61620members
325034posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bone mets - please join in

Re: Bone mets - please join in

Hi everyone. I haven't posted for a while and it's taken me a while to get through all the unread posts.
Roberts75 - sorry to hear your mum has bone meta. I was diagnosed with bone meta in Jan 2009 and have been on something since then. Also when I was diagnosed with further spread to my lymph glands in my neck in February this year I was commenced on chemotherapy right away.
Qhalitystreet - glad that you're doing well after your hip replacement.
Lizcat - hope you are recovering from the virus.
Scottishlass - glad you are driving again after your hip replacement. It's such a feeling of loss of independence when you are not able to drive. I have great problems asking for help even from OH but I'm going to have to learn. Good luck with your CT on 14th.
Tulip - hope your review goes well. Enjoy your week in Malta.
Birgit - glad you enjoyed your holiday. Hope your back is OK.
Katie2002 - with all of our cancer problems I couldn't help laughing at your book. It reminded me of the DVD I got at an oncology unit. It was for relaxation. When I had to imagine my legs were like dead weights I pulled it out of the player and threw it away. I have been having weird dreams which are so real. I almost phoned to ask for my neighbour cos I thought she had a heart attack. Luckily I asked my son about it first cos I thought he'd told me about it but I must have dreamt it. Glad you're doing well with your knitting. I knit and crochet but can't get motivated at times.
Itiswell - hope you're recovering well from your surgery. That was a brave decision but when I look at the state of my reduction on my healthy boob I wish I had done that too. My scars are always itchy and I have been left with a lump of scar tissue which really annoys me.
Lemongrove - glad your report is better than expected especially as you were without treatment for a time.
I'm on holiday in somerset just now. Have had a bit of a mental meltdown since I came on holiday. Went back to work last week and was unwell after I got home. Being away from everyone has helped me make up my mind about how best to keep fighting my disease. I have decided to retire from work and have lower stress levels to start with. I have been fighting my disease for 12 years and my body doesn't have the strength to continue with all the things I was able to do prior to this latest bout of chemotherapy. I'm now looking forward to spending more time with my daughter and my grandsons and my parents. And my OH too of course
Sorry to anyone I've missed.

Hello Golightly/Katy, I woulld highly recommend a complete hip replacement. I had a different op a year ago to insert a titanium pin into my femur to help stop my bone from breaking. Unfortunately the top of my femur was fractured during the op ( I was advised that this could happen beforehand). But the titanium pin fractured this year before the top of the femur had healed. The surgeon had hoped that this first op woud last for years.
So I had a complete hip replacement done 7 weeks ago. I have been driving for a week now quite comfortably. Short distances at first but an hours drive the other day when we were all out for the day. I can walk around the house without the aid of crutches but still need 2 crutches when walking outside in case I fall or stumble. I do not want to go back for yet anothr op!
I can get in and out of the bath unaided and go up and down stairs on my own, and get in and out of the bed easily. I no longer need the raised toilet seats, nor the stupid sponge pad the offered for my sofa/chair. I do not need to wear the surgical support stocking ( most exhausting getting them on and off!) I was given a wheelchair which I have been using form time to time. Less so now. But sitll in the boot of the car in I become tired when out shopping. They give you aides to put your socks on and and a long handle shoe horn and a grabber to pick things up when you cannot bend down. I keep forgetting NOT to cross my legs ( shows I am forgetting about the hip operation). My stamina is improved but this could be due to the steroids they put me on when I had no appitite and keep losing weight. But eating and feeling better now.
But MORE important than all is that I have absolutely NO PAIN in my thigh, bum,groin and knee. I had been wearing pain patches (Lidocaine) before the recent op. I don't need them now. I was sent home with new painkillers to add to my normal pain meds. These included Asprin, Paracetamol and Oxynorm. I am off all of these now and just take my normal meds.
It hasnt been easy. I will admit that. I was down at times. Frustrated that I couldn't do whay my head wanted me to do. Ineeded a nap EVERY afternoon. I did need someone around when going for a shower. I had to rely on my husband to do all the chores including the cooking and shopping and cleaning, changing the bed etc. I just couldn't do anything at first. That is hard when you are normally an independant person. At one point I got really down and found myself crying when I was getting ready for bed. Not like me but it lasted a week or more and I found that quite scary.
But here I am 7 weeks later. I was out walking, albeit with 2 crutches today but walking along the costal path which is quite steep and rocky in parts, but with wonderful views, the sun shining, and thinking to myself, well it has been a LONG 7 weeks but I feel great again. Would I recommend a complete hip replacement? You bet I would! Hugs Val

hi boney ladies could you all please support this campaign to promote awareness of secondary breast cancer on Oct 13th
www.thunderclap.it/projects/407-secondary-breast-cancer-day
if the link does not work just google thunderclap secondary breast cancer and you can access that way.please ask as many people as possible to support otherwise it will not go live.

Hi Katy, I have had a hip replacement too. I had it about this time last year when the pain I was having in my hip, and my reduced mobility, was finally diagnosed as breast cancer mets. It is usually a very successful operation and in my case I made a good recovery. I was able to walk short distances using two elbow crutches by 2 weeks and abandoned crutches altogether by 6 months. Able to drive after 3 months (I had had to give up before the op so was thrilled to get back behind the wheel). I now walk well, with a slight limp when tired, and a bit of difficulty cutting my toenails! I have recently started to get a new pain in my hip, which I know could be spread. I have had a bone scan and CT scan and will get results on Wednesday - a bit scary. But that's by the by as far as the hip replacement is concerned. I am very pleased that I had it, and would have the other hip done if that was indicated. Talk it over with your consultant who will be able to tell you about your individual circumstances, and get back on here for more info if you want it. If you go ahead we will be able to give you lots of tips about recovery! One thing I have realised since having the op and talking with others is that everyone is different but we can all support each other. Good luck. Love Ruth. By the way, it is usual to have radiotherapy after the op once you are up and about.

Hi Katy,
I had a hip replacement in May. I had been having a lot of pain and despite x-rays to see what was going on, radiotherapy for the pain and also heavy duty pain killers, things did not get any better. Finally, my hip fractured spontaneously when I rolled over in bed. I was carted off to the hospital and had an emergency hip replacement. So for me, it was not an option. If your orthopaedic chap thinks that you should have it, then go ahead. I was only in hospital for 5 days and they get you up the day after the op. I was seen by the physio every day, and the occupational therapist. My recovery has been steady and I can now walk without a stick indoors, albeit with a slight limp. Pain relief is minimal and I'm a little stiff in the morning, but soon loosen up when walking around.
9 weeks after the op, I went to the USA! Both the orthopod and my oncologist said it was ok - it had been booked weeks before the op, it was my niece's wedding, so I had to go!
Lastly, I worry that the same thing will happen with the other hip and got them to thoroughly check it out. So far, it is fine. Just a little wear and tear, but apparently good for my age...59!
As you say Val has had one recently and she sounds as if she is doing well.
Anyway, that's all. I hope this has helped.

Hi everyone, I've not posted for ages, just been trying very hard to get on with things. I've been ok, but still on heavy duty pain relief and using crutch to help. Tired all the time and struggling, but ok. So glad to catch up and see that you are all here coping. I wanted to ask about hip replacements, is the general consensus that they are really worth it? I have aconsultation this week with an orthopeadic chap and I'm really wanting some feedback from you ladies, especially val, who I see has been doing really well. I am fearful that it wont be an option, and im worried that my other hip will be affected and i wont be able to walk if i dont have a hip replacement. Thanks ladies, lots of goodthoughts for all of you whatever you are facing xxxxxx Katy

Thanks everyone for the love,God bless you all real good! @ katie2002, i still have the drains,nurse said she might take them out on monday if drains reduce! cant wait, cant really go out with them dangling on both sides. oh well.. wld stay at home and watch xfactor and strictly. I hope everyone of you beautiful ladies have a lovely weekend too.
Lots of love,Itiswell.

Aw thanks Tash. Just come back from afternoon tea at a very lovely hotel down the coast. We sat in the sunny garden. It was like something out of Downton as the waiter crossed the lawns bearing our sandwiches scones and pastries. Feeling a lot more chipper now. I would love to see you when we get back.

Ostrich mode is fully switched on!

Sorry I cant comment on either Claire or Happyfeet, but I hope you get reassurrance soon,

Cromercrab - sweetie, I didn't realise you were having a wobble. Why would they send you to the Marsden, thought they had it all covered at UHCW? Good he's still talking of options though, you trust them so I'd go with the flow if you can. Shout if you need a hug when you get back from Norfolk, I can't help much but I could bring cake Smiley Happy Enjoy the sea and take care. Lots of love xxx

Hello everyone,
Been thinking about what my ONC said last week, it always takes me a while before it sinks in, whether good news or bad. Firstly, I presume it is good news that BC didn't spread to my liver bearing in mind it was in abdominal lymph nodes. Secondly why did he ask me if I wanted to discontinue with zoly. I thought once you had bone mets you would be on this drug for life - he said my bones were very dense now? Also he said "no fluid around stomach", this worried me as I wonder what they were expecting. He told me liver clear and working normally, lungs fine and lymph nodes now so small as not to worry them. Do you think they are telling me the whole truth or am I just being paranoid?
Claire x

Good afternoon. Just checking in. Seem to be tired a lot which is frustrating. Good news is that I'm in Cromer and relaxing in the flat looking at the sea. I'm going to try to go out this afternoon. Had ct scan last su day and see onc Thursday and I'm trying to be an ostrich but I fear spread......
8-(. Chemo will be on the cards for me I fear and onc is talking about the Marsden. Feel a little wobbly and can't really talk to OH about it.

Hi everyone, have been following this thread when I can but the site is so tedious these days. Please can I ask for some comments. I am on my 14th cycle of Capecitabine, 1800mg twice daily. Tumour markers have reduced to normal range but bone and CT scans 3 months ago showed progression in ribs and spine (already extensive thru bones), nothing elsewhere. Side effects as expected except am starting to lose my nails again, toenails I can handle but fingernails just so difficult to cope with. Oncologist just said stop the chemo then, said dose reduction wouldn't make any difference so the choice was mine - no nails or ...... He said I was running out of options for treatment and that Eribulin would be my last choice. I don't quite understand this from what I read about others' experiences. I'm not willing to have IV chemo again at the moment though anyway, if I do get further spread to liver etc what is left?
I have little faith in my team so am looking at transferring elsewhere. Already had 2nd opinion last year at The Marsden but a long way for me to travel. Anyone at Addenbrookes or Peterborough?
I wonder if Vit D and calcium supplements would help or B12? Has anyone else had the nail problems? Off for yet another CT scan now, then back in the waiting room for 3 weeks.Best wishes to everyone x
Community Champion

LG that does sound good news and must put your mind at rest knowing how worried you were earlier in the year. Let's hope cap. Kicks them into touch. Enjoy your week off the tablets and I hope the champers went down a treat. We were out last night so will be catching up with Strictly tonight, it's the only reality show we watch and it is so interesting seeing how the dancers come on, or not in some cases ;-)
Val, all of your news sounds good as well, after such a glowing report I hope you realise how far you've come since your op. did the men get out for their walk? And did you enjoy your day out as well, kindling or knitting whilst you wait? We had awful weather here yesterday evening and for the first time in ages I was doing the driving. Not a nice trip at all and I kept saying how sunny it was meant to be today,which of course no one believed. But, lo and behold, it's a beautiful day here in Hampshire so OH and I should get out for our walk a bit after, the first one in ages.
Hope all you boney ladies have a good weekend whether recovering from ops, dealing with pain or 'just' coping with secondaries.
Nicky x

Linda, sorry pain from the sciatica is getting worse. Could they tweek your pain relief? Think I'm controlling the SE's from the Cap a bit better now, thanks to your suggestion. Completely understand about the Pimms. They do vary, and you do need to keep trying them. The good thing I find, is that if you have enough of them, you cease to notice.
Dawn, thank you for the encouragement - appreciated. My next scan will be after I complete the 3rd cycle of Cap. The scan I had on the 19th September will be used as a benchmark to evaluate how well the Cap is working, and whether the dose needs adjusting.
Community Champion

That sounds pretty good lemongrove. essentially almost a year without appropriate treatment and not too much further spread so let's hope that now you are on the right treatment you get really good results. I must say I have been amazed that since my bone mets were diagnosed in 2002, after chemo, bisphosphonates and the following year herceptin I have had really good control until the last couple of years. The problems since then have been minor apart from pain problems. Have they said when they will scan again to check? Enjoy the champers - I'm just about to turn the dvd on and watch Strictly but minus the champagne - don't think I could risk that!

Dawn
xx

LG So pleased results were better than you expected.Went for my appointment with onc 2 weeks ago and asked for a copy of my last mri results, it came this morning and seeing the words "exstensive bone mets in spine and degenarative disease"a lttle bit scary.It was nothing I did not already know and explains .I actually don't have any acute back pain,just a constant dull ache.My main problem is constant sciatica pain down both legs and now pain in my left heel which has made walking difficult the last 2 days.
Enjoy the champagne,I have been away for a couple of days in new forest and enjoyed the pimms last time I stayed at the hotel in the summer, so had to make sure they were still the same standard.
Hope treatment goes well next month.

Val pleased you are doing so well and hope you enjoyed your day out.

Good night all xx

Little bit pleased today. Got a copy of radiologists report for a CT taken on the 19th March 2012. Was dreading the results, as I've essentially been without appropriate treatment (other than Bondronat), since last November, because the Prof continued to try other endocrine therapies, when in fact they were completely pointless (because my receptor had changed from ER+ to Her2 +). But it turns out the report was not as bad as I suspected. The nodes in my chest have not got any bigger; the met outside my lung (which apparently encroaches on my para aorta), has also shrunk; the suspectedmet at my T12 vertabrae has not changed (and they are still unsure if it is a met), and my skull mets (which were treated with Cyberknife) have healed over with healthy tissue. The only downside is that I have spread to my L5 vertabrae. So although not a glowing report, it's not as bad as it could have been.
The other reason for my pleasure is that I have reached the end of my first cycle of cap, and will now have a whole 7 days before the next cycle starts (so I'm watching Strictly Come dancing with a glass of champagne to celebrate). Will be having my second infusion of Herceptin and Zometa next week, but don't mind that so much. Hopefully, now I'm on appropriate meds, the next scan will be much better.
Community Champion

Hi Val, your news does sound great. You have done so well after all it is just 6 weeks since the op as you say. How fantastic that he has said it will last your lifetime! Here's hoping you will feel like a new person once you are really ready to throw away the props Smiley Happy. What has your weather been like today for your 'day out'. Down here it is quite wet now.

I am envying some of you getting going on your knitting. I used to knit & crochet a lot but now if I try to do anything like that I suffer badly with my hands and fingers going into spasm. It's a shame 'cos I would have liked to have been knitting for the twins. Never mind I have really enjoyed myself buying up lots of goodies for them even though my daughter tells me off!

My latest buy has been a new mobility scooter so I can terrorise the neighbourhood. Do any of you use one of these? I don't need to use it all the time but it is so frustrating if I want to go to shopping malls or larger towns because I just can't manage that amount on my feet. It means that if OH & I want to go out for the day that I can do it without worrying about 'overdoing' it. I found a really lovely one that is quite small and lightweight but the battery life on full charge is good - about 12miles and as I am quite lightweight I should get the best out of it.

Debs I will send you pm to see if that comes through ok for you. Bear with the site a bit longer - they are having a lot of problems with it and hopefully in time things will get better even if we have to wait for them to totally change it again!!!

Another change of subject: Herceptin & Muga scans. How frequently do you all have muga scans? Mine have been 6-monthly for some time now but at my last clinic appointment I told the onc I really hate having them and what chance of extending the interval to a year. She went and had a word with the consultant and he has agreed to let me have them annually. It's always worth asking if you feel like I do about them Smiley Happy.

Dawn
xx

I would just like to share something with you all. I attended my first secondary breast cancer group meeting in Sheffield Today. It was fabulous to be with people who know what this journey is like. The people were so welcoming and I learned such a lot from their experiences. In the afternoon we had a visit from some specialist palliative care nurses who talked about pain management. All in all a very good 4 hours. I shall be going again!
If you haven't been to one of these groups yet, I would suggest you find out where your nearest one is held (via Breast Cancer Care) and go along. It really did me the power of good and I hope it will help you too.

love to all the boney ladies on this thread. You are a real inspiration.
Suzanne.

Evening all

Good to hear your news Val. Tomorrow sounds like a fantastic way to spend the day, would rather that than the walking. Cheerio boys, I'll see you in the pub. Marvelous Smiley Happy

I've decided to learn to knit too. Well, I ordered a kit but haven't quite gotten around to trying anything yet. In truth I don't understand the instructions so I may have to freestyle it. Or be sensible and youtube lessons.

Katie, I'm with you on Waterloo Road, always try and catch it. It has lost some of it's edge now though,
Oh, and no... no lint roller required yet. I wake up every morning and check for hair on my pillow, can't believe I'll get off this lightly.

Claire, I've recently visited work and am going to go back soon. Was dreading it but am so glad I went. Was such a tonic being back with people that care about me, talking about ordinary non cancer stuff. Loved it.

Debs, sorry I can't help re messages but perhaps you could ask the site admins for help.

Hope you all sleep well. Lots of love xxx

Val - that is really great news! You are an inspiration. I can't believe how well you are doing only after 6 weeks! Enjoy tomorrow. I hope the rain stays away for you. What are you knitting? I am busy making loopy scarves - I find it theraputic. My aim is to try to follow a pattern one of these days and make something a bit more difficult.
Take care xxx

Val - that is really great news! You are an inspiration. I can't believe how well you are doing only after 6 weeks! Enjoy tomorrow. I hope the rain stays away for you. What are you knitting? I am busy making loopy scarves - I find it theraputic. My aim is to try to follow a pattern one of these days and make something a bit more difficult.
Take care xxx

Hello my boney friends...
I saw the Orthopaedic surgeon today and he had 4 medical students in with him and had explained my complicated recent hip replacement after the fractured titanium pin incident.
Wel he is really pleased with my progress and says I am much further on than he would have expected since it is only 6 weeks after the operation! he had me walking across the room without crutches and standing on each leg while he held on to my forearms to see how my muscles etc were doing. I told him I had started driving and he said he is fine with that as long as I am comfortable doing it. He is now arranging physiotherapy for me to strengthen my leg and to help withg the healing process. He did say it may take up to a year to be fully recovered from the op and for everything to be working normally. But he did say that this op should last a life time. Fingers crossed that he is right.
So my spirits are boosted and am am glad that the review went with a hitch. You just never know do you. My husband asked if the fractured top of the femur was healing but the surgeon told him the bone has complaetely gone and has been replaced with the new hip.
So a few days of freedom now. next hosp visit in 2 weeks for Zometa, more chemo pills and my CT scan the same day.
Tomorrow I am taking the men ( four including my OH) dowwn to Peebles where they will be dropped off to go a long walk and I will potter round the hsops, visiting a marverllous butcher, do some charity shops and then a cooffee and cake until I reach the other end of the town where I will wait for them in the pub with either my knitting or my kindle to keep me amused until they arrive for their well dererved pint. Hope the weather is good for them and I don't want to be out in the rain all day.
Much husg to you all, val

Evening everyone,
This is my second time of writing this post as lost the first. Goodness knows what I pressed. Probably not paying 100 per cent to typing as Waterloo Road is on ( which happens to be my guilty pleasure TV). Although it isn't the same since it moved to Scotland. Hey ho, anyway..
Liz - I do hope you are feeling better x
Na7asha - you are doing brilliantly. How is the hair situation? Needed to use the lint roller yet?
Esha - Talking of hair - mine was ruffled again yesterday albeit from a girl I used to work with but still... Think we need to design a sign to wear ...'Keep off the hair'
Claire - I know where you are coming from. It is a great feeling to be back in the world after months of splendid isolation. I am just getting to grips with going out and about too. I finished chemo in June. Enjoy the festival. Good luck with returning to work. Hopefully I will be back in December although part of me is quite liking pottering about during the day.
Itiswell - how are you coping with the drains? I found them sooo inconvenient but as soon as they were out I felt tonnes better. The district nurse took it out and was so gentle. I didn't feel a thing.
I haven't much else to tell you all. Baggins the cat behaved for the vet which was a nice surprise. Apart from that I had a weird dream last night which involved me being in a bomb blast. The thing was it woke me up and the pain in my mx scar was awful. I remember physically feeling like I was thrown. My scar has been sore all day since. Very strange. I must have really twsited myself or something. I do have vivid dreams.
Anyway back to my knitting. Hope you are all ok and sleep well xxx

Hello,
Can anyone tell me plz why it show's that I have 16 messages but when I go into it theirs nothing there......so im not ignoring anyone just cant get into them....
Its not that easy a site to understand as I seem to take forever to try and find my follow ups

Debxx

Hello everyone,
Val, sorry your feeling flat. Strangely although everything was positive after chemo I to felt flat, it is lifting a bit but I suppose it's knowing treatment is going to be an ongoing process. I did enjoy Cornwall though, did too much walking and felt a bit faint, red blood cells still trying to get it together after chemo. I went to the theatre on Thursday, something I haven't been able to do since April. It was lovely to feel part of the world again. Where I live there is a literary festival next week and I have booked several things, although with the talk on the 100 best racehorses I'm on my own! Lots more theatre trips are planned and going to Cheltenham races soon to so am beginning to get back to normal. Contemplating going back to work on the 5 November, perhaps only part time now, work can be good to get a routine back but I have enjoyed my freedom to, so a balance is required I think.
I hope everyone is ok.
Love Claire

Hi Natasha,
Thanks for your reply. Just wish I had a magic wand at times, gets me so angry that the doctors seem so relaxed about it!! but I guess they know what their doing. She had been on Tamoxifen for 4 months before they decided it didnt work but now on Chemo and zometa.
Well I guess we'll ust have to work hard at keeping her mind off if, she has 7 granchidren to keep her busy and with xmas coming up she'll have plenty to look forward to.
Her doctor also said she'd be visiting the clinc for many years to come so im crossing my fingers for all of you!!!
Debxx

Deb, I'm going through something very similar.

I was diagnosed in June and was put straight onto Tamoxifen and Bondronate (bone strengthener tablets). Onc said he'd prefer to see if the hormone treatment worked before we tried chemo as chemo is obviously harder on you. We watched and waited for 2 months and in that time it was obvious the Tamoxifen wasn't working because my lump grew and my tumour markers doubled.

Am much happier now I've begun chemo as it felt time to bring out the big guns. We'd made no impact on the tumour for 2 months and I was keen to move onto something else as quickly as possible. As my onc explained, we couldn't keep waiting to see what will happen. Time to get a blast of chemo to get things under control and then explore hormones again.

I don't feel like I've started chemo early, just started when I needed to. And, by the way, I'm don't feel unwell. My onc and breastcare nurse tell me they expect me to be around for a few years. Therefore I don't think there is a formula to it, chemo isn't left as a last resort, but used when required.

I've had 1 of my 6 cycles of FEC and have had no side effects. I'm hoping to be one of the lucky ones that doesn't suffer too much.

Ultimately we do what we need to, keep taking the drugs for as long as we can. I hope that's of some use to you. Take care xxx

Hi,
thank you so much for your comments it does help us a lot for any advice and knowing that theirs others out there going through the same thing.
Mum went back to hospital today to be told that the Tamoxifen had not worked at all and that the cancer had spred yet again so she had to start chemo today and it will be every 3 weeks for 6 months, not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. She is on loads of tablets and has to take Zometa and chemo now for months Smiley Sad .
Does anyone know that if starting chemo so early into treatment is a good or bad thin?
Im sorry if im asking to many questions but mum wont let us go in with her at the hospital as she's so proud and does not want us to see her having treatment.
Thanks once again.
Deb xx

Evening ladies

Nicky08 - wow, my easy ride was making me think this may just be an easier chemo. Onc did tell me most people tolerate it quite well. I don't feel any different, apart from stupid chemo arm that is. Got everything crossed that it continues.

Have spent hours trying to get info on metastatic breast cancer so I can keep posting & tweating news on secondaries so we're not forgotten in the sea of pink but I can't find anything to say. Won't bore you now, will post on another thread, Is frustrating though,

Katie, hope the cats didn't protest too much. Mine always sulk after a visit to the vets. Also hope you're still feeling brighter on your meds.

Itiswell and Lizcat - rest up and I hope you feel better soon.

Val - good to hear your GP is pleased with you. Think we all feel a bit flat sometimes, is such an effort to be cheery sometimes. Hope that by now you've done something lovely, like bought a new cook book Smiley Happy

Hope everyone is having a good week, is pain free and not being driven too mad by the pink crazies. Love to all xxx

Itiswell - so glad you had the double mx. Sure you won't regret it. I had my second mx on the Thurs afternoon and was out next day.

I went down with norovirus last night and felt soooo awful last night. Stayed in bed and slept all day today and am off now for another 40 (or 50!) winks x

Thanks everyone. Feel so loved now. Definitely feeling better and doing my exercises @ katie2002, Hate carrying the drainage bottles attached to me tho! Can't wait to get em off! Oh @ dawnhc, i got discharged the day after surgery, yesterday.
Lots of love. Itiswell
Community Champion

Hi Katie, I know what you mean about books delivering a cancer story to us unsuspecting readers :-) I've done the same myself and not finished a book (that was given to me) as I didn't want to read about secondary BC - I've already got it, thank you! Maybe they should have warnings on the back, like DVD's, to tell everyone who doesn't want to read about whatever it is they are living with such as cancer, bereavement, unemployment, that way we could decide first LOL. Having said that I tend to enjoy, and stick to, crime thrillers - just hoping that nothing that happens in them will happen to me or mine.
Na7asha - well done for getting through your first FEC unscathed. I had this chemo back in 2008 and felt grotty for the first 5 days after each chemo but rapidly improved each time from then on, until the next one of course, Hopefully all of yours will follow the current pattern and you will get through it reasonably well. I certainly had more good days than bad but by the end was quite exhausted and needed a well earned break.
Itiswell - I hope your recovery is speedy and I'm sure, like the other ladies, you have made the right decision. I couldn't help with your initial question but now wish you the best with getting your strength back.
Hi Jo - sorry you have had to join us but we are a good resource for support and knowledge. It's good to hear you are doing well, physically, unfortunately it's the mental state that can take more time to deal with things. I found once I had my treatment plan and it was underway I was more able to cope. Since finishing chemo 4 years ago I have had ovary ablation and am now on Arimidex and Ibondronat. Due for my 6 month check up next week but assuming (hoping) there's no nasties as I haven't had (or needed) a scan to get worried about.
Hi to all bone mets ladies, new and old, wishing you all well.
Nicky x

Hi there Itiswell,
Make sure you rest and don't forget to do your exercises!!!

Na7asha - good to hear you are doing well!
Sorry for shortness of post - hope everyone is well. No rain here in Bolton yet!!!! Hurrah!!! Am off now to wrestle my very grumpy cat into her cat box. Off to the vets for her annual check up.
Take care all xxx

Itiswell for what it's worth I'm 100% sure you have made the right decision. Just rest now and give yourself time to recover.
Community Champion

Hope you make a good recovery Itiswell. I think you will be happy with your decision Smiley Happy. How long are you staying in hospital - it amazes me how quickly some are sent home now. When I had my mastectomies I was in for 7 days the first time and 10 days the 2nd time! How things change eh.

Dawn
xx

Good evening all, many thanks Broomsticklady, Dawnhc, Katie2002 for all your tots.. I do appreciate them. Decided to go for a double mastectomy. As a matter of fact I had it done yesterday so taking things easy today. Wld look into possibly doing a reconstruction in the future God willing. Wishing us all the best.

Evening ladies

Quick update from me. So am on day 8 of FEC, still nothing major going on. I developed terrible pain and redness in my chemo arm. Quick call to my breast care nurse and I was sent off to get antibiotics. Is Phlebitis apparently, and can occur if you've had trauma to a vein. Think chemo qualifies Smiley Wink

Nothing much else going on. Am literally just trying to keep my head down and praying I don't develop any nasty se's. Looking good so far.

Am online all day, propped up in bed. Liking, sharing & retweeting all the the pinkness, adding messages about secondaries as we know we lurk in the background. I never intended to go public about my dx on facebook. Was happy that the people I want to know, do. But recently decided to flood everybodys newsfeed with as much secondary updates as I can find. Been quite cathartic actually.

Hope you all have pain free, restful sleeps. Lots of love xxx
Highlighted

Hi Katie
I know what you mean about everything seeming to relate to the dreaded 'C; in some way. Then it dawned on me that really its no different to buying a new car. when you choose it, you think it is an unusual model/ colour, then the first time you take it out, all you see around you is the same model and colour as your 'unique' car!! So guess it's always been there, but you don't notice, until it relates to you personally!! - That's my piece of philosophy for the day.
Take care
Tulip

Afternoon everyone - hope this finds you well,
Glad you had a lovely holiday Brigit. I, like many others, have forgotten what the sun looks like! I don't think the rain has let up all day here.
Congrats Tulip on your 30th wedding anniversary! That is pretty good going. Have a fab time in Malta.
Welcome Jo! I wish it was in better circumstances.
Good luck Itiswell - I am sorry I didn't feel able to offer any advice to you. I've only recently had my mx and am getting to grips with being lopsided. I am still in an emotional place about it. I do so hope though that you are ok and have had some guidance. All the very best with it all. I think you are incredibly brave.
Val - you sound like you have been incredibly busy.You sound as bad as me where books are concerned. I am an addict. If I could have my own library I would. How is the book about Dickens coming on? I am 'pigged' off with my latest book. I like a good mystery but am cheesed off that one of the main characters got dx with bc and then the next chapter had secondaries and by the next was dead. I could blooming scream. It just seems to be mentioned in every book and every TV programme (This Morning yesterday and Downton). I am sick of hearing about it!!!! Sorry for my little rant. I suppose I just expected more from this author - it seemed lazy and convenient. I won't mention the name as it is a new book and don't want to put others off. Do I sound like a mad woman??? Like you I have feel flat. Since my herceptin and zometa last week I just felt poorly. Today is the first day I have felt a bit like my old self. I just thank goodness the dreadful headache has gone. Again sorry for moaning.
Anyway I better go and get ready before I have to go and pick Alice up from school. My peace will end !!!! Although I am in her good books today as remembered tins for harvest festival collection. She is hoping to get merit marks for them - goodness help the teacher if she forgets as Alice won't.
Katie xxx

Hi girls, hopeyou are all coping reasonably well. Just back from a fortnight in menorca, lovely weather, lots of swimming and walking - trying to do what I can, whilst I can! My back is still very sore though, and they are not sure at the moment what is causing it. It feels more like sciatica, down into my bum, rather than in the spine itself. Seeing oncologist end of month, so will have another natter with him then. I will also be starting Denosumab early November, hope it suits me better than Zometa.

Hi Scottishlass
I was delivered a bag of girlie DVD's from a friend last week, but have only got around to watching one so far. IT's nice to have a break from reality!!
Having only been diagnosed in August I'm still getting used to all of this, but have found living for the hear and now, planning regular activities and not letting it take over really helps.
I've been on Tamoxifen for a month now & have started with what I thought might be thrush, but am concenred it is a side effect of the medication. Anyone else had this problem to advise me please? have already had to come off the Ibandronic Acid because of severe indigestion & now have to wait for my appointment with teh Oncologist on 24th october to review it.

Really looking forward to a week in Malta in october to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. A bit of sun & relaxation, is just what we need.
Take care everyone & stay positive.
Tulip.

Welcome Jo, Sorry you have had to join us but good to see you poating again.
Quality Street. I am glad your hip operation is all done and dusted now. I am a few weeks ahead of you. It is now 6 weeks since my op and I am going to see my orthopaedic surgeon n Thursday for my review appointment. I am doing really well after the op now. I am back to driving which I am so so happy about. I can gad about on my own again at last. I am still tired at times and think I can do more than I am capable of. I made the evening meal tonight, cottage pie followed by Eve's pudding but I had to enlist my husband's help because i took on more than i coud chew!!. Bit he didn't mind and mashed the potatos and podded the fresh peas for me and lifted things in and out of the oven. I thought I could do it all.....and I couldn't. But the joint effort was worth it and my daughter joined us for tea after her work. Sadly I was supposed t go to a meeting tonight for a Secondaries support group but I ended up flat on my back knackered instead! But, Quality Street if I can help in any way with questions that come along regarding your recovery after the op please feel free to ask.
Although my recovery from the op is going great ( I can walk without crutches inside but not outside yet) I am finding the restarting the Capecitabine a but of a struggle. I have my appointment for my Ct Scan on 14th October for chest and abdomin but I do not expect anything nasty as I think in my heart of hearts that my Lungs are fine. But pleased that the Consultant Oncologist is checking it out all the same.
I also feel a little flat still. It seems to come and go a bit. I saw my Gp on Friday and he is really pleased with my progress and aays I am doing well and looking well. I don't feel weepy or depressed I just feel flat. My head still wants to do things but it is all a bit of an effort. I did have a HUGE clear out of books last week. Took about 200 books to several charity shops ( well my OH took them for me) and all my fiction are in alphabetical order and all my OH's books are on shelves of their own. Also had a clear out of my numerous cookery books. If the charity shops get £2 for each book that should raise around £400 for various charites!
I was in a local charity shop today and picked up 5 DVDs to try out ( don't often buy them but only £1 each) plus 6 CD's for 50p each and all singers I enjoy. I plan to take the DVD's to my cancer ward as some kind person donated small dddvd players but the films were not to my taste so hoping there is somethong here for the people on the ward ( women's films really). Hope you are all okay. I am off to bed soon with my latest Denise Mina book called "The End of the wasp Season"....night night. Val

Hi All, I have been a lurker since the summer, I did post once then, but now feel able to join in please. My name is Jo Im 45 had bc 7 years ago, mast, chemo radio and tamoxifen for 5 years, thought it was all behind me, pain in my sternum made me be referred back to my onc and was diagnosed with many small bone mets and a tumour behind sterum. Since 2bc I have had my overies out and am on letrozole and have started the new drug denosumb (I think thats how you spell it). I have had two injections so far and have had no sides effect that I aware of which seems a plus. Apart from the emotionally journey, physically I am well, with no pain now, few aches but nothing I need pain killers for.
I have asked to be referred for a second opinion at the Royal Marsden, not because I'm unhappy with my treatment, just want to make sure I am doing everything possible to remain stable.
Regards
Jo
Community Champion

Itiswell sorry your post seemed to have got missed in the rush of other posts and I notice that you say your surgery is due very soon. I think you might find it helpful to phone the BCC helpline and talk this through with one of the nurses. If you want something different to what is planned you will certainly need to speak to your surgeon before the surgery day.

You need to ask yourself how you feel about a double mastectomy - would you want reconstructions if your surgeon was willing or would you be happy with prostheses. Remember you are quite young to have to cope with all this and you could have many more years living with bone mets (my bone mets were diagnosed 10 years ago). I think if you are large breasted you will be more comfortable with a double.

Dawn
xx

Itiswell - I saw your original post and wasn't sure how to reply - I wanted to but in some ways didn't feel 'qualified' as I just had WLE and node removal. But my sister had to have double mx, and she was happier - exactly as Lizcat says - more balanced - that way. I've thought a lot about what might have been, had my genetic liabilty been identified earlier and I seriously think I'd have opted to have both breasts removed as a precautionary measure. I think if that was my thought when it may have been a possibilty, then if it exists in both I'd not be thinking twice. Don't know if this makes sense or helps, but it's meant in the kindest way.
On a lighter note - I LOVE RADIOTHERAPY! I'm now off morphine and needing hardly any pain relief!! How long this will last I don't know but it's so gratifying not being on those strong drugs!! THis was my 2nd lot of pain rads, the first zapped my strength quite substantially and left me pretty low tho in less pain but this second lot I sailed thru, so don't be put off if your first experience is mixed.
And on an even lighter note - I watched Johnny English Reborn on Sky the other night!! Excellent light don't have to think film - but I want one of his wheelchairs! Outriders, steering handles, Fast, V fast and F Fast settings, and joy - a Zzzz setting where it reclines!!
Gentler hugs to all on here - there's a lot going on with holidays scans grandchildren, and I pray to hear an all clear lung wise from Val - you've got to keep as you are - you're such an inspiration to everyone here.

Nina

Hi Ladies, Thanks for all your positive replies and best wishes. Had the hip replacement 10 days ago and managing well on crutches. Scan this week to see if it has spread to other organs (Yikes!!) results nexr week, have been taken off extrematase and zometa for now. Onc, devising a new plan when results are through. Maybe oral chemo and back on zometa. Will keep you informed. You all made me feel so much more positive and I have a new grandchild on the way in January who I cant wait to spoil. Best wishes to you all, you are my inspiration.xx

Many thanks lizcat, I think it does make alot of sense to get them both out at the same time especially for the reason you noted. My surgeon is happy to go through with any decision I make. I'll keep you updated on progress... Any further opinions from the lovely ladies on this forum will also be appreciated. God bless us all.
Itiswell.

Itiswell - sorry just read your post. I had mx on one side after chemo following my original diagnosis which was primary and bone mets at same time. I didn't have reconstruction. That was 5 yrs ago and I found I was becoming increasingly unhappy at being unbalanced so late last year asked my wonderful surgeon if he would consider 2nd mx. He discussed with onc and they said I could have it as I was basically stable but of course told me it won't cure the cancer (obviously) but if it helped me psychologically that was fine by them. Plus it takes away the worry of it appearing in the other breast. I had the surgery in March and don't regret it for a single minte. That's my personal opinion anyway!! x

Yes I agree with both Lizcat and Dawnhc. In March this year I realised I had been living in a fools paradise. I had been told the previous October that I was NED, but by Christmas I was having significant pain at the top of my spine. I then discovered that the docs had suspected cancer in my spine for quite a while, but had not told me. One doctor said cancer I was not NED and that cancer in the spine was obvious for quite a while, but the Prof in charge of my treatment say's it was only obvious in retrospect. I learned the hard way they do not give the whole picture, and so I now ask for a copy of the radiologists report every time I have a scan.