Community Champion

Re: stop feeling guilty, small rant (BENCHLAND)

Aaaaaah FF, prob best thing to find out exactly what it's all about..........things are taken out of your hands once in the system and sometimes they forget to give you all details, good luck with whatever you decide today, loads of hugs flying your way. Let us know when you can, cause will be on the "jittery" bench until we know.

Want to be on the "woohoo" bench, short hol break booked, leave on Mon, have a luxury lodge, 3 bedrooms, 2 ensuite and best of all reduced by over £300, soooooooooooooo excited!!!!

Reasonable weather now required xx

PS how is foot today JCJ? xx

JCJ Community Champion
Community Champion

FF, you have my support - and perhaps the fact that you and your daughter can spend some time together today, even if you don't go for the procedure, is a good thing. 

My thoughts are that I agree with you about not having unnecessary invasive procedures. HOWEVER, have the symptoms, that originally caused the scan, gone away? If not, it may be worth ruling out something serious - if only to send those bloody What Ifs away!!

If they really are looking just to see if it's diverticular disease, and you are symptom-free then I definitely agree that there's no point. The docs are just covering their backs - so you can't sue later because they didn't find something? and/or trying to put your mind at rest.

Many hugs. Must dash should have already left for work!! x

Highlighted

I'm still up and still thinking but .......I've decided I'm not having that test tomorrow (ok today, it's after midnight!).  I do now believe that they don't suspect bowel cancer because of the timescale involved.  I want to talk to a Dr. about the CT results before I have anything else done.  None of the Drs. are actually talking to me and I feel I'm being railroaded into this.  I want to know what's going on, or what they suspect before I agree to an "invasive procedure" which carries risks.  

If they tell me face to face that it's necessary and give me a good reason, then I'll have it done.  It will only delay it by about 3 weeks and I'm sure that won't make too much difference.

My daughter has moved heaven and earth this week to be able go with me, arranged childcare, re-arranged her work and now I've got to tell her I'm not going.  She'll smile and say it's ok but I know what she will be thinking.

[ Edited ]

So glad you are both better.

Have been well trained in sewing Katy.  Just don't do it very often but can take care of most repairs that are necessary, insert zips and can even make clothes from a pattern. That's why my trousers fit me.  Need to teach daughter to do this now, as I won't be here forever.

JCJ Community Champion
Community Champion

WTF?? I edited my post (or I thought I did..... so tired, who knows what I actually did??!) and it reposted itself with the extra bit in. Sorry to cause confusion! 

I'm on the smug bench - pulled a footstool alongside so I can elevate my foot. I just managed to fix my car cigarette lighter/charging socket all by myself. Thank you google (and OH who went to the car shop for me to buy the new fuse after I took the blown one out!) The charging socket will be a vital component of our camping trip in 2 weeks time - both for our phones & kindles, but most importantly for the electric air bed pump!! So it's a relief it's fixed and I don't have to fit in a trip to the garage.

Glad you're feeling better, Katy. Smiley Happy

Community Champion

haha we're all posting at the same timeSmiley Happy!!

Are you taking the antihistamines JCJ?

Forgot to say, how good are you FF, all that sewing xx

JCJ Community Champion
Community Champion

I'm  OK, FF. Foot and leg still swollen but not getting any worse. It was a lot better this morning, after lying down all night, but it's back up again now as it's been a very long day. Sports day this am - carried over from Monday when weather forecast was bad - then rehearsing Y6 Leavers' performance, then showcase evening; where every class performs a 5 minute piece for parents who can also look through their child's books. This happens in the classrooms at half hour intervals to allow parents to watch each/all of their children perform. It's in lieu of parent's evening for the summer term, so it's less onerous for the teachers, but it's still a long day as it doesn't finish until 6pm!

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow, FF, and hoping it's not too painful/unpleasant. Also, of course, hoping they don't find anything that requires further investigation! I know exactly what that driving oneself mad thing feels like. It was me last year! Hugs.

You still got the tummy bugger, KTC? I hope you are feeling better. x

Community Champion

Yes FF am fine now, woo hoo!!!

Hope all goes well for you tomorrow FF, will be thinking of you.

JCJ, hope you have had your appt and ankle, leg, foot are all calming down.

Went into town today and was caught in torrential rain, never seen anything like it???? Well, apart from a monsoon when we were abroad haha!

Have some energy back thank goodness, so on the "happy" bench, hopefully you two will be joining me after tomorrow, fingers and toes crossed xx

JCJ Community Champion
Community Champion

I'm  OK, FF. Foot and leg still swollen but not getting any worse. It was a lot better this morning, after lying down all night, but it's back up again now as it's been a very long day. Sports day this am - carried over from Monday when weather forecast was bad - then rehearsing Y6 Leavers' performance, then showcase evening; where every class performs a 5 minute piece for parents who can also look through their child's books. This happens in the classrooms at half hour intervals to allow parents to watch each/all of their children perform. It's in lieu of parent's evening for the summer term, so it's less onerous for the teachers, but it's still a long day as it doesn't finish until 6pm!

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow, FF, and hoping it's not too painful/unpleasant. Also, of course, hoping they don't find anything that requires further investigation! Hugs.

You still got the tummy bugger, KTC? I hope you are feeling better. x

JCJ, you ok?

Katy, you ok?

Just finished repairing daughter's trousers, brand new but the elastic at the waist was bust, so she got them for a really good price.  Now we just need to take them up about 2".  

School lovely and clean today as they'd all been out practising for sports day on Friday.  Powers that be nixed ST's offer of Friday off, I can only have the day of the procedure.  Not bothered, as it's the weekend if I don't feel up to it on Friday, I can do it over the weekend.

[ Edited ]

Just seen your post JCJ.  Flippin heck, get yourself an appt. at the Drs. pdq!  Forget work, your health is more important. Go to a minor injuries clinic like I did last year, or insist on a GP appt. tomorrow. 

[ Edited ]

Goodness me JCJ, I hope your leg has improved.  I had a similar reaction on the Sunday before MMU3 and had a trip to minor injuries unit for help got antihistamines (and anti-biotics in case they didn't work) as I was going away.  

Thank you so much for the info. on diverticular disease.  I knew some of it because my Mother had it and it never seemed to cause her too many problems but I was curious as to whether it ran in families.  I asked google and caught sight of something that was very scary.  I know I've not got that but I went away quickly.

Upon reflection I think the secretary said "of a diverticular nature"  not disease.

Katy - thank you for the hugs, much needed, so sorry you're feeling rough.  Hope you are better tomorrow.

I can and am still driving myself half (not totally, that's an improvement!) insane with  "what if?" scenarios.  My imagination is in overdrive but then I can't get past the timescale. All my "what if's?" would have resulted in quicker results/tests. So I calm down again. 

I've been kept busy yesterday and today being a taxi service, taking daughter and GD to places as her car has been in for it's MOT. She's got it back now, only failed on one tire, now replaced so that's good. I've done Monday Monkeys (a toddler group), school runs, library toddler singing group, taking her MIL to hospital for an appt.. 

Daughter has completely rearranged her life to be able to take me to hospital on Thurs. I am so grateful to her and I will tell her so.

JCJ Community Champion
Community Champion

PS yes you are tempting fate!! Smiley Tongue

JCJ Community Champion
Community Champion

[ Edited ]

Ankle not calmed down. Foot and leg now swollen and the skin feels so tight. Not particularly itchy or painful apart from the fact that the swelling makes it really difficult to walk, especially down stairs, because I can't bend my ankle. Smiley Sad

Everyone at work nagging me to go to Docs. I was going to ask the pharmacist at Sains***** for advice, but by the time I got all the way around the storedoing,  3-weekly shop, I CBA to wait for someone to appear at the counter. I was ready for my ham egg and chips in the café! Nom nom nom.

If it isn't any better tomorrow, I might get OH to hang on the phone and get me an appointment at GP. I can't do it as I need to be at work!! Stupid system.

Yes, KTC, I am still planning on tenting with YD - 2 weeks tomorrow - though I'm worried about what other beasties might want to munch on me!!  Also probably going to take OH and the tent to Anglesey for a week or 2 as well. If the weather's inclement we'll just have to find a pub showing the Olympics, like we did 4 years ago! Smiley Happy

Community Champion

Aaaaah FF, huge hugs, it's awful worrying so much, glad it's somewhat cleared up for you.

Read JCJ's investigations, fingers crossed changing diet etc will work well for you.

When is your appt?

JCJ, happy girls are in woohoo!!! Isn't it funny when you say something, the opposite happensSmiley Frustrated!

I too used to be bitten to shreds by every beastie going but since bc, have been bite free (tempting fate?)................hope your ankle has calmed down now.

Are you still tenting with YD?

grumpy, weather is pretty dismal, where are you? At least you have the wagon wheels, haha!

Have been on the " ANOTHER BUG????" bench, nausea etc yuck, yuck, ED had it too so nothing to do with lido, seems to be only 24 hour thing, grrrrrr! xx

JCJ Community Champion
Community Champion

So sorry you've had such a horrible time, FF. At least the appointment is soon, so you won't be kept waiting - although that is what made it scarier for you, I'm sure!

I googled diverticular disease for you (NHS). It is the most common digestive disorder. Diverticula are just bulges in the large intestine - very common and usually cause no symptoms. 5% of people over 40 have them and 50% of people over 80. It's only diverticular disease if it causes problems: abdominal pain, high temperature, diarrhoea. A high fibre diet will help to alleviate symptoms and stop the bulges getting bigger. Basically, you may well have lived happily with them for years without even knowing if you hadn't had the scans! If you are not having symptoms, you probably won't have to do anything about it. And while they're there they will definitely rule out anything scarier - but they've already told you it's NOT the BC spread.

Fingers crossed for Thursday and speedy results. Mega mugatea and lots of hugs. We're with you in spirit.

Sounds like you are having a peaceful, if rather damp, time Grumpy. I can't wait to be off camping. School is particularly sh*t at the moment but just 9 more days - and one of those is a training day.

I'm regretting telling D-I-L that I no longer react badly to insect bites nearly as much as I regret cutting the hedge, yesterday evening, wearing shorts and flip flops. I got 4 insect bites on my right ankle and today it's swollen to more than twice it's normal size and the skin feels like it's going to burst. I'd swear it was Lyn if it wasn't in my foot. And the wrong side! I've taken an allergy tablet and I'm sitting with a bag of ice cubes on it to try to reduce the swelling. I should know not to tempt fate by now? Smiley Sad

[ Edited ]

I have had the most horrendous weekend but I'm ok now.  Saturday I received appt. letter from the hospital for a sigmoidoscopy on Thursday.  They had enclosed a leaflet telling me all about it.  I read it. That was a mistake.  Several reasons are given for having this procedure, one is "after a CT scan to get a biopsy of any abnormalities".  The others didn't apply so I was in total panic and have been for two days.  I tried to put my rational head on and it didn't work all that well. 

Today I've had a phone call from the GP's secretary to inform me that he's ordered this procedure and that it's for "a thickening of the bowel lining likely to be diverticular disease".  and I should expect an appt. to arrive in a week or so.  

The relief is immense but I really wish the phone call had come before the letter, I have been scared to death. This test is not the one that my daughter and SIL had and it doesn't sound as if it's a piece of cake. Pain is expected, sedation is offered or gas and air or both together.  I don't want to be sedated so I'll go with the gas and air, after all I went through childbirth on gas and air so I'm hopeful  I can do this.

At least the camera is going upwards, that's ok.  If they ever want to put a camera down my throat, they would have NO chance. No way, no how, NEVER!

School has been understanding, given me Thursday off, offered Friday off just in case so I took it. I don't know how I'll feel. 

I am NOT googling diverticular disease,  Mum had it, she was ok for years, perhaps it runs in families?

It's not quite so wet now, mucky clothes in the washer, wearing the Camping Frock and I've just eaten 2 wagonwheels!!! 

No tv, no papers, no phone calls, no meetings, just radio scotland and email - bliss.

Keep well everyone

Love

Grumpy and the pups

JCJ Community Champion
Community Champion

BOO!

That surprised you KTC! 

I will be on the watching tennis (proper GREEN tennis) bench this afternoon. At the moment I'm still in bed "checking my messages" on my tablet and "waiting for the bathroom" (any excuse to delay getting up)

I had several picture messages from YD yesterday and Friday evening. They are in their new house. Paintwork in the flat touched up (in the hope of getting ALL the deposit back - they need that money!) and keys handed over. Now they just have to unpack - though I expect YD might  get slightly distracted by the tennis - yesterday's picture of them "unpacking" was of the TV, on its stand, in the corner of a roomful of boxes, showing the Ladies Wimbledon Final! D-I-L (who doesn't like the tennis) was sprawled on the sofa watching. It's been a long 2 weeks and they've worked hard. I can't wait to visit them in their new home. If only they didn't live 3 hours away (or I had more energy to be able to undertake the trek at a weekend. It's all I can do to recharge my batteries for the next week at work - barely manage to even leave the house at the weekend! Smiley Sad )

2 more weeks. 10 more get ups. I can do this.Just 5 more minutes snoozing now, because I can. I'll pretend I didn't hear OH go downstairs so the bathroom is free! Smiley Tongue

Community Champion

Bottom firmly placed on the "lazy" bench, right next to the "CBA" bench today!

Will not see/hear JCJ or FF at all today because of the tennis, will watch the football tonight..............

Mum needed a new microwave so I ordered one that everyone states "so easy to use" really??? Not for my Mum, oh dear at the moment she is unable to even set the clock sooooooooo may have to pop along later, hee hee, silly mummy. xx