Re: how long does it take to recover from a mastectomy

For me, it's taken over 12 months and still do not feel like a well woman.

Mascetomy of one right breast, ended up with 2 emergency ops bcuz of medical/surgical mismanagement. Treatment Injury, is what ACC called it. Two times 'Treatment Injury' for the first 2 ops. Then I got an excellent surgeon the 3rd time.

Still can't drive without pain, have Lymphodemia, can't do vacuuming, hang washing out.

G00D LUCK! IT IS TOTALLY DOABLE... BUT THE RECOVERY IS NOT SUPER FAST.

It takes a long time.. I am three weeks in and not ready to be back in my normal routine. Had no idea it would be this hard

I hope everything went ok with your operation. Im in for mastecomy and lymph node surgery in the next few weeks. Xx

I am due to have a mastectomy of my right breast and they are taking all of the nymph modes out. How long after does chemo start.

Karensol I’m interested to see how you go on. I’m booked in for right side mastectomy with lymph nodes biopsy on 26/01/18 due to two sites of Lobular cancer. The doctor today told me it takes 2 wks to recover and after that I’d be fine to drive etc. (Male doctor who hasn’t gone through this procedure). Obviously he has also said there’s still a lot of uncertainty until they actually do the surgery and get pathology report but I’m hoping that I’ll just have to have hormone therapy after the op. I was however a bit disappointed to be told today that I can’t have an implant as he can’t save the skin. The doctor I saw 2 wks ago made it sound as though the implant was a normal thing that would happen. Hope you are ok tomorrow and please let me know how you go on x

Thank you for the reply 😊 

I wanted a double mastectomy but got told because there was no family history of breast cancer I could not have one, so I might look into going private depends on the cost. 

I’ve been off work for 6 months with having chemo so hoping to go back once I recover from the mastectomy. 

Thank you you again for the advice. 

I had a double mastectomy and implants put in right away two years ago.  It took me three months before I was back exercising and playing golf   I was retired at that time but I really could not have seen myself work for at least 6 to 8 weeks.  Thank God I didn’t need chemo or radiation but there was a bad infection and I had to go back in the hospital and have the right implant removed.  It was not replaced for 9 months.   

Good of luck to you 

ps I chose to do the double because i didn’t want to ever go thru the emotional roller coaster again.  I’m glad I did    The oncologists tried to talk me out of it

I had a double mastectomy and implants put in right away two years ago.  It took me three months before I was back exercising and playing golf   I was retired at that time but I really could not have seen myself work for at least 6 to 8 weeks.  Thank God I didn’t need chemo or radiation but there was a bad infection and I had to go back in the hospital and have the right implant removed.  It was not replaced for 9 months.   

Good of luck to you 

ps I chose to do the double because i didn’t want to ever go thru the emotional roller coaster again.  I’m glad I did 

Hi im due to have a right side mastectomy this Friday plus lymph nodes removed and wondering how long does it take to recover and how long would you recommend being off work ? 

Also is there a higher risk getting breast cancer in your other breast ? 

Thank you 

Well done for posting, very well said and very helpful . I am not up to posting anything at mo but wanted to tell u Thxs as this will have helped a lot of people.

Great discriptive words "elec shock". I equated the pain of removing nymph nodes to pulling the hair under your arm or pinching you inside your arm.  I too had a bilateral mastectomy - left after 17 years being clear. Back then underwent 6 weeks radiation and 5 year Tamoxafin.  My surgery was 10/2/17. My surgeon has drawn out two vials of fluid every week since and I suppose tomorrow's visit will be no different.  Now my wound has been oozing.  Did anyone else go through that???

I had a right side mastectomy 3 weeks ago I have had fluid build up on the wound site which has been uncomfortable now it seems to have gone a bit hard which I think is scar tissue , has anyone else expire ended this .Otherwise I feel really good and delighted I do not need further treatment .

Hi,

I went for my Bra fitting yesterday, my Prosthesis, and i am really pleased with it.

I mentioned to my Breast Care Nurse, that where i had my Mastectomy (Right side) i feel really sore-all of a sudden.She has told me it is probably Bone Bruising! She said not to worry.But it feels very sore and tender.Otherwise, i am in tip top condition.

Has anyone else had this i wonder?

x

Hi I have just read what's happened to u ..I have just had same done on Monday when does the pain ease xx

[ Edited ]

I

Community Champion

I am cancer free now but have some ongoing health isssues as a result of treatment.Getting there though !
Community Champion

Hi Butterflies,both times I was home on my own too.They should always invite you in with support to discuss things like that , the nurse said if I had invited you to come in you would have known anyway ???

Thank you for replying. And that must have been awful for you--Twice. I think something should be done about this. Its unacceptable .

i hope you are well now x

Community Champion

Hi Butterflies,well done for having the courage to post and share your story !! I pretty much got told I had cancer over the phone ( twice ) and I think it is a terrible way to give people bad news .Your call on a Friday - really not good ! Keep posting !!!