325238posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Radiotherapy January 2015

155 REPLIES 155

Re: Radiotherapy January 2015

Gmc ..well done for having a go at that awful man..idiot.
Good to hear your all physically getting there. The mind seems a bit trickier...I rang for my appointment as I hadn't heard so glad I didn't did. Still don't know if its just a chat or they do scans. I want the lot..
Enjoying a lovely bath and glass of wine.

Aww lah, I feel exactly the same, it must be a common end of treatment thingy. I see the oncologist beginning of April and surgeon in September so at least I have appointments, but I just feel so abandoned.i don't like or have confidence in my GP, he sits and looks at his computer screen the whole time I am in seeing him. I had an appointment with him yesterday and brought up a couple of things ie I feel as if when I take a deep breath my lungs don't inflate properly, I asked could this still be due to the pneumonia and blood clot - he said probably. I said after having bladder probs during chemo I still don't think things have improved in that dept - all I got was Karen, you have been very very ill and these things take time!!!!

Sorry, I've had a good old moan too xx

Hi Lesley, sorry to hear you're feeling down. Both my surgeon and oncologist got me to make appointments at the clinic when I was there in December so I know I'm seeing them on separate dates in March. It hadn't occurred to me until you said it but I guess I am glad of having that certainty so I don't have that same feeling of abandonment. Could you contact them or your BCN to find out when they plan to see you?
My underboobage is still red and a wee bit sore but hasn't broken at all. I have some lovely nettle moisturiser and soap which I got from one of the natural soap companies at a farmers market just before all this started. It is unperfumed and supposed to be good for irritated skin so I'm going to give it a go .
Would you recommend the film apart from the snot factor??
Big hug!
Kitt
X

Hi Murphy. The shampoo bar is called stimulating and revitalising. I use a spray on conditioner after on my partly dried hair.  It has  keratin in it.  I have been told I can use coloured mousse on it as long as I comb it through and don't rub it on my scalp. I just don't want to overload it.  The new hair is growing but not nearly fast enough.  Going to ditch the hats at the end of the month and move onto wide headbands.  That is the plan anyway.  May not have the confidence.  Have hit a real low just now.  I am back officially working fulltime but I don't think they are getting their monies worth out of me.  I am actually checking the post everyday to see if an appointment letter has come through for me. I am not fussed who I see.  Surgeon or onc.  Just feel  slightly abandoned.  I know this is a common reaction to the end of treatment but that is not alot of help just now.  Went to see the Stephen Hawkin film last night The Theory of Everything.  Sobbed the whole way through. Must have looked fabulous when the lights went up.  Not a drop of make up on my face, red eyes and the obligatory beanie hat. Anyway things will get better...........

Sorry turned into a bit of a moan only meant to talk shampoo.

How is the boob Kitt?

Lesley xxx

Hi lah, what is the lush bar you've been using? I've read somewhere before that it's suppose to be good but What is it suppose to do and is there a particular flavour you should be using? My hair is probably a mans number one cut atm. It's coming in very salt and peppery!!!

Evening Girls.  Hope you are celebrating Kitt.  What you going to do tomorrow morning????

Go Gill..... You tell him!!  I didnt lose all my hair as I cold capped. However I have alot of new hair coming through where the cap didnt fit well.  I have been using the Lush bar for a few weeks.  A friend who is a hairdresser experienced with chemo hair loss told me to use it.

Enjoy your evening

Lesley xxx

gmc

Thanks Kitt - no more really early alarms for you after tomorrow I hope. My husbands alarm goes off at 5.30 daily as he drives to London but recently I've slept through it !!! Soon be setting mine for work but not for another 3 weeks. xx

Thanks Gill and good for you giving it to him with both barrels ! Hopefully he'll think more carefully in the future but such a shame that people who may well be in similar situations see fit to make life worse for each other !
I've been so lucky having early morning appointments every day (was told just to turn up early for my boosters too) so I've not had to face the stress of the car park scrum. 5.55 am alarm totally worth it !
Kitt
X
gmc

Hi Ladies

Kitt - all the best for the final zapping tomorrow. It's another tick in the box of completed treatments. I bet you won't miss your journey and the parking nightmares involved.

The last time I had to visit the hospital I must have queued for three quarters of an hour and then when I was the next in line to get the next space a man from a car about 6 cars behind me banged on my window and then told me I was holding everyone up and to park in the main car park and not use an oncology space - me with my semi bald head looking everything like a cancer patient! I saw red and totally lost my temper and told him to F off, that I was going no-where and then burst into tears .He did apologise then but I couldn't speak to him ! I have never in my life said that to a total stranger but he was so horrible to me that I had the worst case of potty mouth! Made a right pig's ear of parking when my space did come up !!!

How lovely to be using beautiful creams again Lesley. My skin is looking so much better now but I think I'll wait a few more days for it to recover totally then bring out the good stuff! When I lost my hair I put all the hair shampoo, sprays, conditioners etc out of sight. Still using baby shampoo and not sure when it's ok to use other products on the new growth.

Best wishes all,

Gill XX

Ooh lovely! I'm so desperate for a long hot soak in the bath (big glass of red and John Legend on the iPod 😍). I've been able to do short days and work from home sometimes - do get a bit wabbit still.
Kitt
X

Skin has settled down nicely. Actually used some lovely smelly body lotion today. So fed up with aqueous cream. Got loads left. Have you been managing to get to work after your rads?

Thanks Lesley, yes! Still working out how to celebrate last session🍷🍷🍷🍷
How's your skin doing ... carried on cooking or settling down nicely?
Kitt
X

Last one tomorrow Kit! Hope blue flaky doing okay.

xxx

Thanks Gill, hopefully I won't need it but I'm compulsively organised so good to know!
Lovely day in Edinburgh at Coppelia and nice Thai meal with pals. Able to have a giggle about Smurf blue flaky nipple which is a bit of a relief - my poor husband is still unable to see the humour in any part of this ... unfortunate since my gallows humour is what has kept me going at times! 9 o,clock on a Saturday night and I'm ready for bed😴
Nite girls.
Kitt
X
gmc

Hi Ladies
Kitt- the gel is called Intrasite Gel by Smith & Nephew. Brilliant stuff. Enjoying a lazy weekend. Your beach walk and scenery sounds beautiful Lesley. Have a lovely time at the Ballet Kitt, Best wishes, Gill x

Morning Girls.  Just had a walk along the beach with the dog.  Fabulous day!! Sea calm and the mountains of Arran sitting across the waterl with some snow on top. I am going to take it easy this weekend. Was planning on taking the horse out today but will wait until I have had lunch and a wee rest on the sofa.   I think I overdid it during the week trying to get back to normal. 

Boob doing well and the itchy near the collarbone has settled down.  Still looks a bit red but as long as I don't scratch it absolutely fine. 

Kitt only two to go!!!! Hope your flaking nipple holds out.  Like you say were else could you say something like that.  Whick ballet are you going to see?  I used to go but got out of the habit when the kids arrived and have never got back into it. Where in Scotland are you?

Hope everybody has a lovely weekend

Lesley xxx

That's great, Gill! Can you tell me what the name of the gel is? I only have 2 boosters left and skin holding up apart from a bit of a flaky nipple (not a phrase I ever expected to use on a public forum😜). I'm aware that I'll continue to cook for a while yet so it would be handy to know what to ask for either over the counter or from GP rather than having to trail back to the hospital.
Ballet in Edinburgh for me today ... what's everyone else up to?
Kitt
X
gmc

Hi Ladies

Glad to report that the gel seems to be working well and it is all starting to calm down thankfully. Thanks for all your supportive comments - it really helped. These various threads have all been invaluable over the past year  - so good to chat to others going through the same treatments, problems and emotions.

Hope you are all coping ok with the itches and discomfort. My daughters have started to ask me to babysit now so seems I can be assumed to be a responsible adult again !!! Quite a good feeling to be doing something useful for them again. Going back to work in 4 weeks so will make the most of the time left with meals and drinks out with friends and relatives who have been such a help over the last year. After that the diet will have to start in earnest !

Not enjoying this cold weather but I think you Northern lasses are having to cope with worse than me in the South.

Have a lovely weekend everyone,

Gill XXX

Hi Girls.  I have been taking Priton for the itching.  Seems to have settled down a bit today.   Just have to remember not to sling my handbag over my left shoulder. Had a meeting with my boss yesterday about starting to return to full time work and she was very supportive about taking it slowly. Hope everyone is managing to keep warm. It is tough up here in the frozen north. 

Lesley xxx

GmC. ..i think in some ways this is the loneliest time especially if its not going as well. Loads of support through chemo because its so tough but most find it easy in comparison. I found my self feeling like a wimp so didn't get help as early as I could have.
Things will get better x

Hi Lesley, yes Strictly was great fun .... Thom Evans in a kilt was no hardship at all 😍
Are you taking Piriton for your itch? I'm finding it really helps.
Kitt
X

Morning Girls. Gill so sorry to hear you're  still having problems with your skin.  I was told that was the bit that would be a problem because of the lack of flesh. Mine is red and really itchy but not broken yet.  The rest of it seems to be settling down quite nicely. 

Not missing the daily battle for a parking space in the least.  Had a dream about it the other night though. I found a space up by the old hospital but when I went to get out the car I had forgotten my shoes.  I then tried to persuade a woman walking past to lend me hers but she refused.  Woke up in a right panic. 

I have managed to work throughout my treatment on a when I felt well enough basis and have managed to keep things ticking over.  Went into work yesterday intending to just stay for the morning but ended up in all day.  By the time I got home I was so tired I felt sick.  It has been a bit of a wake up call.  Feeling fine plittering about the house,walking the dog and popping into work for a couple of hours is so completely different from a full day at work. Definately going to try to keep taking things easy.

Kittkatt did you enjoy "Strictly"?  I didnt really get into it this time because of everything that was going on with BC and couldn't concentrate on anything on TV. Normally I love it.

Lesley xxx

Oh dear, Gill - and you thought you'd seen the last of the hospital for a wee while too! From everything I read you are probably at the peak of your fatigue too which is bound to mess with your head so things will surely get better soon.
Lesley & Murphy, how are you both doing? Not missing the Beatson car park too badly, I hope!😜
Kitt
X
gmc

Thanks Jannie, that's very reassuring. Must admit I have been in tears about it as wanted to sail through it and bring "closure" to this whole sod***g year of treatment ! x

GmC. Sorry to hear the burns have got worse. I did find there was a rapid improvement once i had something for mine so fingers crossed for you.I finished 12 jan and almost feel normal occasional itch and lots of peeling but pinker by the day so hang on.
Its very distressing and lonely when it causes problems because we read this is the easy bit. I was in tears sat in the clinic. Hugs.
gmc

Good Evening Ladies

Feeling a bit sorry for myself as had to go back to hospital today to get my radiation burns looked at. The one on my clavicle has got very yucky so had it checked out and was told have had a bad reaction to it. Not unusual apparently and they've given me some special gel to put on it that forms a protective skin. I just hoped that once the rads were over everything would get back to normal. They did say that it has probably peaked now and shouldn't get any worse. Glad to know that something's peaked - not a lot else has!!!!

Hope you are all doing OK. Bit too cold for my liking and really feeling it with only an inch of hair re-growth. Haven't had my ears exposed for  very long time!

Best wishes, Gill XX

Hi ladies, well that's me had my last rads today. Im feeling very emotional, isn't that weird. Thought I would be happy dancing but I just feel, so what now?!?!? I have looked forward to this day for months and months so why don't I feel happier it's here??

Touch wood, my skin has held up ok, a wee bit red and a wee bit itchy, but it looks and feels not too bad after being zapped 19 times. As we all know, the rads keep doing their thing for a couple of weeks after the last treatment. She said today this would be the peak time for fatigue, and to keep using the aqua cream.

I met a work colleague for lunch today, meeting a couple of friends tonight and dinner tom with my hubby.

What will I do next week with no daily travelling through to glasgow and playing hunt the parking space!!!!

Hope everyone else is getting through their treatment without too much trauma xxxx

Sooo jealous....

Lesley xxx

Strictly Come Dancing live at the Hydro for me this weekend😄... soooo excited!
Kitt
X

Best thing so far this morning is not having to check the weather forecast to see how the roads will be on the way to hospital.  Got a song in my head "let it snow , let it snow, let it snow".  Sorry bit Christmasy and not fair to everybody else struggling with the weather.  Be a different sorry on Monday though when I have to be in at work by 8.30am. Boob still cooking away nicely but so far I am impressed with my skin.  Hopefully not speaking too soon.

Last one today Murphy!!!  Enjoy your day and don't be trying to pick up any ambulance drivers with your damsel in distress act.

Hope everybody else is doing okay.  Skin holding out/getting better.

Anything exciting planned for the weekend anybody?

One of my brothers is home from Oman on holiday and is taking us all out for a meal.  I have hardly been over the door in the evenings for months so really looking forward to it.

Lesley. xxx

Well done, Lesley! Hope you & Gill both celebrated with a big gin last night !
Kitt
X

Evening Girls.  That me finished!!!!  Skin good so far.  Final treatment was in a different room and when I walked in the radiographer said  hi to me " your Stuart's mum". She lives in my town and went to school with one of my sons.  Thought my God you are too young to be doing this before I remembered she was 24.  Did feel my age.....  The journey to Glasgow was fine this morning as the sun was shining and the snow ploughs had been out.  The drive home was a complete white out. Felt a bit lost when I got home.  Had some lunch and then went to work for a couple of hours.  Couldn't really think of anything else to do. Strange feeling!!! 

Lesley  xxx

gmc

Hallo Ladies

Hope you're all feeling alright and ticking off the days til it's over.

There's a benefit to having rads done this cold weather -  the heat radiating off my breast and chest is keeping me snug and warm! Using the prescibed hydro cortisone cream twice daily to offset the itching and scarlet skin, slapping E45 on top, torn up pieces of husband's cotton shirt between skin and softee bra and knocking back piriton - seems to be doing the trick !!! Can't believe how red my back is where the rads went through from the clavicle zapping. 6 days post rads and certainly no worse (fingers crossed) even though they said it still goes on working for a couple of weeks.

How are you lovely Scottish girls coping with your travelling in your snowy weather? Luckily in Farnborough we've only had a little flurry - didn't settle.

Best wishes, Gill X

Was your last session today, Lesley?? Must be a bit of a relief! How's the skin holding up?
Kitt
X

The gel was ok on open areas but did not dry under the boob or cleavage just stuck skin together and hurt when I moved like ripping..
Have lots of nice pink skin still using foam under the bra as I'm worried it will rub on the band.i did find firm support better as the weight of breast felt like it was ripping the skin...doreen bra is best for comfort...made the mistake of crop top to sleep but it moved and rubbed too much was agony.
Having said that the worst was over in about a week and down to infection
gmc

Good tip Kitt thanks. hadn't realised that or been given the info! x

Interesting chat at my review this morning ...
Now maybe this is obvious to everyone else but thought I'd share. Was told that when applying cream, if it begins to sting then that's the first sign of a tiny tear. Instead of slathering on even more cream like I would have done, you should stop immediately and speak to the nurse who will provide a gel instead. Apparently the cream softens the skin so encourages tears to continue to get bigger whilst the gel will seal them .
Generally good natter today and cleared up a few things I didn't even realise I was worrying about !
Kitt
X

Hi Kitt.  Same kind of machine with an extra bit attached to it. Kinda square box thing that zaps you from only a few inches away. It doesn't touch you and only zaps the area were the tumour has been. They spent a wee while setting it up but the zap was 8 seconds.  The girls were lovely.  Haven't met anybody who works there who hasn't been so friendly and reassuring. Wish everybody at my work was so pleasant. Obviously they never have arguements with their boyfriends/husbands the night before, have children or get hangovers.

Lesley xxx

I've prepared myself with a selection of crop tops, vests & very soft bras so that in theory the pressure can be slightly different every day. Only day 8 of 15 + 4 today so I'll definitely not get smug about my skin yet!
What was the difference with the booster, Lesley?
Kitt
X

Evening Girls.

We are lucky here and don't have to pay for the elusive parking space. Glad to hear you are starting to heal up Jannie and things are getting easier. I started my boosters today and so far no broken skin. Been told it could still happen but as the under boob and underarm are no longer getting zapped might get away with it. There were two women in front of me who were having their boosters and they were sent off to the nurse to get cream and dressings but they said their skin had broken during the 15 zaps. Love how you can have the most intimate conversations with complete strangers. I have started wearing a kind of crop top thing instead of a bra.  Enough support for wandering about but I wouldn't like to run for a bus. 

Have a lovely evening.  Silent Witness......... Gives me something else to moan about.

Lesley xxx

Highlighted
Nel

Hi was given foam dressing and cream on Friday has helped a little but skin has broken. Only 7 to go 4 of them boosters so hope no more broken skin

Hi all...Finally comfortable yeah..they gave me some foam dressing that i could put under my bra and on the under cup line that has made things much easier bra is now not rubbing and its clearing up the discharge. I found the creams did not dry. Im doing a feedback session to help others starting treatment and going to suggest they give it to larger ladies before skin breaks. I'm shedding skin like a snake but its looking good underneath.

Silent witness ....why do we need any police...? But its a diversion. Quiet like mr selfridge too.
gmc

Hi Lesley,
Hope your Mum gets better soon and glad the Chinese was good. I have spent a fortune in car parking this last year. There is no free paring in the hospitals in our area no matter what your reason for being there. It must now be in the £hundreds as minimum charge is £2.40. for one hour - and it always seems takes longer than that ! So another reason to be pleased the trips there are coming to an end!! xx

And there I thought I was making a joke about you having a day off tomorrow Gill. Good luck with all that. You mentioned free car parking. Did you have to pay when you were doing your rads? No Burns Supper at my Mums tonight as she phoned not long after I posted to say she was unwell.  Chinese carryout instead.  Have not had one in ages. Very tasty!!! Had a heron in next doors garden.  It regularly visits and clears out next doors fish pond.  Also had some seagulls but not really what I was looking out for.

Lesley xxx

gmc

Brilliant, Kitt x

Good luck with all that tomorrow, Gill - what a busy day!
You could always take my husband's approach to the bird count ... disappointed with my results (having watched me empty half the contents of the kitchen cupboards onto the lawn) he added an albatross, 2 ostrich and a dodo!
Hope everyone's weeks go well.
Kitt
X
gmc

Hi Ladies,

Despite finishing rads I still have to go to hospital tomorrow to the lymphodema clinic and 2nd councelling session  followed by a GP appt - which she requested as she wants to review my repeat prescriptions! However, free parking at all these venues and free coffee and biscuits for first two appointments!

Birdwatch count a disaster - they knew !!! Immediately my hour was up a flock of starlings descended along with several other species and polished off all the goodies I'd put out to tempt them in - I swear they were taking the p**s !!!

Good luck girls next week with your appointments,

Gill X

Hi Girls.  I have the same problem with the dog.  Got one wee brave robin that doesn't care though.       Going to my Mums later for my haggis, neeps and tatties .Couldn't stand the taste of haggis up until about 10 years ago. I know there is a cheesecake for desert so not a truly traditional meal but I am looking forward to it. How's the boob Gill?  Still fanning it? What you going to do with yourself tomorrow when you don't have to trek into the hospital?

Lesley xxx

gmc

Hallo Ladies,

Seems I was a bit early with my Burns Night wishes - 2 days in fact!!! Apologies and enjoy your celebrations tonight xx

Hope everyone well and happy. I will be counting the birds this afternoon for the Great British Birdwatch. The cat will be brassed off as she'll be banned from going out!

Hope you're all enjoying some sunshine

Best wishes, Gill x

Hi Girls,
Hope you are all enjoying a relaxing weekend! Remember it's RSPB's big garden birdwatch - great excuse to sit gazing into your garden for an hour whilst being brought coffee & cake.🐓(pretty sure chickens don't count but I can't find any more bird icons).
Kitt
X