Re: Rib Pain from Radiotherapy?

The rib pain and lumps seem to be normal after everything.  I had a bad fall afterwards too, broke my leg, tore things in my shoulder on the non breast cancer side and really hurtmy ribs on the breast cancer side.  Have not had xrays of the ribs but they were very painful for a few weeks.  Kept getting flareups of the rib pain and lots of swelling above and below the breast.

I am 9 months post wide area exision and 5 months post radiotherapy and my breast just has a huge hard triangular lump of scar tissue that takes up whatever breast that is left.  am

Hi

I had breast cancer 11 months ago. I had WLE and lymph node removal for invasive breast cancer. Since I finished radiotherapy end of November I have had rib pain. I mentioned to the oncologist who informed me that it was nothing to do with radiotherapy or surgery. I spoke to my breast consultant who informed me that 90 % of women present with rib pain. I am taking naproxen for pain relief.  I recently had a ct scan which included my ribs and the all clear was given so I know there is nothing untoward. I also have lumps in my right breast from surgery and have been informed that this is from surgery and radiotherapy and can take up to 12 months post radiotherapy for any improvements to be seen. I have been informed mine has gone slightly better but the chances of the lumps going is slim, but this is a small price to pay.

Just thought I would add my experience as I know reading other people's helps me 

[ Edited ]

Hey Everyone,

My rads treatment finished end of Feb and I am still suffering from the discomfort of WLE for DCIS. Unfortunately about three months after the rads finished, I fell on the stairs at work and aggravated my right arm and bruised it. This aggravated my breast area where the op was done and so I think my current pain and discomfort is due to this added action. 

My right breast is still lumpy and painful in parts and I just wonder whether this is normal? I had a open forum meeting which is given at my local hospital, once signed off active treatment and after rads finished and the BCN said that it is par for the course to be in relative discomfort for at least 18 months or more.  I often have pain in my back, rib area, right arm, underneath the breast area/top side of the ribs and at one point, I could not even rest on my right side in bed come nightime. It was so excruciatingly painful and too uncomfortable.

I am endeavouring to  monitor my body and feel for any abnormalities but with lumpy post operative tissue, it is difficult to know if the lumps felt are actually the lumps of the op alone.  

Just wanted to add my experience to the forum.

AC 

Hi

Have just woken up this morning, again with pain across my ribs, and also tenderness in my breast and 'awareness' in my right arm and had a light-bulb moment. RADIOTHERAPY! POST BREAST CANCER!

I had a lumpectomy and radiotherapy last year. 

Of course, what I have read here all ties in. I didn't Google when I was diagnosed or receiving treatment and have been scared stupid for the last three weeks. I had a heart attack six years ago and thought, 'That's it, it's my heart.' 

I'm going to contact my post-op care nurse @ Barts on Monday but, in the meantime, thank you all for being here. The explanations I have read sound reassuring.

Hi,

I just joined the group after searching the internet for rib pain after rads and I am 4 years out and started having rib pain.  I have it and it seems to have gotten worse from losing some weight too.  I started getting pain in my breast too, where the internal cutting took place.  He went in from the side to get the tumor out.  My arm and shoulder hurt too.  I'm afraid to check with my oncologist because I don't want them thinking it came back or anything like that....no fun at all.  

Hi

I'm 6 yrs on from my op and rad. My rib pain comes in the form of a cramp. When I first got it i thought I was having a heart attack. My doctor assured me it was muscular pain and nothing to do with the heart but other than that, no-one has offered me an explanation. It eased a bit but now I've lost a bit of weight in that area it's back with a vengeance. I still have slight pain in my breast and a while back it was very painful, along with my arm and shoulder.  It turned out I had 2 oil cysts in my breast and they were dispersing (normal in scar tissue). The pain gradually got better, but always some discomfort. How are you doing now? I noticed your post is from 2013 but I've only just found this website Smiley Happy

Hi Midgemoo

Welcome to the forums, I’m sorry to read that you are having a rough time at the moment. I’m sure some of the other the users will be along to support you soon.

In the meantime maybe it would help to talk things through with a member of our helpline staff who are there to offer emotional support as well as practical information. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

Hi,
I too have very painful ribs & more recently a stabbing pain in boob on rad side, plus pins & needles and aches & pains in same arm. My treatment was 2 years ago & pain is worse now than just after treatment.
I went to see my BCN in Nov last year as i was concerned with pain and & she thought rib pain was down to rads & arm problems were post op trauma & nerve related & gave me excercises to do. I then saw my consultant this week & told him i was still suffering from a lot of pain & he thinks the rib & boob pain is still from the rad treatment?
Maybe it is rad damage causing the pain, but I find it difficult to believe that the pain is actually getting worse over time rather than better? That just doesn't seem right does it?

Just found thread. I had WLE and 16x rads 2009. No rib pain initially but now get a "kick" in ribs on affected side if twist or slouch on sofa. Not told anyone but am waiting for clinic appointment as have found another lump so will mention then. Hate waiting - no date yet

Buup bump bbump
for everyone who has similar questions january 2013

Ive not had any swelling, just a bruised pain that comes and goes.

Hi,

I am 18 months after radiotherapy and I am now suffering severe rib pain and a large swelling below my ribs, pain is so bad I have been put on morphine by my gp. I am going to see my oncologist on Friday. I have been very worried but I am please to see other people also have pain.

Does anyone have a large swelling as well as the pain.

Alison

Hi All,

It is so good to hear I am not the only one with rib pain. I have a large red swelling below my ribs in the middle with severe pain. I am currently on morphine for the pain but my GP has requested I see my oncologist who I am seeing on Friday.

Has anyone else had any swelling or just pain.

Alison

I'm over 2 years on from rads now and still get the odd stabbing pain when I least expect it, usually in the bottom 2 ribs. I spoke to the Consultant at my last mammogram follow up in December and he said it might never go. I am also still pink on that side and sometimes feel I could do with my left bra cup being bigger than the right because when I take my bra off at night you can see where it has cut in.

Yep, I'm in the rib-pain club too!! Wasn't too bad shortly after radiotherapy but from a few months after it became a regular occurrence. I like the example someone gave of it being as if kicked by a horse. That's just right. I've described it like having being hit with a baseball bat. And its been on my whole rib cage too but not permanently luckilly. Sometimes its only on my bra line. Anyone worked out how to reduce the pain apart from paracetemol? Would rather use something more natural rather than yet more drugs.

I'm part way through my rads & don't have any rib pain as yet, but thought the following would be worth posting.
I occasionally suffer from back pain & see a chiropracter about it. I last went a fews days before my op as I didn't want to be doing breast surgery & back pain at the same time. When I told my chiropracter about my diagnosis, he said that he wouldn't be able to treat me for some time (at least 18 months I think) after my radiotherapy becasue of the risk of damage to bones. A bit of a shame as my back is not good at the moment and I know he could sort it out in one session , but I'm having to manage it with ibuprofen.
I hope all your rib pains are fleeting
Phili x

I am about 5 weeks post rads now and the rib pain has eased up loads. I will still mention it to my onc when I see her later this week though.

Hope everyone else is feeling better too

Hi Lolly and all rads side effect ladies.........

Keep getting lost on these threads...put my update on a different one duh!

My consultant told me the painful ribs are definitely a side effect from rads. The swelling, lumpiness and redness of the breast is to do with trapped fluid. Was told that we react in different ways to the treatment....hence some ladies having these problems and some getting bad burns. I did have 30 treatments. Was advised to try going bra less as often as I could and that does seem to help although not practical all the time.

They have asked me to go back on 1 June (8 weeks after I last went) and have always said any real worries to contact them sooner. At least they are keeping an eye on it.

Best wishes to you all from Judy x

Hi all

Just wondering how everyones rib pain is?

Judyw - what did your consultant say?

Im finding that my on/off rib pain is now around the side as well as the front, which makes it harder to lye on that side. BCN says normal part of rads but will check with onc in June.

Oh my god...am I happy I found you ladies!

I have been beside myself for the last couple of days with the tenderness on my mx side around the rib cage. I seem to be suffering with really tender skin more than pain...I feel like I have been kicked by a horse!

Finished rads 2 weeks ago today and am hoping this this is the cause of the discomfort - my mind has been going mad as I'm sure you will understand. Had a bone scan and CT scan October last year which were all fine but still can't help worrying.