324893posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Breast reconstruction

20 REPLIES 20

Re: Breast reconstruction

Hi, I did a blog when i was having my DIEP last year - you are more than welcome to a copy if you would like to read it.
Pm me with your email address and I can send it to you if you would like

hi Stelwah it is a nervey time but I'd like to tell you my experience to help a bit. my implant matched very well even without clothes (not that I went nude anywhere!) but it did feel different to me and was numb. It is also a bit lumpy in places, but I've got used to it now. It looks great in clothes and noone can tell (which one was it lol). your surgeon knows his job and will do his best to get an even match as possible. Good luck hon Smiley Happy x x

Thanks ladies - good to hear you are getting good results with your different surgery options. My surgeon seems great so trust him, just nervous on what the implant will look like compared to other breast.

I had a unilateral mastectomy with a DIEP flap on December 30th.  It was tough for awhile but really glad I made the decision.  It looks quite nice and even bought a bikini top to wear after 15 years of a one piece bathing suit.  Did not have my nipple replaced..just want to leave it alone.  It is soft like my natural breast.  Great result.  Good Luck with whatever decision you make.  Everyone is different.

Hi Stelwah

I had MX and LD (back) flap reconstruction 3 weeks ago. Don't be worried about that as an option.... it is a big op, but I am completely happy with the result. Obviously, it's nippleless at the moment... but it really is a very realistic result.... and I like the fact that, because it is using tissue and muscle from my body, it really does feel like 'my breast'. It really doesn't feel, sensation wise, any different to the other breast. I poke it... and it feels like me! Obviously, it has a longer recovery time, but in the greater scheme of things....! x

Hi Stelwah, I am having mastectomy and implant reconstruction next week. The expander implant is pumped up over a period of time to expand or keep the skin stretched. They describe it has a balloon that is slowly pumped up. I am not sure if this is a permanent option or temporary implant while radiotherapy takes place and it enables the skin to stretch until a silicone implant is inserted. The back flip is my 2nd option which I am also trying to avoid. There are pro's and cons with all the reconstructions.

Good luck GLB38

Hi ladies. Can I ask what is meant by an expander? I've just had my last chemo session, and due to have mastectomy in Sept. Only option really discussed for me is an immediate implant, but mindful that I'm likely to need radiotherapy so this is likely to go hard and need replacing in future. The back flap is my secondary option, but trying to avoid if poss. Useful to read about your experiences.

Hi I took eight weeks off after mastectomy and reconstruction,.mi didn't have radiotherapy. My job is very demanding, I'm a nurse practitioner in a hospital. Even after eight weeks, I went back on a phased return. It was three months before I felt I was getting near normal

HI GLB38. Sorry you've been so poorly and off work since jan.

Personally, I went back to work after a month, but I am still taking it easy and find it painful at times as I have developed cording down my arm and stomach.. But I didn't have rads like you will be. I've got some SEs from tamoxifen too, but it's doable!

But I haven't ridden my horse yet, and won't be for at least a week. She's not going to like the heavier weight on her back when I do!

take care

Smiley Happyx x

Hi all, Can I ask you all.....what is the reasonable time spam for returning back to work. I have been off work since January 2014. I had chemo until July (was poorly) now surgery due 6th August then it will be radiotherapy. I know all your recoveries and treatments are on different levels... But when do you know the right time for going back to work? Breast cancer is a trauma and worry for every woman to go through mentally too.
Thanks for all your replies... GLB38

Hi Kitten mad,

You are brave to have the LD flap....I felt ill after the surgeon explained that procedure to me. I will take my list of questions with me. I think all of the threads are positive about surgery and the pain management is controlled......that's reassuring. Good luck GLB

Hi Songbird68, Thanks for your reply. Glad to hear you are doing well. I had all my pre op assessments that went ok yesterday. Keep up your excercises , I think yoga and swimming are recommended so I have been told. Good luck x

GLB38

hi GLB38. I had mx direct to implant in june this year, no expander. I remember it being painful when I woke up from surgery, but they soon fixed that.Smiley Happy 2 drains in for five days. They were ok, if a bit inconvenient (they give you a baggie to carry them around in). no pain when they removed them - but they sure go in further than you'd think! recovery good. I am almost back to normal now, just about to step up the exercise regime. Good luck and if you want to know anything else just ask ok? Hope this helps. x x x

Hi, you can keep the implant expander in permanently and they can remove the port Fter it's fully inflated. In fact the onlyY irritation was the port, which stuck out of my skinny chest.
Your op is almost a year to the day as mine and I've come a long way
Good wishes to you

I had small implant and LD flap, quite a big procedure as all of the skin from breast removed too, so more of an op than most people.  All done at same time as emergency mx. I had my chemo and rads done before this though. I would definitely make a point of asking about the risks of having an implant before Rads take place, also if it would disturb (not really the right word) but hopefully you'll know what I mean, the previous recon surgery. I am pretty sure it can. I was back at work after 8 weeks and driving after about 4 weeks, my op was on the Right side. It looks great in clothes and a good match (not so good in reality) when unclothed. Implant part is fairly soft, and I have a great cleavage, which I never had before!  Hope this is of some small help to you, write all your questions down as it is easy to forget while you are in the consultation.

Good luck

K M x

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I am having the mastectomy on August 6th and implant reconstruction at the same time. Can the expander be a permanent implant, you seemed quite pleased with the result? I will be having radiotherapy and I was wondering about any damage radiotherapy may cause.

I am due to see the Surgeon again in the next week or so to discuss my reconstruction treatment.

GLB x

Thank you for your reply. I will take meds and all they offer. Sorry the implants didn't work for you. My cousin had the DIEP and she says all positive things about the op. She says it was very easy compared to having chemotherapy. The DIEP is my second choice of surgery if the implant fails.

Good luck. GLB x

I had implant recon last August. The pain was not so bad. Have you already had a mastectomy ? The drains were quite uncomfortable. But the results are great. I had a tissue expander implant, which looked really good. I've since had implant on my good side and had the expander swapped for a permanent silicone. Unfortunately this one needs another op to get the final look just right. But do t let that put you off.
God luck
Highlighted

Please do not concern yourself about pain post surgery.It is now well managed,and take what is offered.Can be uncomfortable ,but if you have regular paracetomol,and morphine as and when,you will be fine.I can't adviced you on implants.I have had saline,silicone and expanders.None of them liked me and had to be removed .....going for the DIEP now.Take care.

Hi GLB85 and welcome to the BCC forums

You may be interested to know that our helpliners can put you in touch with someone who has had reconstruction via email or telephone and you can read more about this service here:

https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-services/talk-someone

Here's a link to the BCC reconstruction information which you may also find helpful:

https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-information/treating-breast-cancer/surgery/reconst...

Take care
Lucy BCC

Breast reconstruction

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in January 2014 and I have recently completed 8 cycles of chemo. I am now to decide my breast reconstruction operation. I have never had surgery previously and I admit to being terrified especially the pain that follows the surgery. Can anyone advise me of their experiences of reconstruction and pain after surgery. My first choice would be implant surgery, I have been given the option of back flap and stomach tissue. I am having radiotherapy following surgery. (This is my first posting on the forum). I would appreciate all replies. Thank you.