cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fit and Frustrated

8 REPLIES

Re: Fit and Frustrated

Thank you for sharing that's really positive to hear, I work out 5 times a week and it helps with my stress and anxiety so I suppose was worried if couldn't run etc I may suffer mentally, I was on anti depressants for 4 years and don't want to ever go back there

Hi Minimanda

I too was very p'd off when I got breast cancer as I spent a lot of time and effort last year getting really fit!  Great to hear Roadrunners account as I'm planning to try and run through treatment too.

I ran between diagnosis and my mastectomy (Christmas) and a second op at the end of Jan (axillary clearance).  I started running again 3 weeks ago (5k three times per week) and I now feel normal again.  I start chemo next week (FEC-T, then Herceptin & radiotherapy) and I plan to try and run/walk throughout.

When I was at the stage you are at now I did feel a bit low on occasion and I was particularly anxious waiting for biopsy results.  I've got young children and an aggressive cancer - you can't help but have a few doom and gloom moments.  As I've moved through treatment I've gradually felt more and more in control.  Getting back into my normal exercise routine has really helped.

There have been trails on the benefit of exercise and one I read up on said that out of the two test groups the group that did high cardio exercise 3 times a week were 60% less likely to have cancer recurr than the less active group!

Thank you so much for your positive post and great your 8 years on now, I'll keep running as much as can maybe no pbs for while 🏃🏃🏃

I ran all through treatment, and I recommend it both for physical and emotional wellbeing.  I had a mastectomy, chemo, rads, and herceptin.  Immediately after surgery I started walking around the block, building up the distance.  I think I started running again three weeks after surgery.  After that I never stopped.  I got more and more tired through chemo (the FEC was OK, but Tax takes it out of you, it makes the major muscles very tired). I ran the race for life after the 6th of 8 chemos.  Then once into herceptin it gradually got better, then got worse again as the cumulative effect of the herceptin took its toll. 

I was fit and healthy before, so understand where you are coming from.  But all research says exercise reduces the incidence of BC and reduces the recurrence rate so I won't stop running! 

FYI - I am now 8 years on from diagnosis.

Thank you so much that's really inspiring to hear, I have found a local support group who have exercise sessions especially post surgery so with your post and that feeling less frustrated
Thank you

Hi mimiamanda,
Although not a runner, I did the moonwalk (26.2 miles starting at midnight) half way through chemo. I did all my training walks as required on the run up to the moonwalk, and also did race for life and a half marathon walk for a local charity and jazzercise 1 to 3 times a week while undergoing treatment. The half marathon was done during rads and I'm totally convinced that keeping up a level of fitness throughout kept tiredness and the worst of the side effects at bay. I've always done a bit of exercise, but I am also a bit of a chunky monkey, so not super fit by any standards. Hope you need minimal treatment and I wish you a happy and healthy future.

Thank you, can I still run if just need radiotherapy do you know

really sorry to hear this. Sadly although risk factors raise your chance of getting breast cancer, as you have found out you can get it regardless. How quickly you recover will depend on what treatment you need, but it is possible to get back to a really good level of fitness. I hope for good news for you after your surgery.

Fit and Frustrated

I keep thinking it's ironic I ran my first ever marathon, I got a ballot place and chose BCC as my charity raising lots of money which spurred me around the 26.2 miles. Never for one minute thinking it would happen to me. I'm youngish very fit healthy don't drink or smoke and no risk factors.
So I'm really frustrated as what more can I do to prevent reoccurrence.
I came off anti depressants last Sept and feel strongest I have in ages, signed up for races throughout year. Now wondering will I still be able to run etc
I have surgery on 24th but unsure until 2 weeks after what treatment I need so feel my life on hold.
Sorry just really feeling frustrated today x