cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this normal?

3 REPLIES

Re: Is this normal?

Hi Daisy, as the others have said, it is quite usual to get either a seroma (lymph fuild build up) or hematoma (blood build up) after a sentinel node biospy. I had a seroma the size of a squashed orange under one arm which my particular team were reluctant to drain as this can cause infection and they usually just build up again anyway. Mine eventually calmed down on it's own and is now, 18 months later, just a small painless lump under my arm which is not a problem at all. Take care and I hope all our replies have helped reassure you.  Sue x

I had the same thing and my consultant said it was a seroma. Luckily for me, I did the exercises and it has disappeared now. Surgery was 8 weeks ago.

It can be drained (my consultant said) if it gets red or painful or too large to be comfortable.

Highlighted

Hi Daisy62, 

I am sorry to hear you are feeling this pain and I am sure some of our users will be along to show their support soon. 

In the meantime you can always call our helpline on 0808 800 6000 who will be able to talk through any questions you have about the lump and offer a friendly ear. The opening hours are below. 

Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm
Late opening Wednesday 9am-7pm
Saturday, 9am-1pm

Best wishes, 

Lizzy 

Is this normal?

Had a lumpectomy and sentinel nodes removed 4 weeks ago. I have such a huge lump under my arm....it's pretty firm and about 3 inches long and 2 inches wide....it's not painful but I can feel it there when my arm is down 😕