Reply to this thread

Re: 27 year old with a newborn!!!

How strange! It was a no brainer to have a port rather than a picc line for me!

Where abouts in the country are you?

I’m sorry to hear your family are further afield but great your sister is coming over to see you soon! That will give you a boost and something positive to look forward to! Has she met your little girl yet or will this be the first time?

When did you have your test done? I had mine done on the 4th July. It’s just such a long wait to get the results which makes it even more nerve racking! I wish they had done it right at the start!

My oncologist said that if it was the BRCA gene they would add another drug alongside the paclitaxel. I can’t remember what it was called, something beginning with P and I believe the genetic counsellor said it was some sort of platinum based drug? I think she discussed it then so I could sign the consent form for it to be added in if required, rather than having to go back again and sign a separate form for it.

Do you have any family history of breast cancer or any other cancer? No one in my family has had breast cancer and the only other cancer there has been in the family was down to lifestyle factors (I lost my Dad last year to lung cancer but he had been a heavy smoker for years and years!)

XxX

I'm also having a port fitted on Monday Smiley Happy

Yeah I know what you mean, maternity leave is meant for you to enjoy life as a family and enjoy your baby, instead I'm spending lots of time in hospital!

My family all lives in the Netherlands and even though it's only a 45 min flight away it's hard that I can't see them so much now. At least my twin sister is coming over to the UK for a week for my next chemo session.

I'm also still waiting on genetic test results but they didn't tell me anything about changing treatment if I've got the BRCA gene, do you know what would change for you if you've got it?

I am having the same drugs as you but I think timings may be different. My EC is every 3 weeks. Not sure about the paclitaxel yet as I might be having another drug along with it, depending on my genetic testing results!

Yes I am still on maternity leave, wasn’t due to go back until next year anyway but had not planned to spend my time off like this!

That’s good you have plenty of friends around to help? Have you got family close by as well? We are lucky that all our family live no more than half an hour away so have had plenty of help from them, along with friends to.

I am having a port fitted on Monday. Have you got one or a picc line or something else?

XxX

Yeah I noticed the lump when I started expressing colostrum just before she was born... they didn't really investigate until about 5 weeks later though because they thought it was just caused by lactating changes in the breast or mastitis.

They probably would've told you the same if you noticed anything while still breastfeeding so don't beat yourself up about finding it sooner!

I'm just glad it's just the one breast and one lymph node and nothing else, I was so scared waiting for my PET/CT and MRI results that it had spread everywhere!

I'm doing 4x biweekly EC then 12x weekly paclitaxel, what about you? I just hope I can recover quickly enough to stick to this schedule! I'm in the morning as well on the 27th but I'm doing the scalp cooling as well which means it will take all morning!

Are you still on maternity leave? I had planned to be on mat leave until the end of this year anyway so at least I don't have to worry about work for now, I'm also lucky to have some other mummy friends around and they've all offered to babysit when I need to go to hospital so that's good because my husband can't take a lot of time off work unfortunately.

I’m sure the chemo will do it’s job and then the surgery will be there if needed to remove whatever is left if anything at all.

Did you notice your lump while you were still pregnant or was it after you gave birth you became aware of it? I found mine after, I think when my breasts shrunk back after I stopped breastfeeding that’s when it became apparent something was wrong! I felt so stupid for not noticing anything sooner!

Aww bless you, you are doing a great job! They are difficult at that age as they don’t have any kind of pattern or routine yet and the only way to tell you they want something is to cry! Give it a few more weeks and you will know before she does what it is that she needs/wants next! They grow up so quickly, I’ve only got a couple of weeks and then it’s time to start weaning my little boy!

How funny we are on the same day! I think mine is a morning appointment this time, how about you? Do you know what you are having after your 4 x EC?

I’m not sure how I feel about the hair! I have had short hair for years now and I have had 2 haircuts since finding out so have gone even shorter each time so am hoping it is not too much of a shock for me. I have a wig ready and waiting as well which I am very pleased with so that is making it less daunting for me. How about you?

XxX

The oncologist decided it was best for me to have chemo first because the tumour is so big and growing so fast....I really hope the chemo works!

It is good having my little girl but it's hard as well sometimes when she cries and I can't seem to settle her it makes me very emotional!

My next chemo is the 27th as all well. Just dreading my hair falling out now which they say could happen any time! How do you feel?

Oh bless you, at least you have your little girl finally! Makes her even more precious! She will be your strength to help you get through this! I know having my little boy around has helped enormously!

Pleased to hear your first EC went well and you are coping ok so far! I have been the same thankfully, am hoping the next one is similar to! My next one is on the 27th, when is your next one?

I hope you don’t mind me asking but was it your decision to have chemo first or did your team decide that for you, or was it just that chemo was available to start sooner than having surgery first?

XxX

Hi Little A,

This is my first baby. I wish I would have more by now as I'm 35, but years of trying, miscarriages and ivf meant that we only have our little girl,  unfortunately chances seem very slim of having another one after chemotherapy... I'm having 4x EC then 12x T and don't feel too bad after the first one fortunately. How do you feel?

Hi micje,

I am so sorry to hear of your diagnosis, but thank you so much for getting in contact! Did you have a little boy or a little girl? I hope baby is doing well and letting you get some sleep!

Can I ask how old you are? And is this your first baby or do you have any other children as well?

I started my chemo recently too, on the 6th July (I am having 4 x EC on a 3 weekly basis to begin with). How did your first session go?

XxX

Hi little A,

I've got a 7 week old baby and got diagnosed with grade 3 triple negative breast cancer 2 weeks ago and just started chemo. I'd love to chat and share experiences!

Hi Little A

It's Emily here from Breast Cancer Care.

Like Ann said, I'm sorry that you've found yourself here but glad you've found the Forum. 

While you're waiting for responses on here, I just wanted to let you know that one of our email volunteers called Zahida had a one-year old when she had her diagnosis and chemotherapy (she was triple negative as well). You can email her at zahida@breastcancercare.org.uk

Or if you'd like to chat to someone over the phone who's been in a similar position, feel free to call us on 0345 077 1893 and we'll match you with a volunteer to chat to.

Best wishes

Emily at Breast Cancer Care

Community Champion

hi littleA,

Sorry to see you're here, but glad you found us. What a shock for you, especially with a little one.

There are certainly others here with children, who will be along to share their experiences, there's loads of support here.

Do look at the 'going through treatment' part of the forum, where you will find the monthly chemo threads, where you will be able to chat & get support from others going through a similar stage of treatment.

There is also the 'younger women & families' section, although that can be a bit quieter, as most women who are newly diagnosed, tend to hang out in the 'newly diagnosed' section.

Although of course, you'd rather not have to go through this, but thankfully, it as been diagnosed & can now be treated.

Sending hugs

ann x

Highlighted

27 year old with a newborn!!!

Hi everyone,

I am 27 years old with a 4 and a half month old baby and have just been diagnosed with triple negative breast cancer! I had a lumpectomy and lymph node removal 2 weeks ago and am due to start chemo the beginning of July!

I was wondering if anyone is in a similar position having a baby or young child while dealing with all of this, in particular during chemo? Would love to hear from you or anyone for that fact, especially if you have any tips for the chemo and how I can try and fulfil my role as a new Mummy as best I can!

Many thanks,

Little A xxx