Re: BC in other breast within a year of 1st diagnosis

Thanks for all the comments ladies! I’m still nervously waiting for the MRI - I chased hospital yesterday and I’m hoping I hear today or tomorrow! I’ve booked an appt for my coil removal so go that to look forward to tomorrow! I’ve also started the pip process as I didn’t claim last time when I should have!
Love and luck to everyone xxx
Community Champion

The interview is as soul destroying as the form I'm afraid - and yes you really need to tell them you on at your worst . I looked at this site for some tips - it helped a bit .
https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Claiming-Personal-Independence-Payment-(PIP)/Get-ready-for...

Thanks Jill, It really is, dreading the interview stage if I get that far. I had a lovely woman from Macmillan fill the form in for me. She said be honest and imagine yourself at your worst. It was 5 days after chemo, I couldn’t get any worse lol. What we have to go through for a little help!
Community Champion

Sending you understanding hugs SnoozySuz re PIP form - soul destroying experience listing what you can't do and focussing on the negatives!!

Hey girls, sorry not been on a while, I’ve been in a pretty dark place recently, 5th Chemo was a bitch, but I’ve lost 2stone so they going to lower last dose next fri for final chemo. My right breast (where the original TN cancer was) has been tender so getting scans on Fri, hoping it’s nothing. I’m def having the double mastectomy and recon, just waiting on a date. I have spoke to a few male friends who assure me a decent man won’t be put off, so feeling a bit more positive. Unfortunately I’m going through the ‘missing him’ stage which I hate myself for, cos he is a d**k for cheating and giving up on me.

Anyway my problems are small. Unicorngirlmummy I’m so sorry. What are they saying? What treatment are they planning. Wishing I could give you a big hug. Cancer really really is a biatch. It is so unfair.

Hi Warcol, I’m also 43, with a 12 and 16 year old. Sorry your having to go through this again. I don’t know much about your cancer, I didn’t ask too much 2nd time, it’s not TN this time and is Herceptin positive so I’ll be getting Herceptin jags until Jan. my last chemo is next fri. All I can say is I’m trying to stay as positive as possible for the kids, we only had a 6 month break from end of last treatment but they were used to seeing me tired so nothing new for them this time. I won’t be getting tamoxifen tho. Youll get a few tests before they decide on treatment, those for me were the scariest bit luckily it hadn’t spread. We’ll be here for you if need to let off steam.

My fingers are really bad now, can’t do buttons or chop onions. Also been having terrible nightmares so been put on sleeping tablets. They don’t work. I know a lot of this is to do with the break up but I’m turning into a nervous wreck. I’ll even admit I had a tiny thought that it would be easier if I wasn’t here. But that didn’t last long. I’ve come too far and would never ever do that to my kids. It’s a horrible place to be. It was after I filled my PIP form in, have been persuaded to apply for it after going on sick pay and it’s a horrible form to fill in. Makes you face up to your illness.

Enough from me, hope all you other ladies are doing fine. Delly how are you doing? Big hugs to everyone xxx

Hi ladies, So sorry that you have to through this again warcol. I’m also 43, my youngest is 10. I have TN so don’t have any advice but just wanted to say hello and send a hug. I found out today that my cancer had returned for a third time! It really has no shame! I’ve had 4 operations, 2 lots of chemo in 2016/17 and then 2017/18 and radiotherapy. When do you find out your results? How are you doing Susan? And you Delly? Walkerlass? Xx
Community Champion

Hi Warcol, So sorry to see you back here on the wrong side of the fence , what rotten luck.

ER + is mostly less aggressive than TN and doesn't always involve quite so aggressive treatment plus as Jill says you have the extra protection of taking Tamoxifen for 10 years after to help prevent reacurrance. 

I can imagine how devastated you must be feeling, once is more than enough for anyone to deal with but as you know only too well that you have to face it and deal with what needs to be done , that doesn't mean you can't feel bloody well furious at having to do it again though! 

Xx Jo 

Community Champion

Warcol

Hello and welcome to the forum, sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed in the other breast.

ER+ is oestrogen receptor positive, so part of your treatment will be a hormone blocking tablet which you will take daily for up to 10 years. 

I am post menopausal but take tamoxifen which is usually given to ladies who are pre menopausal, however I have osteoporosis in the spine so my oncologist advised that I take that as it is easier on the bones.

You will probably have a dexa bone scan before you start on them, this is to check your bone density.  It is a very very simple xray of the hips and spine, takes about 10 mins to do and does not hurt at all.  It then gives the benchmark of your bone density and will be checked every 2 years.

There is a very good leaflet on here which will probably explain it better, here is the link

https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/information-support/facing-breast-cancer/going-through-treatment...

You will get loads of help and support on here from the wonderful ladies, come on here whenever you need us and there will always be someone here to help.

Sending you hugs

Community Champion

So sorry you have found yourself back here Warcol .Generally ER plus tumours are less aggressive than TN and you have the added " bonus " of being able to take Tamoxifen to help prevent re-occurrence .It also means that your tumour growth is fueled by oestrogen and so other things may be offered to reduce the levels of oestrogen being produced in your body e.g. Zoladex injections that shut down your ovaries while you are in the medication .🤞 for good news from your scans .Jill x

H ladies
I’m 43 with 2 small children (7&4) and had TN in 2016 HAD chemo WLE (R) and rads and feeling fab! Yesterday following mammo US and biopsy confirmed new tumour in left breast which is now ER+! 5cm tumour and just waiting to see if it’s contained or spread! Devastated to say the least but don’t know anything about ER+ welcome any advice
TIA

Morning girlywhirlies,
Unicornmummy - I guess you're waiting on results then are you? You any idea when you'll know? My fingers are more than crossed for you for that. Thanks for the explanation.

Snoozy - Hope you have a good "bashing it out" session with your BCN and it's helps with a very difficult decision. It's always going to be "scary", whenever you decide. But I'm glad to hear you haven't dismissed your initial feelings to get it all over and done. Would it be better "sooner", timing wise, or "later". And yeh, I'm sure the thought of meeting someone else is probably the least of your priorities right now.

Loadsa love xxxxxx

Morning ladies, how are you? Tuesdays appointment wasn’t great! I had the ‘highly suspicious’ area removed yesterday. My consultant said there’s a small chance it could be a pocket stitch cyst but that it was very suspicious and that my options are running out 😬 I feel quite optimistic or maybe I’m seriously deluded!! Metaplastic is a rare cancer Delly. TN is triple negative so only chemo and radiation it can have. Hope you’re ok and have a good weekend xx

Thinking of you today Unicornlass, hopefully you get some positive news. You must be so worried.

I’m going to speak to my BCN to see what my options are regarding the mastectomy. Both my surgeon and oncologist have suggested in the past that I could just have the lumpectomy after chemo and then think about the mastectomy next year and part of me wants to do that, as the thought of going through it just now seems scary, but at the same time I think I should just go for it now and get it over and done with and move on. It’s a daunting thought trying to meet someone new, I think that’s at the back of my mind too.

Most importantly tho I need to think of the kids, and the risk of it coming back if I don’t go for it. At the end of the day they need me more than ever now.

I managed back to work 2 days last week and then luckily had a few days hols to take. I’m on sick pay now, things just keep getting worse. Have applied for PIP just waiting to see if I get it.

Hugs to you girls xx

Another Heck for you then too Unicorngirl, flower.
Jeez, I hope Tuesdays check proves to be it's nothing serious, tho' I can full understand your worry. I don't mean to be insensitive, but what is metaplastic TN?
I'm amazed you've been back at work only 4 weeks after having finished your chemo. What do you do?
I'm still not good, but thanks for asking flower. My hands are becoming more of a pig - terribly frustrating when I've always been manually skillful work and diy wise. Get me upset, so keep pushing my mental state down.
Much love to you girlies. xxxxxx

Morning ladies,

Oh Susan, so sorry to read you’re in such a bad place 😔 Good news that the chemo is working though. As Delly says, if your gut reaction was to have gone with the mastectomies & that it can be done whilst your kids are with their dad, that was always a big concern for you. You have to do what’s best for you so that you can move forward. Such rubbish timing 😐

How are you Delly?

I finished chemo 8 weeks ago, they decided after 4 that as the lung nodule hadn’t changed I’d stop at 4. After the Easter weekend I noticed a small purple protruding lump about 2 inches below my scar. I’ve got an appointment in breast clinic on Tuesday. I feel sick with worry. It came back quickly last time, it’s metaplastic TN & whatever I read isn’t positive. All of my eyelashes have gone in my bottom eyelids. I’ve been back at work 4 weeks & exhausted. It now feels like it’s all been for nothing. Sorry to be so miserable!

Susan, I hope you start to feel better soon from your chemo. I know that cancer is tough in relationships, to have gone off with someone else though, shame on her too! 😡 Big hugs xx

Heck Snoozy,

Although that's great news on the tumour shrinkage, I'm soooo sorry to hear about your break-up Smiley Sad Such a shame he couldn't hack it, so to speak. You're having to be understanding to others difficulties, lacks, weaknesses in coping with. As if the vagaries of BC haven't been enough, 'ey. 

Is that now why you're having second thoughts to having the double recon? Or the shrinkage has changed things for you? Or are there other reasons too?? That's a helluva difficult decision.

Just a point to consider from my own experience, and resulted in a long awaited recon (7yrs!). Life can sometimes have a habit of throwing up other unexpected obstacles (and brown stuff!), that can then cause delays. With hindsight, I'd have opted and pushed for immediate recon to both, got it all out of the way back then when I was stronger mentally and a bit younger too. As it had a long term impact on my personal life/confidence, from a single person point of view. Prevented me from pursuing dating and a relationship. Not that it would everyone, that's just how it affected me. 

You had your reasons for your initial decision to have both masts and immediate recon. If it was your absolute gut - I'd follow it and go for it, if you're feeling strong enough to, and give the time to yourself to get sorted. Then go find that "better" guy?!

Sorry you're also having such a tough time chemo wise. Will those be your last two? Hope so. Hope you can find some extra strength from somewhere to stay strong.

Loadsa love to you and everyone

Delly xxxxxx

Hi girls hope you are doing ok, things not great here, chemo is flooring me. I made the decision to go for the double mastectomy and was allowed to wait until after my holiday in July, but my bf has decided that he no longer wants to be with me, that we have lost our ‘spark’ and has gone off with someone else.

So now don’t know if I can got through with the mastectomy, if I do if I can bring it forward as the kids will be away with their dad so will be easier being in hospital if they are not here, or just having a lumpectomy and thinking about the mastectomy later.

Not in a good place right now. On the positive front the tumour has shrunk from 21mm to 13mm after 3 chemos, I’m a week after chemo no 4 and feeling awful, but oncologist talking about lowering my next 2 doses which should help.
Highlighted

Hi girls

Sorry I've been off radar.

Corr, daughters and rocky roads and pancakes - yum yum. Crikey Snoozy, you make your recons sound like a spare bits farm!! And not big enough implants??!! Lummey woman Smiley LOL Awwwww, It must be sooo bloomin tough losing hair, lashes, eyebrows. Especially second time around. I'm admiring your upbeat attitude, even if you may not be feeling it deep down. You're looking pretttty good from here though, girl!! Heart Not so good on your own self needle admins. How did your daughters party go?? Wild?

Unicorngirly - Another Awwww, "dodgy chemo hair and not many eyelashes" for your daughter. I hope you're over your last postings side effects. How much longer have you to go, you and Snoozy?? What is it about boys/men, and emotions?? Thank you for asking after me, flower.

Oy, you two - I keep missin out on the kiddies Macs parties ;-(( !!

Much love to you both

Dellywelly xxxxxx 

Hi Susan,
Oh what a long day 😕 Is that number 2?

My daughter has just turned 10. That’s what we did for her birthday a few weeks ago funnily enough, 5 friends, bowling, McDonald’s & a sleepover! Hope it goes well!!

Well done doing the injection 😘

I feel not too bad the last few days. It always starts almost straight away for me. This was number 4 & by far the worst one, the side effects really lingered this time. My legs & arms are still very achey but I do feel more human now!

Good luck with your picc tomorrow, rotten timing just after chemo bless you. It’s not too bad, remember to ask for a prescription for the plastic sleeve.

Hope the side effects are kind to you & good luck for Friday too, what a week for you! 😩🙈

Hope you’re doing ok Delly?

Lots of love xxx

Hey Unicorngirlmummy, stop feeling guilty, this isn’t your fault, we are just more than unlucky. How old is your daughter again? I know it’s hard but we are going through this to stay around for our kids. I’m going a bit mad and have organised a wee party in the house for my daughters 12 birthday and 5 of her friends this Friday, when I know I’ll be feeling crap, but we just get on with it for our kids don’t we.

Was there for 8 hours again on Friday, they hadn’t ordered my chemo until the could check a spot on my face I mentioned when they phoned me the day before to check how I was. I told them it was just a yellow pimple but what a drama it caused. I got there at 10.15 and didnt actually start the doxetaxal until after 2. Luckily my brother was on hand to pick me up and feed me a McDonalds. Also have an appt for Tuesday morning to be assessed for PICC line so hopefully get that in place soon.

My proudest moment was today when my district nurse didn’t turn up so I had to do my filgrastin jag myself. Was such a big thing for me as I hate needles and yes I cried after it. Think it was tears of relief tho. Just don’t know if I can do it every day but we’ll see.

Hope your ok, you’ll be feeling pretty rotten now won’t you. I’ve been ok but it’s about day 5 or 6 it kicks in. And how are you Delly? Hope your doing ok too.

Much hugs. Susan xx