JCJ Community Champion
Community Champion

Re: stop feeling guilty, small rant (BENCHLAND)

Good luck today, FF, I hope they can sort your hips out. Fingers crossed. xx

Well I wasn't washed away, the yellow warning turned into a bit of a damp squib.  Yes, it rained but not enough to flood around here, thank goodness.

So sorry to hear you're coughing for England/Scotland JCJ, but glad you're still managing to make us a lovely dinner!  Selfish? Me ? No!

It must be so difficult for your OH to reconcile what he once could do and what he can do now.  Your poor neighbour, awful news. You are so right in saying never take anything for granted!

Glad that your results were good Ali.

Been to local City today with Daughter, shopping for the December event, got some things, had to stop and sit down many times as back was complaining, thankfully there are a lot of benches along the High Street. 

Drs tomorrow to find out the results of the hip x-rays.

JCJ Community Champion
Community Champion

Coughing for England - and Scotland! - and do feel a tad yukky. Despite this, I made a super hman effort and took OH to his volunteer allotment so he could clear some c**p out of the garage (to make room for a mobility scooter???? Maybe not yet) I messed up reversing his great beast of a car off the drive, so the trip didn't start well (I'd tucked it in tight to the hedge out of the way of my car coming and going.) 

He had a bit of a melt down while we were there - memories of when he was fit and well and enjoying being there. I said, after Christmas, when I'm working part time, I can take him - and any other volunteers - a couple of afternoons if he still wants to go. Not so long ago, he was saying it was becoming a chore and he was looking for excuses not to go. Perhaps that was just the stress of driving? You don't know what you'll miss until it's gone?

Bad news from next door when we got back. Lovely elderly couple in their 80s, been our neighbours for 20+ years. I got up to go to the bathroom at 3am one night last week, and saw flashing red lights. Had a nose and it was an ambulance next door! Oh No! Watched them wheel Mrs H out and drive off VERY carefully. No sign of anyone in the house, but we got to talk to her son a couple of days later, who said she'd fallen and shattered the bones in her shoulder - of her good arm, she has a not-Parkinson's tremor in her other Smiley Sad . Owy owy owy!! Today, we have just heard that they have had to amputate the arm because it went black. I cannot begin to imagine what the poor woman is going through, but apparently she's managing to laugh and joke with her family!! I keep thinking of all the things I do, that keep me sane, that require the use of both my hands. Never take a moment for granted!!

Dinner is cooking: lamb shanks, braised root vegetables, roasties, Yorkshire pudding, cabbage, broccoli, gravy and mint sauce followed by individual chocolate cheesecakes (bought). I'll have to go VERY steady on the lamb - can't digest it and I'm already sleeping badly due to coughing and a head full of snot!

Community Champion

hope you are not coughing, spluttering and barking JCJ and cold has not taken hold.

Had a reasonably quiet day yesterday and fingers crossed today too, woo hoo!

It started raining here last week and hasn't stopped since, oh how I hate the rain, it's all fine as long as I don't have to go out...........

If you feel too yucky to even contemplate dinner tonight, I will step in, a takeaway of course, orders can/will be taken for local chippie soon xx

JCJ Community Champion
Community Champion

Unexpected couple of hours to myself tonight. Yippee! I was expecting to take OH to his swimming and sit in the carpark again, like last week, but his friend came to collect him and he's getting a taxi home to give me a night off! Just as well, because the dreaded cough has started - inevitable whenever I get a cold. I'll be barking for weeks now! Sitting in a cold car for an hour would have been even silier swimming myself last night?!

Weekend! Woohoo!

Sleep swimming, no, probably not a good idea - although if dreaming of swimming has the same health benefits you may be on to something!

Finding money, woohoo! I occasionally find a fiver in an old handbag (or the posh going out handbag, tbh I have more handbags than fivers - there's probably a link!) and that feeling of unexpected riches is rather lovely Smiley Happy

And yes, it's been bloomin cold here too! I assumed it was just me getting over the op, I've been huddled under a fleece blanket in front of the fire all week but if you think it's cold too then I can blame the weather. I'm struggling to get going again but my friend reminded me yesterday that it takes three weeks for the anaesthetic to be properly out of your system, not just one, so a snooze in front of the fire is perfectly acceptable.

Black Friday, hmmm. Anyone find any bargains or am I being too bah humbug about it all? As a small, independent  shopkeeper it's a nightmare trying to compete with online prices at the best of times, maybe I'm just not in the mood this year? Good for electrical gadgets though and those strange technology thingummybobs my OH and son love Smiley Happy

Community Champion

woo hoo scooby/booby dooo, ali, great newsSmiley Happy

bet you are soooo relieved, a couple of years ago I had huge bruising all over my legs after numerous tests it was discovered a med I was taking was causing bruising, could it be something like that?

Oh no JCJ you cannot ever swim whilst sleeping..............chippie tonight?

FF, hope you are not in too much pain, hugs flying your way.

Few things to do today, keep saying to myself only a few more days of craziness then things will be calmer, touch wood haha.

Visitors have been here every day this weekSmiley Frustrated,WHAT............am used to relative peace and quiet...........

tidying out a drawer yesterday I found £80, woo hoo, usually put money aside for xmas stuff, so at one side was the money I have been adding to and on the other side under a duvet was the 80, think it must have been from last year am well pleased xx

JCJ Community Champion
Community Champion

Woohoo! Ali, that's good news! Not the dreaded C! Yey! Sleep well.

Washed away FF? I hope you're not going to have to heft everything upstairs again, THAT certainly won't be good for your back!

My cold is making me feel c**p. Nearly didn't go swimming but dragged myself out and just managed the mile, but there were several moments when I thought about my bed and snuggling into it, and just stopped swimming. Not good when you're face down in 6ft of water?! 

Well, they don't know what's causing the bruising but pathology reports are clear so it's not cancer!!!!!!!! Woohoo Smiley Happy

Im back in a month to see if my skin has calmed down and to discuss reconstructive surgery, sorry to dash in and out but I'm so tired and I suspect I might actually manage to sleep tonight. 

Seem to have selected italics ..... Xxx

Highlighted

Been thinking of you today Ali, hope all is ok.

I'm fine as long as I don't try to actually do anything!  I've had the hips x-ray done this Monday, results of that next Monday.  We will see.

Not freezing down here but preparing to be washed away in the next couple of days.

JCJ Community Champion
Community Champion

Thinking of you today, Ali, hope your news was good. xx

Hope you're ok, too, FF.

Freezing here today! Had to scrape the car INSIDE as well as out. -4°!! Brrrrr!

Community Champion

Hope all goes well for you tomorrow ali, fingers and toes crossed xx

Wet and wild weather here, brrrrrrrrrrr!!

On last legs of Mum's now, quick tidy and some hoovering to do, read electric and gas meters, then hand keys in either Fri or Mon, will be glad when things are finally done, one less thing to worry about..............

Was up to see Mum today, she was looking a little tired but chatted away fine. Learned yesterday that the delirium was/is not the cause of Mum's balance issues, it is chronic arthritis in her hip and spine, so chronic she is unable to successfully stand upright. Felt really sad when I was told this, would have been better coming from the consultant.................not that it makes a difference as she would be unable to have any ops anywaySmiley Sad

Today is baby's actual due date, was weighed yesterday and is now 6lb 10oz and doing fine xx

JCJ Community Champion
Community Champion

Hugs. Ali. Fingers crossed. xx

BCU have just rung me to go in this Thursday at 4:30. Hmmm. But, at least it's not long to wait....

Community Champion

Big hugs flying your way ali, fingers and toes crossed all goes well for your appt.

FF, when does your physio start??

Thank you JCJ for dinner, yum yum, tummy is soooooooo fullSmiley Happy, hope sore throat calms down, there is always something..............

It's not changed much from your days ali, infa*** is what YD is using and baby massage, think it is awful, he is not screaming for hours on end, thank goodness, touching wood etc, but is obviously pained and discomfort is obviousSmiley Frustrated

Carpet is gone, woo hoo, 3 carrier bags to come back to mine and it's done, now 50 ton of paperwork to do. No POA yet so have to take stuff up to Mum for her to sign, hopefully will come through soon. xx

JCJ Community Champion
Community Champion

Reciprocating the hugs, Ali, gently. Glad you're not too ouchy. I hope your follow up appointment comes quickly - (but not so quickly it causes alarm?!) and they can sort out whatever the problem is.

FF, I hope your physio is not too ouchy and they can help you get comfortable again. 

Baby colic! Oh how I remember that! Pacing the landing with a screaming baby (ES) for HOURS (days?) Also remember trying to get the lid off the gripe water (probably banned nowadays as it contained alcohol!)  and dispense it via a teaspoon whilst simultaneously juggling a writhing baby! Such fun. I see the children's medicines come with neat little dosing syringes now. So much easier. Far less medicine up the walls when the baby/toddler/child knocks the spoon out of your hand!

Dinner tonight is steak braised with mushrooms and onions, roasties, Yorkshire pudding, sprouts, carrots, broccoli and garlic buttered courgettes, followed by gooey chocolate pudding and chocolate sauce. Help yourselves. You're welcome.

The braising steak was because we shopped at C*-*p instead of S********'s last week because I had twighlight training, so was already later leaving school, and OH decided to need picking up from the town in the opposite direction from S's. The traffic was hideous and I just couldn't BA to drive back, so we ate and shopped at C*-*p. Stressful trying to find everything.  No joints of meat smaller than that required to feed 10. Smiley Sad Tried to get some at the local farm shop yesterday: same problem, but they did have locally reared braising steak and one home reared lamb shank (OH can have that next week - I'll have to have a chicken portion or something; lamb shanks usually cause me stomach problems! Smiley Sad

Yet another trip to the hospital tomorrow and yet another afternoon off work. OH got a physio appointment. I've told him, if he's got to go again, to get the appointment as late as possible. School are being brilliant but I really don't want to take the p!

Had a terrible sore throat on Friday night but Strep***s Max strength sorted it out. Just a snivelly nose now. Let's hope it doesn't convert to my usual hacking cough!

Upright again! Slightly tender but nothing too ouchy, if anything I feel less uncomfortable than the implant was. Please excuse the rubbish grammar, I'm sure you get the drift! So just waiting for my follow on appointment to come through, because although I didn't tick all the boxes for cancer there's clearly something not right - and there are lots of things that aren't cancer Smiley Happy hoping they give me a prosthesis too so that I don't scare my customers when I go back to work.

Colic, poor babe, my son had that. I remember painting myself with infacol before each feed but that was 24 years ago, I'm sure it will be something different now!

House sorting and clearing, yes, you have my sympathy! It took us eight months to clear my mum in laws house after she passed away in January, we still have boxes of stuff to find homes for...don't ever buy cocktail sticks , she bought them in trade boxes and we have enough to build a replica Eiffel Tower.

Pain and aches and pains, awful, can really make you feel low and the worry of what may or may not be causing it doesn't help - in fact you're all going through it at the moment in one way or another, so sending out HUGE BENCHLAND HUGS to you all!!!! Xxxx

Community Champion

Ouchy ouch FF, no wonder you are painedSmiley Sad, what happens next more painkillers or an op?? ouch.

Hope you managed everything JCJ and enjoyed your coffee with friend.

Is it a plastic brace?? Mum has one and they look soooooooo uncomfortable. It is hard to go down that route, you have to process it, when you make the decision, you have freedom............which is sooooooooo worth it.

Clearance DONE, took almost 5 hours.................had everything in boxes apart from furniture.........a very long day. One carpet to get rid off now and that's it, woo hoo!!

Have been neglecting my own home so had a "superclean" today, feels like home again. Clutter drives me crazy, YD is out so went mad in there, she will be annoyed but order was needed haha!

GS has colic, have no experience of that whatsoever so we are trying out lots of different things to try and ease the discomfort, evenings are wild here at the moment.

Have also managed to order X food, woo hoo! Another tick on that never ending list..........xx

JCJ Community Champion
Community Champion

[ Edited ]

Ooh er! Degeneration of bones! Sounds hideous, but I suppose, at our age that happens to all of us to some degree? I know my scans (when they were investigating the gall stones symptoms) flagged up bone degeneration. Freaked me out a bit at the time! I hope they can sort you out so you're not in so much pain. 

Yey! For getting through the house clearance and other tasks, Katy! Soon be able to settle back on that CBA bench? Smiley Tongue

Had to take afternoon off school, again, today, to take OH to his orthotics appointment. He now has a leg brace to try to stop his leg bending backwards when he walks, causing pain in his foot and knee. He had high hopes for it making walking easier but he's very disappointed that it doesn't seem to help much Smiley Sad On the way home, we stopped off at a big garden centre to have lunch and look at some mobility scooters. I'm trying to persuade him to get one as it will give him back some independence, but he just can't accept that he's that much of an invalid. I'll have to back off and let him come to that milestone by himself, in his own time. 

Friday tomorrow! Yey! Pajamas for Pudsey day at school. I've got to go in OH's car so I can take it for its MOT straight after. Meeting a friend for a cuppa and catch up while the car's being seen to. Think I'll take some proper clothes with me - not sure I'm brave enough to brazen it out in my PJs at the garage - or in the pub where I'm meeting my friend! 

Got to take OH swimming again tomorrow. I'll probably take my tablet and/or kindle and a flask of tea and sit in the car playing silly games while he swims - save a big taxi fare. I've decided I'm not going to change my swimming night. I like Ladies night at the nearer pool. There's ladies there that I've been seeing every week for years. Also, it's ME time, away from work or OH, and that's important. Swam another mile tonight. Now 36% of the way around Jersey. Talking to someone who lives near us - mother of ES' best friend when he was at school - in the changing rooms, and she said she was impressed with my fitness!! Nobody has EVER said that to ME before!! 

Hope you're ok Ali! 

So, Drs. appt today, blood test shows I'm deficient in folic acid so tablets for that.  X-rays were compared to the CT scan I had two years ago and there is evidence of degeneration in bone and loss of cartilage between the bones.

Dr. had me up on the examination table and moved my legs around until I said ouch!.  Didn't take long!Smiley Sad Now she wants more x-rays of my hips.  Signed off for two weeks and referred for physio. 

Ali. I hope all goes well for you and that stepmum continues to inprove.