Highlighted
Community Champion

Re: Newbie

Reported

Judy - thats the best way "just get on with it" i struggled with the drugs (Tamoxifen) for 2 years, then was told i could stop - didnt take anything after that, my body will look after me - so far so good - lucky i think really - aches n pains - but thats old age (nearly 63 now)
All the best - i am here if Dave needs a chat - hope the holiday goes well too - tell him to keep out of the sun though...

David (DWrig128)

Hi, David. Thank you for replying. Things have moved on since my last post. Dave is doing well following the surgery. He is due to have 2nd Tax on Thursday. Has had 3 Fec to start, three weeks apart, he coped quite well with those. The first of the Tax was quite bad, as we had expected. He had been used to feeling normal after day 7 on the Fec, but still rough up to day 14 on Tax. He had his first Herceptin also and tolerated this well, thankfully. Just hoping his blood count is ok as don't want to have to postpone any treatments. We are due to go on holiday 2 weeks after the last Tax (this was booked months ago before he was diagnosed and we can't cancel) so really hoping to still go. Its good to hear you have had a positive outcome. It makes us feel more optimistic. I view a lot of the posts on here to get an idea of the ladies tips and advice who are going through the same as him and find it very helpful. At the end of the day he is just getting on with it and takes it all in his stride.

Judy

[ Edited ]

Did you receive any assistance with your enquiry - its been a while since your post - it appears men dont use this site any more - I am happy to help in anyway i can - I went throug BC in 2004 - been nearly 11years now - somethings will have changed since my time.. but if i can assist with anything - please let me know..

David

Our main concern at the moment is, I have a cough and cold and we are concerned if Dave comes down with it will they postpone his surgery on Wednesday? He is understandably wanting the op over and done as quickly as possible. It is all very unreal at the moment as there doesnt appear to be anything wrong with him. But we realise once he has the surgery everything will change.

Hi MrsP

Firstly welcome to the BCC forums, I am sorry to read of your husbands recent diagnosis.  As well as the support I'm sure you will soon be offered here you might find it useful to read the BCC booklet 'men with breast cancer', it contains lots of information which may be helfpul. To download a copy or read this on-line just follow this link:- 

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/men-breast-cancer-bcc14

Also if you would like to talk things through please do give the BCC helpline a call on 0808 800 6000.  Here you share your concerns with someone who will offer you emotional support and practical information.  Lines are open today until 2pm and weekdays 9 to 5pm.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator 

Hi, my husband was diagnosed with bc 2 weeks ago and is due full mastectomy this coming wednesday. Surgeon is hopeful not spread to lymphs but wont be sure till has the sentinal lymph removal at time of surgery. It appears he is HER2 positive so chemo and herceptin are planned. Its hard to beleive that a couple of weeks ago the above statement would have been totally alien to us as we were one of the many that didnt think men got bc. How wrong we were. I hope you dont mind me 'crashing' this men's forum, but Dave is a bit of a technophobe. I am hoping to get some support/advice from you guys as so far you seem to be a rare as 'pink elephants'.

Dave is a bit of a workaholic so keeping him resting while he recovers is not going to be easy.