cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel insurance

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Travel insurance

Hi,

I've used Insurewith the last couple of years, really reasonable. I have yearly insurance with them,when I developed further liver mets I had to pay only £9 extra for the year.

They covered my mum who has heart failure and cancer so could be one to look at.

Good luck!

Bev x

Community Champion

Hi

Just to say that I have bone and liver mets and also have had previous problems with my heart, all in all not a good combination when you want to get travel insurance.

I am currently insured on an annual policy by AXA PPP and it covers worldwide. They only do annual policies from what I have been told but it’s about £400 or so for the year which I think is very reasonable considering it includes USA. They don’t ask any medical questions other than ‘have you been told your pre existing condition is terminal’ That will obviously determine whether you think you can take the policy out. I have not been told I am terminal so I took the policy out. In fact they have also recently paid out on the policy for a holiday cancellation I had to make when I knew I was starting a new chemo.

Hope this helps and have a look out for the thread about travel insurance in this secondary BC section, I’ll find it and bump it up. Getting travel insurance for SBC is a whole different ball game than for primary BC with some insurers refusing to cover you and others imposing huge premiums.

Nicky x

Thank you for the info, I'll get in touch with them tomorrow. Night x

Thank you for answering me. Boots wouldn't insure me because of the heart attack and the cancer gone into some of my bones. I will keep trying X

Hi.  I don't know your age but if you are eligible it may be worth trying Saga.  I tried quite a few comparison sites and, although some were quite cheap, the level of support was not always brilliant. Saga was a much better deal as their policy seems to cover quite a lot of conditions and medical help abroad - I'm asthmatic/allergic rhinitis as well as the cancer - and got an annual insurance for me and my husband for under £300. (Can't remember exactly - Tamoxifen fog!!)

Money saving expert may be worth a try if you haven't already. https://www.moneysupermarket.com/travel-insurance/pre-existing-medical-conditions/ or https://www.payingtoomuch.com/

I do hope you manage to get something sorted out. We do need our 'treats' now and again.

Good luck with the search. 

Community Champion

Try phoning Boots. Much better to deal with on the phone as there are some tricky questions that need explaining. You should also reassure them that your Onco considers you fit to travel, and will provide you with a letter confirming this. My friend, stage 4 BC, has just flown to Philadelphia for £340, and that’s annual cover! It’s probably the heart attack that’s the issue, not the cancer. X

Thx for your reply. I've tried loads and feel thorougly deflated as some won't entertain me at all. Just been on to one that quoted £2,000 which is hopeless just for 9 days. Looks like I'll have to stay in this country.

The 2 companies I have had success with recently, as in provided a sensible quote, are Boots, and Insurance With. InsurePink were in the game, but seem to have dropped travel insurance from their list. 

Hope you get a quote you are happy with and have a great time away. 

Xx

Highlighted

Travel insurance

finding it almost impossible to get travel insurance as have secondary breast cancer and had a heart attack 4 years ago.