to power music wearning earphones, even though its freezing :-)

ooops forgotton to mention a friend recommended tanning before hospital , I came out looking far to good !

Drain came home with me for a few days , easy to use , was told it would be painful when removed , but I had no problem  , but did ache next day , but after a ibuprofen it subsided.

Staying positive , out with my buddy tomorrow afternoon for sale shopping , coffee and gossip.Soon be back to normal.

Bye for now ladies .

xxx

Community Champion

Wish I had logged onto this forum a couple of weeks ago - those bags for the drains (drain dolly website) look ideal!! I had 3 drains in hospital which I carried around in an NHS pillowcase then came home with one which I carry around in one of those foldable fabric shopping bags, which is fine. Hoping my drain will be removed on Thurs - Christmas Eve, needed it in 2further weeks at home. That will be a great Christmas present! Smiley Happy

A travel neck pillow was the best thing I could have taken.

Also, wet wipes, audio book, tissues, dressing gown, slip on shoes (not slippers) and a hairbrush so you can feel just a touch normal xx

I recommend these for those dredded drains http://www.draindollies.co.uk/collections/all

I used them and they came in handy after the drains were removed for storing my medication in. They are made by a young girl, aged 26, who went through a prophylatic bilateral mastectomy. A percentage of the money goes to a cancer charity. 

Hi thank you all your suggestions were so helpful when I went into hospital xx
Things I found useful in hospital and at home were:
Arnica really reduced the swelling and bruising
Loads of face flannels
Plastic cup / glass as nice and light to lift
Straws
Plus found it useful that I'd done loads of leg strengthening exercises in the lead up to the op,
As I couldn't weight bear on my arms I needed to hoist myself up with my legs only!
Xx

Had mine out yesterday as well Marli , so hurrah here too. Feel a bit battered and bruised today around the drain site , and like you my scar site is tight and pulling , with the odd stabbing pain !!! Am just doing the simple exercises from the leaflet they gave me in January .... don't want to overdo it at this stage .

Hope you feel better soon ,
Hugs,
Jill xxx

Hurray - drain out after 7 days. Hope it stays away. Can feel discomfort around surgery scar now I don't have to worry about drain ! lol  x