Highlighted

Re: Tamoxifen and men

That link does not work

Hi. I am afraid that I cannot help you, but I can put the word around

Doug

Always do my friend - Always do Smiley Very Happy

coming up to 13 years now since i got the news  - so doing well - also got to know a lot of people in my journey, who havent been so lucky - still think of them now and again.....

David..

Keep on keeping on David

Good Man - like your blog - well done...good luck with the journey..

David

Thatnks for that David. That is interesting to know and may help me make up my mind.

I think that awareness for men with BC is slowly getting better.
Have alook at some of them on my latest blog

https://dougeharper.wordpress.com/2015/08/13/crosby-steals-nash-and-young-the-police-have-been-calle...

With apologises for the corny gag in the title 

Take care 

Doug

Hello Doug

I know this is an old thread - but i was one of the men who stopped taking Tamoxifen - i had the same symtoms as you and i seemed to blow up - by this i mean - woke up in the morning normal by the end of the day I just felt bloated...

anyway - i took Tamoxifen for 2 years - then was told, it was up to me - my choice was to stop - never looked back - lucky I know - but no side effects... drug free ever since...

this was some time ago - diagnosed in 2003 with BC very active on this site for a few years - then lost heart with nothing done for Men with Breast Cancer - it will always be deemed a female problem - but men are still dying of ignorance...

good luck and take care 

David 

Interesting to see that you were on Arimidex and that is was not worthwhile, as I was thinking of asking my Oncologist to switch me to that.

I was on Arimidex but was switched to tamoxifen after about 2 years because the oncologist said that arimidex wasn't proving worthwhile.

I didn't suffer dizziness or anything physical (other than zero libido) but I did develop an annoying inability to remember words and names of things.

i was on arimidex in 2008/2009 and Tamox from 2009 to 2011.

I am now 61 and in a technical work situation it is annoying, and rather early for senile decay so i suppose it must be effects of chemo or other drugs, but i couldn't say which.

probably not much help to you, but I am enjoying life as a survivor, so that is the main thing. 

Hi Jo.
I have spoken with a number of people including people at BCC but I will have a chat soon

Hi Doug

I hope some of your fellow forum users come and give their help and support, it must be difficult for you being in a minority, we don't seem to be getting many men using these forums of late.  Could I suggest you give our helpline team a ring and have a chat with them about your concerns, they're here to support you through this.  Calls are free 0808 800 6000 lines are open now unti 5pm today (9-5 weekdays) and 10-2 Saturdays.

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Tamoxifen and men

I started taking Tamoxifen in Jan 2012 and I am still getting a load of negative effects from my treatment, including fatigue, dizziness, mood swings, memory problems and losing concentration. Never great at multi tasking, I am finding it impossible at the moment. I find it really difficult to walk upstairs especially when carrying anything and it seems to be getting worse.

I appreciate that there are not many men that have had BC , but the lack of info for us is frustrating .

I have so far only seen one survey online about the affects of Tamoxifen and its side effects on men and that involved just 64 men which is not much of a survey.

Out of the 64 men 13 stopped taking it, but the survey did not mention if they had a recurrence of cancer or if they were fine after coming off of it.

No one seems to know what I should do, GP or Oncologist  as there has not been enough research.

I looked on line for an alternative and came across Arimidex but all I could find was research into women. It is so frustrating

Doug x