Reply to this thread
Highlighted

Re: 27 year old with a newborn!!!

I'll pray for you and hope everything will be fine.. Wish all the best for yot and your baby <3

Sorry to hear the nausea has been a bit worse this time round :-( hopefully it will only last a few days and then pass.

Oh ok, yes it would be interesting to take a look at it! I think we can private message on here but haven’t quite worked out how to do it yet!

That’s interesting to know, although I hope the EC doesn’t get worse! I’m not looking forward to Friday as I’m having it done first thing in the morning :-( would prefer later in the day so it’s closer to going to bed and sleeping it off!

So pleased to hear you got the Zoladex injection sorted in the end! I bet you must feel so relieved! Yes it is a horrible needle, it really hurt the first time I had it done at the hospital. In contrast, the second time I had it done by a nurse at my GP practice and she was much better! I was told they can numb it beforehand but I said if she is doing it next time I think I would be able to brave it!

That’s good you asked him about it. I’m sure he will choose whatever is best for you.

I’m glad to hear you have lots of support from friends who are new mums as well! I’m sure she will get better in no time at all and you won’t even realise it has happened. We had exactly the same problem!

Our little man is doing well thank you! Moved him into his own room this weekend which has been great and he has really taken to his food as well, his favourite has been banana so far! Before you know it you will be making purées for Ellie!

XxX

Definitely have more nausea this time so it feels like side effects getting a bit worse each time, no vomiting yet though so I guess that's good.

I'm in this facebook group for young women with bc (I can send you details if you'd like to join) and generally people say side effects are better on taxol than EC so I wouldn't worry about the change! Heard from a few people who didn't use cold caps that their hair even started to grow back during Taxol!

So I finally saw the oncologist yesterday and asked him about the zoladex, he was a bit vague when I asked him why he didn't mention it before but they gave me the first dose yesterday so I just hope it's not too late yet! Bloody hell the size of that needle!!

I also asked him about carboplatin the platinum based chemo and he initially said I would get it if the genetics test was positive but then later he said I should take it anyway because of my 'advanced triple negative' as he called it so I'm a bit confused...I guess I might as well take it if there's any chance it will help, he did say it affects your white blood cells a lot more so there's a bigger risk of having to delay treatment because of low white blood cells.

Yeah I normally try to plan in as many friends visits as possible in between treatments, it's nice to stay busy as it takes your mind of things. I've met quite a few new mums through NCT and other prenatal classes so I see them quite often, it's nice to just talk about babies sometimes without thinking about cancer!

Ellie is fine, she has been a bit colicky but I guess that's normal, everyone tells me it should get better after 3 months which she will be in about 2 weeks so I hope it will settle then. Despite all the bad stuff happening time has gone by so fast I can't believe she's nearly 3 months already! How's your little boy doing?

Xx

Yes I probably do feel good enough but thought it would be best to save my energy! I was told that whatever side effects/experiences you had the first time round it generally remained the same or very similar so if that’s how you have been feeling each time then I would expect that pattern to continue for you which would be nice!

I did wonder if there would be a difference between the 2 drugs. Did anyone say what it was like when they finished the EC and had the first cycle of the next drug? I’m kind of expecting that one to be quite bad due of the change but I could be wrong!

Yes I have looked into counselling and am having a pre-assessment next week to match me up to a counsellor. Hopefully I won’t have to wait too long to get started properly! I think it is a good idea to have something in place anyway.

We have been trying to do an outing each weekend, with just the 3 of us, which has been nice so will be doing something like that this weekend! Then in the week while my husband is working I normally go and see various family members or friends for the day.

How about you? What have you been up to this week while you have been feeling good? Other than exercising of course!

How is Ellie doing? Has she settled a bit more yet now the weather has calmed down a bit?

Well I hope your bloods were ok and all the best for tomorrow! Will be thinking of you and hope that it isn’t too much worse than usual! I appreciate you might be quiet on here for a few days but when you can and feel up to it, please let me know how you’re doing!

Take care

XxX

Do you feel good enough for running between treatments? The first week after chemo I don't really have a lot of energy but I seem to be ok the 2nd week, I hope it will continue this way!

Yes I'm going for bloods today... fingers crossed!

Everyone I've spoken to says that EC is much worse than Taxol so even if it does get a bit worse it's only 2 more sessions and then it will get better! You're already halfway through the worst bit Smiley Happy

I've signed up for counselling, starting in about a week so hopefully they can get me through it once it really starts 'hitting' as I am worried about that as well. Have you looked into counselling yet?

I hope you can take advantage of feeling relatively normal the 3rd week,  have you got anything nice planned before your next chemo?

Xx

Wow that’s great, I used to run as well! I had just got going again for about 4-5 weeks and then I was hit by this bombshell!

Oh yes, I forgot you are having yours 2 weekly, we will now be out of sync! It’s scary how quickly they come around again, am worried that I am going to start to feel worse with the next one!

No results yet, I had my test done on the 4th July and was told it takes up to 8-10 weeks. I have a telephone appointment booked for 13th Sep to find out but was told they would contact me as soon as they got them back so could hear earlier than that! I had mine done at Guys Hospital, is that where you went?

Yes you’re right I did have surgery first. Have you been told for definite you will be having a mastectomy after then? I thought they decided that after your chemo had finished?

Had a few side effects but nothing major, hard to know if they have been caused by the chemo or the ridiculous heat though! I’m doing ok thanks but just worried about it eventually ‘hitting’ if you like as I have been coping ok with it so far! Guess you feel the same?

As you are having your treatment on Friday, I assume your blood test is tomorrow? If it is, I hope it goes ok and you get the green light for go!

XxX

Hi I feel fine this week, have been to the gym and running, trying to get back to my pre pregnancy fitness! Got my next chemo this Friday, I think yours is next week Friday right? How do you feel now?

I still didn't get the genetics test results did you? I need to chase them again...

I haven't discussed monitoring yet but I think you're a bit ahead of me in the process as you've had surgery already right? I will need a mastectomy after chemo which will hopefully be just before Christmas so I still have quite a long way to go. 

Do you have any side effects apart from the hair loss? Hope you're doing ok!

Xx

Community Champion

Hi LittleA
I’m under East Kent Hospitals & went to all 3 local hospitals for investigations & diagnosis, purely on getting the quickest appointments for each stage.
I finished treatment just over 2 years ago & am on a 5 year follow-up. This includes a yearly mammo & an appointment with the surgeon. I did not need chemo, so was discharged back to the surgeon for the 5 year follow-up. Others I know, remained under the oncologist for 5 year follow up.
Don’t know if this is any help, but I’m in the same area.
ann x

Hi Micje,

How are you? I hope you have had a nice weekend! Sorry for my late reply to, the past few days seem to have flown by!

That’s good news that you have had a period! I still had a period after the first zoladex injection, about 12 or so days after, and asked about this and they said I shouldn’t have anymore now that I have had my second one. Fingers crossed they sort it out quickly for you when they both get back and hopefully it will be in time! When is your next chemo session?

Did you ever find out anymore about what is going on with your genetics test by the way?

How has the nausea been? I hope it has eased up for you now! Sorry to hear your gums are sore, did they prescribe you with any mouthwash or anything? If not you should definitely ask as I’m sure there is something they can give you to help with this! Other than that though, it sounds like you are fairing up well again this time round, especially as you are attempting exercise! Very impressive!

I was wondering, has anyone discussed with you what monitoring you will have after all your treatment is completed? If so, do you know what it is you will be offered? I am just curious to know what other trusts offer for a comparison!

XxX

Sorry for the late response...I was in a bit of a state because I was stressing about the zoladex and couldn't get hold of the oncologist or the breast nurse,  turns out they're both on holiday this week! 

So I'm going to have to wait until next week to speak to someone which is not ideal... But I actually got my first period today since pregnancy so I just hope that means it's not too late yet!

My hair is falling out fast now,  I have some bald patches on my head but I'm not quite ready to give it all up yet so I'm wearing caps or a head scarf and just hope I'll have enough hair left to get away with it. Taking a shower is depressing enough seeing so much hair going down the drain...

I'm also hopefully going to start counselling next week because a colicky crying baby just makes me cry every time she cries!

How do you feel now? I think I'm generally ok apart from obviously the hair and my gums are really sore. I even tried going for a run but the port was moving around so much under my skin that it was really uncomfortable. . might try to do a bit of cycling at the gym this weekend

Xxx

Did you manage to speak to the nurse today about the injection?

Sorry to hear you have been feeling a bit rough. I think the disrupted sleep with the little ones doesn’t help! I have felt a little nauseous but then found that actually I was hungry and once I’d eaten something and had a drink I felt much better. I’m struggling to keep on top of drinking enough though!

Wore my wig to the doctors today and was really pleased with it! Felt very comfy and didn’t blow away so all in all was a success! How is your hair doing with the cold cap treatment?

Have you got a catch up meeting with your oncologist soon or is he still away?

XxX

Hhm I'm a bit angry now that nobody mentioned zoladex to me,  and worried it's too late to start now! I'll call the nurse first thing tomorrow see what she says. 

Yeah so when I was at the hospital for bloods on Thursday they told me children are not allowed so I didn't actually bring her with me! Luckily my husband could work from home so my sister could still come with me. 

I didn't sleep so well these last 2 days, nausea seems to be worse during the night and it's hard falling asleep again after Ellie's night feeds. Have you been sleeping ok?

I'm sure you'll look great with the wig and at least it's not so hot now that it will get all sweaty and itchy! Is it comfortable to wear?

Xx

Glad to hear yours went well and you are doing ok! I was pretty much the same as you to! My treatment was delayed for an hour though as they were running behind so was there a bit longer than planned!

Yes I have heard of it as my oncologist recommended I give it a go so I agreed to try it. I had the first injection 4 days before my first treatment, and I have got my next one on Monday! I’m surprised they didn’t mention it to you, when is he back from holiday do you know? Could you ask the cancer nurse about it perhaps?

No I didn’t bother with cold cap in the end! I had some severe hair loss today so have just got my husband to cut it now! Feels so much better, I wish I had done it last week now, would have coped far better in the heat! Will be giving my wig it’s first outing tomorrow I think! Need to go to the shops to buy some veg as we are starting weaning with my little boy! I hope Ellie is doing well, how did she get on at the hospital with you and your sister?

Hope you continue to feel alright tonight and get a good sleep!

XxX

So 2nd chemo done and finally it's cooler which I think helps. Using the port was fine and they put a new dressing on it and told me to come back on Monday to have a look at it. Bit of nausea but nothing too bad. How are you? How did it go?

Have you heard of a drug called zoladex? Apparently it can protect your ovaries but my oncologist never mentioned it to me! I wonder if it's too late now and i couldn't ask him yesterday because he's on holiday Smiley Sad

I've noticed quite a bit of hair falling out but you can't see anything yet. Are you using the cold cap? I'm really hoping I will have enough hair left so I don't need a wig! I've started wearing wide running headbands which hides the fact that I've stopped washing it and should also hide bald patches on the top. Plus it keeps my head cooler in the heat!

Xx

Yes mine has been itchy too! But like you said it is probably from the heat! Can’t wait for them to take the dressing off tomorrow just to get some air to it! My neck has felt much better as well and am able to move it around now!

I was told someone would call me if any problems with my blood results, so as I haven’t heard anything I’m assuming I’m all good to go ahead tomorrow. Did you have yours done ok today? I hope yours were alright to!

Aww that’s so nice for you, I hope you have a lovely meal together!

What time is your chemo tomorrow? I’m up at 10:15am, which is earlier than last time (I was at 1pm for my first one) so gets it done and dusted at least! Am hoping the thunderstorms happen tomorrow afternoon/evening! Can’t take this heat any longer, without adding any chemo side effects to it as well!

How are you doing on the hair front by the way? Mine has been falling out but no bald patches yet so hanging in there! Will probably shave it off soon though as it is making quite a mess!

Anyway, all the best for tomorrow, hope you don’t feel too bad after! Let me know how you get on if/when you can?

XxX

My neck feels a bit better today fortunately but because of this bloody heatwave the dressing is so itchy! And I'm supposed to keep it dry which is very difficult if I'm a sweaty mess the minute after stepping outside! I think they did say they can use the port on Friday but hope they will just remove the dressing if it's not bleeding or weeping?

I need to go for bloods tomorrow and also really hope I'm ok for Friday! Did you get your results yet? Fingers crossed!!

Aww I'm sorry you can't take your little boy with you but at least your husband is with you and it's nice that you have family close by and they can babysit. 

At least from Saturday it should be a bit cooler as this heat is horrible enough as it is without feeling a bit rough after treatment! 

My sister is going to babysit tomorrow night so that me and my husband can go out for a nice meal for the first time since Ellie was born!  She's been very grizzly today as she had her first vaccinations and it breaks my heart to see her in pain but it will also be very nice to have a baby free meal for once and spend some quality time with my husband!

Xx

Sorry for not replying sooner, I was at the hospital for ages yesterday! Port is in, that doesn’t seem too bad but the incision in my neck is quite painful and I’m struggling picking up my son as well! Hopefully it will pass in a couple of days!

Have you got your blood test tomorrow? Did they say if you can use your port straight away? I have mine and I think they said it can be used but they will need to redress it again for me! We will see how it goes! Fingers crossed blood is ok for me to proceed on Friday! I can’t believe 3 weeks have passed already, am not looking forward to the next one only because it is supposed to be 29 degrees that day!

Yes I loved Guildford when I was there, I think because it was very similar to Canterbury though! Everything is on your doorstep!

No I don’t take my son with me as it says on the ward no children are allowed. We have arranged it so my husband comes with me and a family member/s look after my son. As you said, at least your sister will be there so if your little girl needs something she can be on hand. Hopefully in this heat she will just sleep through while your there!

XxX

[ Edited ]

So the port is in, it's a bit painful but not too bad,  just feels very strange and the skin over it feels very tight. 

I'm glad my mother in law is here today as picking Ellie up and having her against my chest feels uncomfortable, hopefully it feels better by tomorrow morning. How did yours go?

We've got some family in Canterbury but I've never actually been there,  I've heard it's very nice though! 

I love living in Guildford, it's such a nice town. Did you like it when you were here?

Yeah you're right,  they did give me some contact details for counselling but so far I've been putting it off as I didn't think I really needed it....i guess I should try it anyway as it won't hurt and it might help dealing with all this!

So this Friday I'll try taking Ellie with me to hospital, my sister will be with me as well so she can help with feeding and changing during the chemo,  I just hope she won't have a massive crying fit while we're there! Do you take your little boy with you or do you get someone to babysit?

Xxx

Oh I know Guildford, I have family there who I lived with for a year! My husband went to uni there as well! I’m in Kent, (Canterbury) so not that far away!

That’s confusing about the genetics test, you should definitely chase that up!

So sorry to hear about your Mum xxx

Yes it is scary and I have felt a whole range of emotions over the past couple of months! I have been given the contact details of a counsellor by my cancer nurse so am thinking I will arrange something with them soon. Perhaps you can ask your nurse for a contact if you think that might help? It’s always worth a try to see!

Good luck with the port fitting tomorrow, I will let you know how mine goes as well! My appointment is at noon XxX

[ Edited ]

They didn't even give me the choice between the port and picc line but from what I know a port is much better.

I'm in Surrey (Guildford), what about you? It's nice that we're close to Gatwick and Heathrow so that family can get here easily.

My sister has met Ellie once already but that was just after she was born and she's grown so much since so it's nice that she's coming again even if the circumstances are not great this time!

I'm not actually sure they've done the genetics test yet....I was going to get it done privately and they've sent blood for it but then my insurance said they won't pay for it so I'm trying to figure out now if the NHS can pay for it or whether I need to do it again on the NHS!

Ok I'll ask my oncologist about this additional drug because if it helps I want it as well! My mother died of breast cancer 28 years ago but never got tested for the gene so there is a significant chance I've got it as well.

Do you get scared sometimes? I'm generally coping ok but couldn't sleep last night and just kept thinking about what if the chemo doesn't work? What if the cancer spreads and I die and leave my husband on his own with our little girl? Scary thoughts....

Xx