60649members
319478posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardening of breast and pain - is it back again?

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Hardening of breast and pain - is it back again?

Hi Heather5,

I have never been diagnosed with breast cancer (but diagnosed with thyroid cancer 4 yrs ago), however on the 11th Dec, i had a hadfields operation which is the removal of milk ducts, this was due to a similar problem you are having. I had a breast infection, burning pain in my breast, skin dimpling, inverted nipple and then spontaneous nipple discharge, which under the microscope showed red blood cells which made them suspicious, hence the operation.On 23rd Dec, they diagnosed me with duct ectasia and am on a watch and wait for 3 months. I was happy with the diagnosis until yesterday i started with the pain again, thats what has brought me back to this site.

After my operation, i saw my GP and he said if i get any symptoms or problems afterwards, then to go back. He also did mention if i was unhappy, i am entitled to a 2nd opinion. I don't want to do that just yet but i have to keep a diary of breast changes and discharge from my left breast. So thats what i'm doing. Why don't you jot down when and how often you get the pain and discuss maybe a 2nd opinion, especially if you are starting to have doubts xx

Thanks for your reply dawn.  When I was first diagnosed my consultant advised me to look up my cancer on the internet!  I did this and had difficulty finding any info as it was so rare.  I ended up asking for advice from a very good site in America.  They advised me to ask all sorts of questions such as Grade, form and other things.  I did this but was told that it isn't always a good thing to ask for too much information so I have never asked for copies of anything again.  I am visiting my GP tomorrow about another problem and I will ask if they have had a report back from breast clinic and what that says.  Once again thank you for your help.

I hope you are keeping well.

Community Champion

It sounds plausible Heather though not something I have any personal experience of. Do you get copied in on correspondence between hospital and your gp etc? All hospitals should offer this I think but certainly must do it if requested. I also ask for copies of blood reports and of any scan notes - as my history goes back a long way I have quite a file now and it helps when I am referred to other specialties or hospitals to have that all round knowledge of my treatments as these are never passed on in full elsewhere. I'm saying all this because I am wondering if you have any doubts, or your pains etc. change or get worse you may want to ask for a second opinion. Do keep a careful watch if anything changes.

Dawn

xx

An update. I went to clinic and was then told I needed an ultrasound just to make sure nothing was wrong - the dr I saw didnt know anything about my cancer and left me for about ten minutes while he went to ask a colleague what to do.  I had my ultrasound two weeks later and the radiographer said she couldn't see lumps but could see enlarged milk ducts.  She diagnosed me with ductal ectasia? hope this is right spelling and gave me a leaflet to explain this. She also said it could be pains with my breast settling down from the lumpectomy which was about 18mths ago.  I think I am ok with this diagnosis but still keep getting the stabbing pains - does this sound familiar to anyone?

I hope everyone is ok x

Thanks for the advice dawn.  I am at clinic this afternoon and hope to get some answers.  Am very nervous, think  I am more nervous than previous times.  Fingers crossed that I am just being paranoid!  Hope you are keeping well yourself.

Heather x

Community Champion

Hello Heather,

Neither do I have the same type of bc as yours but what you describe is the same as my experience way back in 1996. My first diagnosis was in 1990 with a large 5cm infiltrating ductal carcinoma. I started with chemo to shrink the tumour, then 30 sessions of radiotherapy. After that the tumour had totally shrunk that they decided there was no need for surgery. Then 6yrs on those symptoms of stabbing pain and a very hard breast (even though the rads had left it hard this was something different).

My advice to you is to keep on keeping on till you are satisfied. It is hard but you have to. Mine wasn't showing on mammo (I understand that invasive lobular often doesn't), it didnt show on the first ultrasound they did and several times they said they couldnt even feel it. Then my nipple started inverting and the skin going like orange peel. Because I just kept on at them they did another US - I refused to let them do a mammo as the pain was too bad - and they found it - it had spread throughout the breast.  It was not the first tumour recurring - it was a totally different type.

Good luck and I hope you get answers you are satisfied with.

Dawn

Highlighted

Thanks Zeppa, I hadn't thought of lymphoedema. Hopefully it will be this.

Thanks June, I will try and give the helpline a ring tomorrow.

Heather x

I haven't got that sort of cancer, nor do I have any medical knowledge, but I wonder if it could be lymphoedema in the breast (which I have). It can be caused by radiotherapy, will harden eventually and can then cause some pain. Can be treated by manual lymphatic drainage. It would show up on an ultrasound. I may be completely wrong.

Hello Heather5

You could give our our free helpline a call in the morning on 0808 800 6000, opening hours are Monday to Friday 9.00 – 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 – 2.00. 

Best wishes

June, moderator

Hardening of breast and pain - is it back again?

I was diagnosed with a rare breast cancer (adenoid cystic carcinoma) in June 2012.  I had a lumpectomy and six weeks of radiotherapy.  All was fine until about 7 mths ago when I started getting stabbing pains again (this was one of my previous symptoms) and my breast started feeling hard.  I went for my checkup after mammogram and told the dr about this - he said he could feel the hardening but that nothing had shown up on my mammogram so it will be fine.  I have since been to my gp as the pain and hardening is getting worse.  GP referred me back to breast clinic and I have an appointment on Tuesday.  Has anyone got any advice for me or suffered with this themselves. I would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks, Heather x