cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Chemo

17 REPLIES 17

Re: First Chemo

hi all

Had my first chemo on 24th Oct, 1 of 4 sessions, was ok for 2 days then felt really rough , sick and im afraid the other end aswell.

i know the chemo drug im on induces this, docetaxel, and carboplatin, but am i allowed to take anything for it?

anyone had or got the same? not feeling sick now , just the other end Smiley Happy

will prob ring nurse and ask her if it carries on today aswell

take care all

Jane

hi nicnac

glad all went ok well done with the cold cap.In my case the 5th dose was worse just wanted to get it all over with and it was mainly the tiredness also it was christmas last dose 12 dec. it was little things that really annoyed me like having mouth ulcers but the only thing i could taste properly was spicy food which then made my mouth ulcers scream and the lack of energy but i wasnt that bad i had to stay in bed i still made the meals did a bit of housework paced my self really . coming up to the third week i felt ok .Lost my hair at about 17 days after 1st chemo but many ladies have had good results from the cold cap soon be a distant memory keep intouch love Gill

Hi gill seem to be doing fairly well after the 1st one fely sick first 4 days wasnt sick though tired on sat and seem ok again now even managed a full day out with my 2 kids today still have all hair at the moment but early days i expect. Did the cold cap for 3 hours on monday was really pleased with myself. Do you normally start to feel worse the more doses u have ?

hi Nicnac15

how you doing after your 1st chemo Gill

Thanks ladies for your replys will look at that thread murphy be good to talk to other people.

Sounds like your doing well venice25 and very positive i will finish around feb next year once radiotherapy is completed xxxx

Hi Nicnac

Dont be afraid I was exactly like you this time last year my 1st chemo 23 august 2013 infact I was a complete wuss terrified of everything. You will be fine the nurses are excellent you wont feel anything except small sting when they put the canula in. You may not get very many side effects and it doesnt happen straight away having said that i did feel a bit sick that night but meds sorted it out and was never actually sick. I did try the cold cap it wasnt too bad at all but i gave up because of the extra time it took. I thought I would be distraught about losing my hair and tried to keep hold of it for as long as possible but got a great wig i wasnt the one for scarves and caps Have full head of hair now finished all my treatment end of jan 2014.there is always someone here on the forum who will have gone through whatever you may experience no matter how huge or small to support and give you advice. You must remember there all lots of ladies out there that have no problems or very little side effects and you may be one of them. this time last year i never thought i would be writing this it all seemed so daunting i was also lucky to have a brilliant husband You will cope sorry sounds like a lecture be thinking of you on the 20th love Gill 

Nel

Thanks Murphy will do xx

Hi nel so sorry to hear you have been in hospital but glad you are feeling better now. It's so scary but yes I would rather phone than leave it in case you are being silly.

Nicnac, come over to the October 14 thread, you will meet lots of lovely ladies who are all going through chemo, all having or going to start around the same time as you. I have my second fec this coming Wednesday. You will be fine, it's not as bad as you think it'll be.

Love xxxxxxxx

Hi Ladies got my first chemo on the 20th October and to be honest im so scared as i dont know what to expect im putting a brave face on to family and friends saying im ok ! i think its the not knowing how i will feel after it, i have two young children aged 6 and 10 to think about too i have got a loving husband and family to help out  i am going to try the cold cap has this helped anyone ? xxx

Highlighted
Nel

Hi all had a wee blip this week.  Was very tired last Sat and was sweating through the night into Sunday. When I woke on Sunday morning my gums were turning dark and swollen  and I had a temp of 38.5. I telephoned for advise and was instructed to go straight to my accident and emergency admitted and immediately given intravenous antibiotics.  Silly me not wanting to be a winer should have phoned sooner as I had Neutropenia.  I was in hospital on antibiotics drip for 4 days.  Got discharged on Wednesday evening with a furher course of antibiotics for a week. I had been very silly not wanting to waste the doctors time and ended up very ill.  So the motto is "never doubt check it out" . My consultant has told me anything and everything MUST BE CHECKED OUT. PHONE PHONE PHONE NO MATTER WHAT.

Nel

Thanks Debtex phoned the helpline and have organised a prescription from my Asda Store to pick. This form is sure a god send with so many lovely heplful ladies .. glad that's me sorted love Nel x

I can totally remember being where you guys are when I started back in May, I've had 7 of 8 and just want to say you can do it, just remember that each one done and every side effect suffered brings you closer to the end of it!!!!

Me too nel but I also have a back up supply of metoclopramide . Have you had your nebulas ta jab thing yet .? Got mine later from district nurse x
Nel

Thanks girls .... we all have tobstick together. Have been a wee bit queezy and the rablets seem to help. I only have enough left tiil end od weekend does anyone have to take these longterm or should this be for a short time after the chemo session x

Don't be scared Mel . After ten minutes it does get better it's worth a try and I felt so good that I had done it . Another lady opposite me gave words of encouragement that it had worked for her and indeed she still had a good head of hair . My biggest problem was despite going several times before I needed to wee after an hour , I managed ok but that was the worst thing . Good luck I will be thinking of you xx

Well done with your first chemo, its good to hear possitive feed back.  We all know its not going to be easy but you both sound very brave.

I will to be trying the cold cap next Wednesday (although I think that is scaring me more than the chemo), Debtex you make it sound doable thank you x

Hey nel I'm so pleased for you thank goodness it went well for you . I had my chemo yesterday felt sickly last night but a tablet shifted it and slept well . I hope this encourages everyone else who is starting after us I had the cold cap and I'm amazed how well I tolerated it . My nurse was lovely so gentle nothing hurt me and the time passed quite quickly . I am missing taking my daughter to a horse show today which is sad but probably not best for me at mo ! Take care !! X
Nel

First Chemo

Hi girls had my first chemo on Wednesday. Was ok. Nor scary at all. Only thing is today been a bit sqemish and boalky.  But picking up as the day went on.  Have all the support and love of my wonderful husband and family. Have also had so much support from friends past and new as well as neighbours. You only realise how muc love their is when something like this aweful thing knocks on your door. The peopke on this forum are also an inspiration to me.