cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WLE & SNB surgery

4 REPLIES 4
Community Champion

Re: WLE & SNB surgery

My chemo is behind me now and I am going through radiotherapy. The chemo is not as awful as you think it will be. Join the thread for your month when you start because it helps to be in touch with people that know what you are going through.

I used the cold cap and kept lots of hair, ask them for a PICC line because that will make your life much easier. Ask about anything that concerns you in one of the chemo threads, everyone on here will try and help you xxx

Community Champion

Well you are certainly going to get your money's worth from the NHS!Good days ,bad days and hysteria are par for the course ,how else would you deal with such a anxiety provoking diagnosis? It most definitely does get better ,you do end up calmer and feeling more in control but it takes time .When you start chemo join one of the monthly threads ,lots of support from others going through the same thing .
WMJ

Unfortunately the cancer had spread to 6/7 of the lymph nodes removed. I was so shocked as the lump was so small. Good news is that have to have chemo, lymph node clearance, radiotheraphy & hormone treatment. taking time to get my head around it all. Still in pain from surgery as had fluid build up and it drained. Good days and bad ones at the moment. Yesterday was very good and so far today going well. Saturday was a bad one due to lack of sleep and episodes of hysteria.
Community Champion

Good luck with you results WMJ.
WMJ

WLE & SNB surgery

Thought I would share my experience for anyone who is going through the same or has been through this. I had a WLE & SNB on Tuesday afternoon. I was able to come home at 9pm that evening and was up and about the next morning, altho clearly not doing a lot. Was in quite a bit of pain so my husband contacted my GP for stronger painkillers, which have helped. District Nurse came and removed my dressings on Friday, she said they looked 'good' and didn't put anything on them, so I have no dressings. She said I could shower on Sunday, but I am going to speak to my breast cancer nurse, on Monday, before doing this. I had to ask for the district nurse to come and change my dressing, it was not arranged for me. I haven't worn my bra since the dressing was removed, due to where one of the cuts are. As you would expect still feeling fairly uncomfortable but improving slightly each day. I am doing the excercises, at first I was in a hot sweat at the end of them but that too has improved.  I am extremely tired, this is obviously due to the procedure but also the anxiety of the last couple of weeks, plus I am not sleeping too well but better than I thought I would. To be fair I am not a good sleeper at the best of times. I do not go for my results until 24th November, which seems an eternity off. However I am focusing on the now and getting through each day. I have been lucky to have wonderful support from my husband. I have kept all this fairly quiet, having told only a handful of people. I will start to tell close family this week, which I am not looking forward to doing but I know I have done it in my own time.

My top tips are: prepare as much as you can at home before the op', ensure you have strong painkillers, book the district nurse to change your dressing, do things in your own time, buy some decent non perfume wipes to clean under your arms and breasts.I got some Johnsons 'between bath time wipes', they are excellent and big too. Most of all try to remain positive and live in the moment, easier said than done.