Re: Rib Pain from Radiotherapy?

Finished radio last December the last few days my left rib cage feels very sore nothing visable I have multiple seromas that the sugion does not want to do anything yet I do not see him till spring but a bit concerned

Finished radio last December the last few days my left rib cage feels like it's got a big spot that's the feeling nothing visable I have multiple seromas that the sugion does not want to do anything yet I do not see him till spring but a bit concerned

Just finished radsx15 after masectomy and chemo. My ribs under where breast was itch and are sore but I was told this is very common. I read the actual ribs can fracture years later but it is rare. We are all individuals

and react differently. I had constant itching in the affected breast 2 months before the diagnosis and it is still there and you have this.  I do feel sorry for you.

I had Stage 3 as well but only had 3 nodes removed (Sentinel biopsy) whereas you had more removed. I asked several times if they were going to remove more lymph nodes and was amazed they did not but I think this is all very individual . I had a Pet scan which showed cancer in local nodes very slow-growing  and the chemo worked well so maybe that is why ? Good luck

Hello. New to this group. I had lumpectomy and 28 rounds radiation therapy back in 2010 on left breast close to my lower arm pit and not far from the lymph node surgical site. I'v had just started Having pain under my my ribs on left side these past 7 months but find I get relief when taking off the bra and laying down. I did start a new position at work and sit down quite a bit. I notice I lean to my left and slouch on that side quite often. I have attributed the pain to bad posture. I have picked up weight yes lively tamoxifen and attributed my pain to not getting new bras. My doctor did tell me that he did take out some muscular structure which puts more strain on that side. After reading these posts my worries of what it could be has decreased. I recently had a mammo and everything is clear.

I'm nearly 10 years post breast surgery ...lumpectomy and 25 radio .... so glad to find this forum after googling rib pain and radio ... also had cervical cancer another 25 radio chemo and brachytherapy.... don't know if that would affect my ribs though!! . I seem to strain the intercostal rib muscles and it's getting more frequent or taking less to strain my ribs. I've just bought a rib brace and fingers crossed it seems like good support. Won't wear it all the time but for riding and find it great on long car journeys or sitting for a long time. Anyone else find it's worse as the years go by? Mind you small price to pay me thinks. 🎀

Hi i to had really sore ribs i finished rads October 2016 ,the constant pain has now subsided but still get the random niggle now and then but nothing like it used to be, hope yours is better soon x

Im still having rib pain after have radiotherapy in May 2016 but I've also noticed a thin vein like swelling down the side of my ribs. Has anyone else had this? 

My radiation oncologist at M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas told my that some of us are genetically predisposed to have a painful effect from radiation which could remain or even get worse over time...ugh! They continue to evaluate the survivors of the Japanese atomic bomb all these years for answers. Someday. Hugs!

I had stage IIIc so had a mastectomy as well as all lymph nodes removed under my right arm and up my neck. Had reconstruction after 18 rounds of radiation. Broke 3 ribs just turning in bed then a broken collar bone that could not be set a couple of years after that. Wearing a bra was impossible. Had my reconstructed breast and my left breast reduced as much as possible which made my plastic surgeon cry! It's been 11 years post treatment and my rib and shoulder pain is barely tolerable...also have lymphedema in my right arm. I see the sun rise everyday, saw my kids graduate from college, one got married and have a granddaughter to spoil rotten! My daughter is found a great guy to share her life with and a wedding is being mentioned. It's been so worth it living on this side of the grass! Find something to giggle about even at the worst of times ladies!

I still have rib pain nearly 5 years on and I've been on treatment all the time. The rib pain is iccasional, always when I'm seatef and can be relieved by lying down. I am in serious painkillers for bone mets mainly in my pelvis but this rib pain comes sharply through the painkillers.
I've bought bra extenders which have helped.

Hope its better soon, how did they discover that xx

Dr said no OTC meds.  I have internal blood seepage that has not been found yet.  I take some lightweight narcotic!  And hate feeling doped, cant/refuse to use when working or driving.

Sorry your not feeling to great and hope today is a bit better.rib pain due to the inflammation can be very painful at times i just try and take some ibuprofen. I find it worse when im in bed and im trying to turn round ,ive been told it will get better but can last for sometime after rads finish x

I am so glad I found this site. I finished 16 days radiation on right side MARCH 27, 2017. I am still having burning peeling, tough skin etc. But now even after removing bra I have rib pains in front and my shoulder blade area. Its so bad I can't breath deep, move my arm without severe pain. Sleep is impossible. I am trying to get back to NORMAL work schedule but fatigue is hindering me. I am grateful I can pick and choose assignments. As Caregiver of seniors in their homes I can pick lighter care. I am 78 had stage 2 breast cancer lumpectomy only lost 3 lymph nodes. But I am thinking the cure is as bad as the disease. The Tamoxifen has terrible side effects. Yep I am depressed tonight. But praying better tomorrow. Prayers for all of you on this site too.

I still get rib pain nearly 12 months after finishing radiotherapy. I ran for the first time in years last Thursday - as I'm doing a race for life in July & want to be able to run it. So I bought myself a new sports bra which is under wired & I haven't wore an under wired bra since my op. We'll have I suffered since! But I won't let it beat me - what's a bit of discomfort after what we've been through! X

Community Champion

Hiyer Rd,

Glad this thread helped you 😊 my rib pain...which I think was probably connective tissue rather than bone pain if you know what I mean...has practically gone now. I had rt last June...so maybe by your first mammo yours will be gone too. X

I happened upon this site today and I'm so glad I did!!  I've secretly been a little worried because I too have been having sore ribs. I thought it was in my breast at first, then realized it's under my breast, on the ribs.  But they only hurt when I feel around, or when I try to sleep on my left side. (I also will only wear very comfy bras!)

I had a lumpectomy on left side in November 2016, followed by 16 rounds of radiation at the end of December 2016 and into January 2017. The lumpectomy was a breeze compared to the "burn" after radiation.  OMG! It was awful!  But I healed up nicely, have had really good range of motion, but had pretty bad fatigue. But that's so much better too. Then started getting the sore ribs.  So now I can see that it's to be expected and I can totally can handle that.  I don't go for my first mammogram until July, but I'm not worried anymore! 

Thank you everyone!!

JMB

I have only just discovered this site today as I was searching for answers for my rib pain which has moved from the front to under my arm. (Still tender under breast)

I had a lumpectomy in 2002 on my left side and radiation. I have been very blessed with no problems, bar sensitivity the my breast and tenderness under my breast on the rib.

Last year I started to get like a dull pain through my left breast from the sternum across to the left.

Every year I return to RPA hospital for my mammogram and/or ultrasound. I mentioned this to the doctor, and for reassurance she sent me for a bone scan. Turned out all good!

From last week my ribs under my arm is very tender to touch and a pain which is pulse like happens on and off during the day, it does worry me why it is happening, but after reading all your comments I realise this is what is going to happen to us. I didn't think after 15 years it would become more intense. 

Has anyone had this experience after 15 years on.

It seems very common Michelle sometimes it was very painful I started to feel it before I went for my first mammogram in March this year and they said it was due to the radiotherapy as it can cause a bit of inflammation but it's not to bad now thank goodness I just took some ibuprofen which did take the edge of it x

Kaitlyn,
I too had a lumpectomy on my right breast in June 2016, radiation (20) in Aug 2016. Have recently been experiencing rib tenderness underneath my armpit and sometimes underneath by breast. I go for a mammogram on Tuesday and was going to mention it to my doctor. Looks like it's non uncommon!
Michele