Re: PiP

Thank you Nicky , very helpful.

im leaning towards cancelling the appointment, can't put myself through it ...... 

xxx

Community Champion

Hi

There is another thread a bit lower down the page about PIP and home visitis, might be worth reading if you've not done already.  Reading back on this thread this looks like the first time you have applied for PIP so that might be why you are getting a home visit as the DWP is certainly tightening up on benefits, understandably so for those people who abuse the system but not so good for us with genuine reasons not being able to work.  I can't really help I'm afraid as to what you should or shouldn't do, some ladies who have had a home visit feel the assessor (who works for an outsourced company not the DWP) is not always sympathetic and unfortunately, from my experience about how you are assessed on the form, secondary BC doesnt really fit neatly into the boxes they have to tick.  My last re-assessment came via a letter and said I was to contact them if I wanted to continue with PIP.  Well, of course I do, my condition is not going away! I phoned and immediately was put through to an advisor (in the DWP) who started asking me some questions.  I thought Oh no, what have I let myself in for! However it was just a few questions about my mobility to which I answered truthfully  that 'sometimes' I can't do the distances etc.  I did go down the DS1500 route though and my GP was able to fill the necessary paperwork in which I sent in a week or so after the phone call.  I was awarded PIP and also I get ESA as I had to stop work when my condition changed (and prevented me from working).  This was also re-assessed earlier this year and has been continued.  These benefits do make a big difference as, at a time when I would have been able to work, I have had to stop work and concentrate on my health not to mention the number of appointments we all have to attend.

I hope you find some help with what to decide to do but also remember that if you are turned down for PIP you can appeal the decision.  If awarded it is also back dated to the date of your initial claim.

Good luck

Nicky x

[ Edited ]

Morning anyone available, for advice,

started pip process beg September, just had letter to visit me at home.....

what does this mean ?   Do you have to do tasks? Not bending at the oven, And  replying to trick questions.

think I may cancel, not performing and I know the points will not be enough ?

is it worth it ?

got today to cancel.......

thanks for listening.

your advice much appreciated 

xxxxx

Ask for help filling in forms (either through your local cancer charity or your GP/surgery). I am now 3.5 years post diagnosis, and got PiP straight away. I thought I would not get anything after the 3 year expiry date, in fact I called the DWP to cancel a home visit (thinking it pointless and humiliating) however I received good advice from them, to go ahead with the visit and see what happens. I got the PiP awarded again for another 3 years, without jumping through any hoops or putting on any kind of show. It is a benefit that makes the difference between going without and being comfortable. I have a small personal pension and also get Income Support. I am 56, and do not anticipate collecting my State Pension. I worked 34 years before diagnosis, and I firmly believe I get what I am entitled to. Please don't let reticence stop you getting what YOU are entitled to.....

Hi, well I started the pip process on the 2nd September, not very hopeful at all....  if it scores on points I have no chance.

doesnt it all take a long time?

last letter I had about 2 weeks ago saying , form passed , presume it means date for interview next then ?

dont think I will go through with that, like someone said, like a performing monkey.... not doing it..

why do they make it all so difficult....

xxx

Thankyou...

i guess we do not know if we are eligible until we try.

good luck to you

xxx

Hi.
Do you still have a bc nurse? I’ve just spoken to mine about PIP this morning. She’s emailed my local Macmillan financial advisor for a home visit. Maybe you could do the same. I initially rang Macmillan for advice but they weren’t very helpful. I think a home visit is the way forward.
My bc nurse says she’ll try to get me it through the special rules. This can be quite scary I suppose, but as I plan on going absolutely nowhere for a very long time I’m taking it with a pinch of salt.
Good luck. X
Highlighted

PiP

Hi everyone I'm a newbie, I've had cancer since 2014, when I had a mastectomy, chemotherapy and radiotherapy. I have had all my lymph nodes removed, which I now have lymphodema in my left arm. Been on tamoxifen for nearly 4 years, which is a nightmare with bone ache and constant sweating, I just have fans all over the house 😊 I think I may be on it for 10 years now. 

My left arm, I can't lift as high now, have trouble lifting heavy items .

also my cancer spread to my spine and chest, which they monitor regularly, blood test, ct scans etc.

ive had cellulitis a good few times which made me quite poorly, so I now have antibiotics at home ready.

never had much help regarding finances, and wonder if I would be eligible for PIP?  Bit scared to apply.  Never really thought about... as we struggle financially.

Any advice much appreciated.

x