Reply to this thread

Re: Advice after Axillary node clearance

Hi Cartwheels (Ali)
Did you go for auxilia nodes clearance surgery or opt for radiotherapy underarm ?

Regards

Hi

Im flying to Portugal for my daughter's wedding in a little over 2 weeks. I ask my BC Nurse about a sleeve or something although I've not and don't want any lymphodaema cording was bad enough so I want to avoid this. BC Nurse said they would only give me a sleeve if I had it & to make sure in flight I'm moving around & moving arm. I'm going to drop in clinic tomorrow as I'm having horrendous side effects with meds so I'll ask again about flying.
E J

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum and am finding all the advice really helpful. I had no idea prior to my own diagnosis, just how many women are affected by this disease. I had neo adjuvant chemotherapy followed by mastectomy and lymph node clearance back in November.  All ok now apart from mobility issues which seem to be common and no radiotherapy needed. I am soon due to go on my first foreign holiday, to the South of France. A fairly short flight but I am worried about lymphodaema which I have thankfully managed to avoid so far. Does anyone know if it is advisable to wear a compression sleeve or do anything in particular to guard against it please?

Hi Pauline,
I had the same op as you on 17th Jan, after 6 rounds of bro adjuvant chemotherapy (tchp). I got my histo results yesterday. One node still positive, three had resolved, rest clear. Breast lump had reduced to 1mm from 25mm. I have just been told rads, herceptin and hormones from here. I wasn’t offered more chemo. I do need a second op to improve margins on breast lump but that should be easier than the first op.
Hope you get the drain out and get good results soon x

I had a full clearance under my right arm 14 August and it been 3 days now that my hand and arm have been very uncomfortable and swollen. I’ve tried ringing the Lymphoedema clinic 3times this afternoon but no one has rung me back. I’m worried that it’s going to get worse by Monday 

I had right mx and 17 lymph nodes removed - 3 weeks later i was able to drive.

I had axI'll aryl node clearance 34 removed. I'm 10 month after surgery. Still get discomfort under the arm and numbNess persists Have to do the arm and shoulder exercises every day otjerwise it stiffenseems up and feels uncomfortable. Only had one lymph node that was cancerous butility was told I would have to have clearancertainly as this waseems NICE guidelinesite. Wish I had gone for a second opinion as feel like I would have been ok just having the seminal nodes removed.. managed driving after a few weeks but it was my right arm might have been more difficult if it was my left for using handbrake. My arm is still a lother weaker so can't carry heavy bags as frightened I will strain it and end up with lymphodema.xx

Hi. I have had 1 node with tumour after lumpectomy and sentinel removal.
As single parent of four I am seriously considering not have the auxillary removal,
My main concern is not driving and being self employed... not working !! With the operation what is everyone’s own experience please with driving ?? I’m still due to have radiotherapy and tamoxifen once decision is made
Community Champion

Hi Lapponialadka

Good the forum is helping. The numbness is very common after node removal, even if only one out, so if she has had more out then she will be numb for sure, and for a while afterwards. Weird feeling trying to wash your armpit and not able to feel what you are doing. Hopefully she will have been given advice re excercises to do to regain mobility? Best wishes to her and to you. Lots of other threads to read if she goes onto further treatment. xxx

This thread is really very helpful. My mum had lymph nodes removed on Tuesday, but was sent home Weds morning. No nurse exam and the info on here has been reassuring as she has numbness.
Community Champion

Hi Sarah, what a special club were in! Pleased the surgery went well. I had a full clearance, too, and I certainly found the trickling water sensation weird. It's the fluid looking for another route! Please do keep doing your exercises, you'll need full movement fir any CT scans and radiation. I'm 11 weeks post op and I still feel as though I have a book stuck under my arm pit. Just funny, not painful. You'll find we're all different, and some very good stories to tell. Good luck. X

Hi all. Great reading all of your comments and experiences. I had my lumpectomy and full node clearance yesterday. Wasn't given any other options as sentinel node had 18mm cancerous tumour. Get results in 2 weeks about others to see if spread. This was after 8 rounds of chemo which I started in October. The node and tumours in breast had both shrunk at half way stage..but at final mri had both increased again. I guess they didn't react as well to the 2nd lot of drugs. But nobody knows this at the time. So glad they've gone now.

Day 2 post surgery. Very sore and swollen. Trying to do the exercises. Nobody told me about this numbness!! Whole of armpit and down back of arm. Read that some of you say that this persists even months later? Wow. I guess I will get used to it. Just praying I don't get lymphodema.

Hope all of you are staying strong and as positive as you can. Very difficult at these haRd times

Love and hugs

Sarah
Community Champion

Hi Sarosh, had my WLE and total excision 6 weeks ago. Would like to help you, but not too sure what you need.

If you are worried about immune system after LNE then you have lots of others around your body . My consultant and BC nurse told me to wear gloves for gardening and housework, especially with chemo. 

You need to do exercises to ensure that any fluid build up is dispersed otherwise you will get Lymphodema - not good! Once the lymph nodes have gone, your body has to find a way of dispersing fluid. This may feel a little peculiar at first but settles down. I still have some pain under the arm. This will always feel numb as the nerve has been severed to get to the glands. Hope this helps.

Good news is,you are cancer free!! Just belt and braces now to get you fit for the future. Well done you. X

I'm going to have chemotherapy soon. Just had lumpectomy and axillary nodes clearance. Any suggestions as I'm too worried about the side effects.
Community Champion

Sorry, Donna, just re read your post. Mine came out on day 5 as the drain registered less than 30mls in 24 hours. However, I was told that it could only stay in for a total of 7 days anyway because of the healing process. Not sure why you have had yours in so long. Have you had problems?

Community Champion

Hi Donna, I had a really lovely district nurse who had me doing deep breathing. When I was centred she clipped the stitches , then very firmly pulled the drain out. I did not find it painful, rather a sort of sliding sensation. I chose to lay down for it and made sure I was very comfortable. I felt this would help her slide it out sideways , rather than pull down over . Anyway, worked for me. Hope this is reassuring for you. So much freedom when it's out!😄

Hi Donnack

I didnt find it at all painful and didnt realise the nurse had already done it !..so dont worry too much !

I had lumpectomy and axillary node clearance two weeks ago today (drain still in).  I get the results of surgery tomorrow but scans only showed up one raised node.  My thoughts on it are Im glad that they removed all nodes.  I dont want any little rogue cells sitting dormant in any of my other nodes.  My body will learn to drain the fluid in that area some other way and I will continue to do my exercises and look after my arm to decrease the chance of lymphodema.

The drain is also being removed tomorrow - I have been told its sore - anyone verify this?

Hi Cartwheels

I wasnt given the option of radiotherapy rather than getting my lymph node clearance I was told this was what NICE guideline presently recommend. I had had a choice Im notsure which way I would have gone but  if they were going to give me radiotherapy to the armpit anyway i would have probably opted for that but it they said it was either or  well that would be a tougher decision as I would have t consider the implications of getting more radiation zapping my body versus the  the difficulties with the LNC op.  Ive heard that radiotherapy shrivels up the lymph nodes anyway so they dont function afterwards but not sure if this is true.. dont envy you in your decision.. I am presently grieving for my Lymph nodes (I know it sounds a bit dramatic)especially as they took out so many which were healthy but at the end of the day it was my decision as did not want to risk leaving lymph nodes in when they may have cancer in them and was told this was the only safe option. hoping you manage to make a decision soon as must be really hard for you x

Hi RachelElizabeth

sounds really difficult ! sorry to hear you have to have chemo and hoping it isnt too bad for you. I am still hoping Chemo wont be recommended to me but if it is I suppose I will just have to get on with it. Even the thought of taking letrozole for 5 years worries me as I always seem to suffer a lot of side effects with any medication. I know for certain I will need radiotherapy,not sure if this will be as well as the chemo or an either or thing. Getting radiotherapy scares me too and wandering about the effect of that on my skin , breast and body..Ive heard it can discolour  your skin and leave scars..and make you feel very tired but a small price to pay if I get rid of the cancer..Feels like a bit of a time bomb to me as Im always wandering if it will come back but trying to put that thought out of my head and concentrate on eating well and doing my exercises to give myself the best chance of recovery. Take care x