Re: how long does it take to recover from a mastectomy

Karensol I’m interested to see how you go on. I’m booked in for right side mastectomy with lymph nodes biopsy on 26/01/18 due to two sites of Lobular cancer. The doctor today told me it takes 2 wks to recover and after that I’d be fine to drive etc. (Male doctor who hasn’t gone through this procedure). Obviously he has also said there’s still a lot of uncertainty until they actually do the surgery and get pathology report but I’m hoping that I’ll just have to have hormone therapy after the op. I was however a bit disappointed to be told today that I can’t have an implant as he can’t save the skin. The doctor I saw 2 wks ago made it sound as though the implant was a normal thing that would happen. Hope you are ok tomorrow and please let me know how you go on x

Thank you for the reply 😊 

I wanted a double mastectomy but got told because there was no family history of breast cancer I could not have one, so I might look into going private depends on the cost. 

I’ve been off work for 6 months with having chemo so hoping to go back once I recover from the mastectomy. 

Thank you you again for the advice. 

I had a double mastectomy and implants put in right away two years ago.  It took me three months before I was back exercising and playing golf   I was retired at that time but I really could not have seen myself work for at least 6 to 8 weeks.  Thank God I didn’t need chemo or radiation but there was a bad infection and I had to go back in the hospital and have the right implant removed.  It was not replaced for 9 months.   

Good of luck to you 

ps I chose to do the double because i didn’t want to ever go thru the emotional roller coaster again.  I’m glad I did    The oncologists tried to talk me out of it

I had a double mastectomy and implants put in right away two years ago.  It took me three months before I was back exercising and playing golf   I was retired at that time but I really could not have seen myself work for at least 6 to 8 weeks.  Thank God I didn’t need chemo or radiation but there was a bad infection and I had to go back in the hospital and have the right implant removed.  It was not replaced for 9 months.   

Good of luck to you 

ps I chose to do the double because i didn’t want to ever go thru the emotional roller coaster again.  I’m glad I did 

Hi im due to have a right side mastectomy this Friday plus lymph nodes removed and wondering how long does it take to recover and how long would you recommend being off work ? 

Also is there a higher risk getting breast cancer in your other breast ? 

Thank you 

Well done for posting, very well said and very helpful . I am not up to posting anything at mo but wanted to tell u Thxs as this will have helped a lot of people.

Great discriptive words "elec shock". I equated the pain of removing nymph nodes to pulling the hair under your arm or pinching you inside your arm.  I too had a bilateral mastectomy - left after 17 years being clear. Back then underwent 6 weeks radiation and 5 year Tamoxafin.  My surgery was 10/2/17. My surgeon has drawn out two vials of fluid every week since and I suppose tomorrow's visit will be no different.  Now my wound has been oozing.  Did anyone else go through that???

I had a right side mastectomy 3 weeks ago I have had fluid build up on the wound site which has been uncomfortable now it seems to have gone a bit hard which I think is scar tissue , has anyone else expire ended this .Otherwise I feel really good and delighted I do not need further treatment .

Hi,

I went for my Bra fitting yesterday, my Prosthesis, and i am really pleased with it.

I mentioned to my Breast Care Nurse, that where i had my Mastectomy (Right side) i feel really sore-all of a sudden.She has told me it is probably Bone Bruising! She said not to worry.But it feels very sore and tender.Otherwise, i am in tip top condition.

Has anyone else had this i wonder?

x

Hi I have just read what's happened to u ..I have just had same done on Monday when does the pain ease xx

[ Edited ]

I

Community Champion

I am cancer free now but have some ongoing health isssues as a result of treatment.Getting there though !
Community Champion

Hi Butterflies,both times I was home on my own too.They should always invite you in with support to discuss things like that , the nurse said if I had invited you to come in you would have known anyway ???

Thank you for replying. And that must have been awful for you--Twice. I think something should be done about this. Its unacceptable .

i hope you are well now x

Community Champion

Hi Butterflies,well done for having the courage to post and share your story !! I pretty much got told I had cancer over the phone ( twice ) and I think it is a terrible way to give people bad news .Your call on a Friday - really not good ! Keep posting !!!

Hello,This is my first time on the Forum.

I went for my normal Mammogram, i didnt have a lump or anything.Although years ago i have had 2 lumpectomys which were benign.

I was diagnosed with low grade DCIS in February, after having all the usual biopsies etc. i was told that all i needed was a Lumpectomy. I had this done in April.

I recieved a phone call off my Breast Care nurse 2 weeks later, to tell me that i would have to have a Mastectomy.You can imagine how i felt after this phone call!Telling me this on a Friday . My Doctor and Family were not pleased that i was informed this way.

I did see my Consultant, and he told me that all the tissue was not removed.

I had my Mastectomy (right breast)9 weeks ago, on the 7th. June. I stayed in Hospital overnight, and for the next 5 days the District Nurses came to empty my drains. I did do my excercises, and my Husband cared for me.And my Family were wonderful and supportive. I am doing well , i still have slight discomfort, and still have numbness under my arm, where the 2 lymph nodes were removed.And i still feel tired if i do too much.

I did go to the Hospital a few times, to have fluid drained from the site.

And the same Breast Care nurse that phoned me about my Mastectomy, asked if i wanted her to phone me and let me know my results from my OP!!!I couldnt believe it.I bellowed---NO

As i believe she was disciplined over it, and shouldnt have given such news over the phone.

What did help me, prepare for my OP. Was watching the Victoria Derbyshire Video, when she had her  Mastectomy. I must have watched it about 10 times!

I go for my Bra fitting on Thursday, and my Prostheis, as i didnt want reconstruction.

I do feel sad that i have "lost" my right breast, but it is a small price to pay.

I am now debating wether, to have my left breast removed, to prevent what happened.But my Doctor has told me to discuss this with my Consultant in January.

I am on 20mg.Tamoxifen, and as yet no side effects, although i did have a Hysterectomy when i was 38yrs.

On the whole my OP, thanks to the video i watched, went smoothly. The only part i didnt like, was when the Surgeon was marking my right breast, with his felt tip pen,it seemed to go on forever. i did feel like breaking down, i felt humiliated. I know this has to done, but surely they can do it when we are under!!

I hope my letter will help someone, as this Forum has helped me.I am on it everyday, but its the first time, i have written anything. x

I am OK thanks. Just going for dressings changed tomorrow. Hopefully they will take it off for good. Still get tired though.

I had my surgery on the 13th April too - how are you doing now?

Brilliant reading this forum. I had a mastectomy last week. Had dressings changed yesterday. So very sore where lymph node was taken out.
The reply about little electric shock helped as I get these a lot.
Tried to do too much normal stuff I suppose.

I forgot one great thing. My surgeon told me to empty my drains in my plants. I did. The protein makes them shoot up like Jack and the Beanstalk!