Highlighted

Re: New website for men with breast cancer

Good on you for including men in your bc fundraising efforts Sue. Here's a link to my story: http://malebreastcancercoalition.org/Survivor%20Stories/rod-ritchie/ You are welcome to use it in any way you like.

I am currently raising money for BC, would like to raise awareness in men, most of my donations have come from women, two men have actually donated and not on my just giving site, its like a taboo subject in men, can you help with maybe giving your story, the pack i received from BC does not give an example at all which does frustrate me some what, this is an equal disease and to make men realise this is not about women.  thank you 

Community Champion

[ Edited ]

I entirely agree that men need the opportunity to share their experiences, And it is very important to provide the information.  I was questioning the theory you presented about why women use forums and men don't  , simply because I think the problem with getting men to talk about breast cancer is a much deeper one. I would suspect it's not simply because of them already having people who are supporting them , in the women around them.

I think there is more likely a complicated set of emotional constraints with the terminology 'breast cancer' , the Demasculating that exists in the mind (sadly) in having something that women get...even the jokes about 'moobs' and so on, can't help matters. I'm just Giving some thoughts and  trying to help really ; just providing the space to talk about it may not be enough, as there are deeper issues to tackle. If it were even called something different in men like, err, I can't think of anything......darn

sorry, not trying to be difficult at all, I think it's great you are taking this upon yourself....and just by publicising it will get it across to people that this problem exists in men too.  

"Lots of men find it easier to not talk about problems and hide them away, they don't feel comfortable with sharing their fears and feelings with even close friends. So, maybe women just naturally want to reach out and seek reassurance and reassure others ? " Very True Charys, but men do talk to other men on prostate cancer forums. And certainly all men don't fit the same mould. In any case it's important to provide a forum with information on MaleBC, since while many men may not post, they would certainly read the material.
Community Champion

[ Edited ]

......but if they are well served then do they need an online community? Sorry, not being rude to you, but querying the theory. 😊 See I'm not sure about the theory, as I suspect ( some massive generalisations here I know, and I appreciate all men do not fit the same mould) some of it might be in the sterotypical male female differences in 'talking about problems'. Lots of men find it easier to not talk about problems and hide them away, they don't feel comfortable with sharing their fears and feelings with even close friends. So, maybe women just naturally want to reach out and seek reassurance and reassure others ? 

Encouraging men to communicate about something like this must be quite tricky, finding the right avenue to facilitate support. 

Thanks Charys. I have a theory that men with the disease are well served by female caregivers and don't need to seek help from the online bc comunity. And the converse is that women with bc are poorly served by males and hence seek the help and fellowship that is so freely given on this and other sites.
Community Champion

Hi Traveltext,

I admire you for trying to reach out in support of those 'silent men' who are also diagnosed. I had a look at your link, and read some of the pages, and agree that the 'very pink' branding must have some impact on men feeling included. I wonder if also the fact that breast cancer is seen as only a female problem, makes men entirely embarrassed to associate with it as they will be seen as 'less of a man'. I don't know what the answer is to be honest, but I'm sure there is a genuine need for a more male orientated environment to have discussions. X

Ok, good suggestion, will do. I know men with this disease are loathe to post, not just in the UK, but here in Australia. And in the US, on the world's largest bc discussion board, breastcancer.org, I've virtually been the only guy with bc posting regularly for the past two years.
Community Champion

Might be worth reposting this in the have I got breast cancer section and the recently diagnosed section of the site.That way more men looking for advice and support may see the link .As you can see there are not a lot of posts in this section.

Thanks Jill. I'm mostly promoting the site on Social media and through the bc charities. With Pinktober rolling around, I'll give the site an extra push. Unfortunately the pink hoopla surrounding this disease means men are less vigilant in checking themselves for suspicious lumps. Later diagnosis leads to poorer prognosis.
Community Champion

Great idea Traveltext ,hope you manage to publicise the site .

Hi Traveltext,

Thank you for sharing this information site for men with breast cancer. 

You may also want to take a look at our information page on Breast cancer for men. 

If you would ever like to talk through any questions you may have you can call our helpline on 0808 800 6000 who will be able to offer a friendly ear. The opening hours are below. 

Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm
Late opening Wednesday 9am-7pm
Saturday, 9am-1pm

Best wishes, 

Lizzy 

New website for men with breast cancer

i'm two years post treatment and NED. Because info for men is so hard to find I have launched a new web site here: www.malebc.org

all feedback is welcome.