cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel Insurance

169 REPLIES

Re: Travel Insurance

Thanks Nicky that's helpful advice. I will crack on with phoning them, best to be sure now than finding out you are not covered. Not sure what they will think about clinical trials, no tick box for that!!

Community Champion

Hi stillhere

I only wrote what I thought the amount for a European annual policy was so I may have got it completely wrong! If they have quoted under £80 and you have informed them of your mets then I'd say its correct.  Interestingly I read the policy booklet they send me yesterday (I hadnt got round to checking the specifics) and they do rely on you having an EHIC card for European medical care (if it's needed whilst away of course).  This is the same for Eurotunnel's Annual European Travel Insurance and they quote about the same amount, £80, (I had the policy last year before they removed travel to islands which I believe they did).  Btw I did check with AXA and their European cover does include islands and cruises but please check with them and not rely on my memory - too much chemo is not good for certain things!  Obviously none of us know exactly what will happen with the EHIC after Brexit but it sounds like a reciprocal agreement would be in place and as I (we) have taken out our policy before this happens I'm assuming the cover is still valid whatever happens after Brexit.

Btw Ndw32548 I don't know any specifics regarding brain mets but you may be able to try AXA.  However their clause about being 'terminal' means you are expected to live for a year after the start of your policy which would be difficult for many of us, and our oncologists, to work out! I have used them on the basis that my current treatment would be likely to ensure I am alive in a year and therefore I can use it to cover my travel immediately however I certainly wouldn't be using the policy towards the end of that 12 month period (of the policy) if my health had deteriorated. In fact I wouldn't be travelling at all.

Nicky x

Hallo, this reply is to Nicky re AXA PPP. I went online to get a quote for a basic annual travel policy to Europe.It barely asked any questions about secondary breast cancer (it did acknowledge it in the quote) which came back at under £80. Surely this isn't right, it seems so low! I've been a bit cavalier about insurance on short trips to Europe but we have 2 planned this year so I have my sensible head on!

Could this be right? Yes, I will phone up but I hate talking about my health to a stranger.

Highlighted

Hello.

I had annual travel insurance with Boots. They were competitive and quite helpful.  Unfortuately I have been diagnosed with 'tiny' brain tumours but very able to travel and clear from the neck down.  Boots have since refused to cover me after 6 months, though they will refund some of the premium.  Would suggest anyone getting annual cover checks what would cause them to cancel the insurance.  If anyone has cover for brain tunours please let me know as I'm now starting all over again which is very frustrating. Thanks.

@nicky08 wrote:

Hi buddyfan 

It used to be a ‘sticky’ thread but this tag got removed a few months ago. I agree it needs to be as it’s very useful to share with other secondary ladies.

I was going to add my latest info on it a few weeks ago but couldn’t be bothered to search for it in the new forum format as I was also having problems using the new format on my pc. However now the thread is on the first page I’ll add my info.

I have just got an annual policy from AXA PPP for £460. This covers both me and my husband and is a worldwide policy including USA. I have bone and liver mets although they don’t ask any questions at all. They do an annual European policy which I think is about £295 but I can’t remember exactly what the policy cost was.

Nicky x

@nicky08 wrote:

Hi buddyfan 

It used to be a ‘sticky’ thread but this tag got removed a few months ago. I agree it needs to be as it’s very useful to share with other secondary ladies.

I was going to add my latest info on it a few weeks ago but couldn’t be bothered to search for it in the new forum format as I was also having problems using the new format on my pc. However now the thread is on the first page I’ll add my info.

I have just got an annual policy from AXA PPP for £460. This covers both me and my husband and is a worldwide policy including USA. I have bone and liver mets although they don’t ask any questions at all. They do an annual European policy which I think is about £295 but I can’t remember exactly what the policy cost was.

Nicky x

Community Champion

Hi buddyfan 

Nicky x

Please people are getting insurance and are off having fun. I got a quote from Saga and found them helpful and reasonable. I have secondaries x

PS why isn't this thread pinned? Or is there a pinned thread.

We're doing a two week cruise in caribbean. Best I found was Boots by phone not online. I have bone mets discovered pretty soon after starting treatment, husband has various typical ailments but not cancer or anything awful. They asked way more questions so I thought they'd turn us down. Other insurers were £1500, £1900 and others wouldn't insure us at all. Boots is £488 , so I asked about annual and get this, it was cheaper £400 for annual worldwide couple plus cruise add on. Excellent!
Community Champion

Bumping up 

Hi Helen, just to say I took a policy with MIA when I went to America, while I was there I fell and dislocated my finger, appreciate it wasn’t cancer related but found them really reasonably priced, competent and easy to deal with. The hospital initially said my bill was a lot less than it turned out to be due to a mix up with my paperwork but they settled without question. Would definitely use them again. Kate x

Just read Kenzo's post about travel insurance and came across the same with Eurotunnel when I went to renew my annual policy on Monday. Basically they now only cover for mainland Europe, no islands (bit ironic - I live on an island!!). Pain in that we are going to Majorca in September but visit France a lot so I have renewed & taken a single trip for Majorca with MIA.
Happy holidays everyone x

Thanks didi62, I did try to go through this site but it doesn't seem to be set up for secondary dx. We leave around 6am on Monday so don't really have time to call them. I finally found cover but they scorched me on the winter sports supplement! x

Hi I used Insure Pink for cruise cover this year and got 2 weeks cover for £115 which I thought was reasonable.

Insure with and Boots are meant to be good too.hope you manage to get cover for your holiday best wishes Didi 

Sorry if this duplicates my post but the first doesn't appear to have uploaded.

Can anyone recommend a travel insurance company? My husband and I have decided a last minute ski holiday flying on New Year's Eve to France. The best quote I have found is £466 - a bit of a hike since last year's £10.99!! Thanks J
Community Champion

Hi imac55

Have seen your other thread - to be honest this one should be called the same - 'Travel insurance with secondaries' as it makes it clear the struggles us secondary ladies have with travel insurance and some of the very kind posts from primary ladies unfortunately do not apply to us as we can't get reasonable/any insurance from many of the companies that will insure them.

You mentioned Eurotunnel.  I would still give them a call and ask what they mean by 'terminal' in their policy wording.  I have asked on two separate occasions when I have taken insurance out with them to clarify and on both occasions have been told that it means there is no more treatment left and you have been TOLD you have weeks to live.  They do record their phone calls so also ask for the operators name and note the date and time of the call so it coud be checked if you do take a policy out and had to make a claim.  BTW I presume everyone has a terminal diagnosis the day they are born ;-) Being flippant here but until immortality is the norm I guess none of us can be insured.  Hope you are successful with getting insurance and do update this thread with any info that will help any of us.

Nicky x

Can't help as looking for advice myself, but just wanted to wish you luck and hope you get insurance and enjoy Lake Garda, I hear its a wonderful place, and you deserve to be there! X

This was really helpful. Wish I'd seen before writing my thread! Thanks Nicky!

Hi Dora I went on a 2 week cruise in Europe this June and got insurance with Insure Pink.

It cost me £115.21.excess of £75 and medical excess of £200.I was pleased with the quote as expected much higher.I have never needed to claim on any holiday insurance thankfully.Hope you have a wonderful cruise- only way I like to holiday now.best wishes Didi 

Community Champion

Hi

I know being insured for cruises can cause more expense, I assume because you are not on dry land and therefore there could be additional costs if you had to get back to shore quickly, however it could be worth contacting Boots if they gave that quote to Rosie53, as we all know very few companies insure people with SBC. What's so frustrating is that we wouldn't be going on these holidays if we felt unwell! I would love to know how many people with any form of secondary cancer have made a claim based purely on their cancer, I doubt if it would be many therefore we're penalised for having this condition, yet living for years with it and not making any claims. Grrrrr, the insurance industry needs to wake up. Rant over.

Nicky x

Hi. The insurance I had was not worldwide and was for single trip. However the charges for insurancewith were extremely competitive. I like that they load the excess rather than the premium up front. At least you then only pay extra if you make a claim. Hope you find what you're looking for and that you have a fab holiday.