Re: Rib Pain from Radiotherapy?

I understand your pain katelynne it can be really painful at times I find it painful if I turn certain ways to quickly, I ve been advised it's from the radiotherapy and was told to take some ibuprofen as pain is inflammation hope this helps and let's you know your not alone lots of us have it to xx

I had a bilateral lumpectomy and a partial mastectomy. I understand rib pain. Sometimes it takes my breath away. I'm not sure if the pain was caused from the operations or most likely the radiation treatment. But it often makes it difficult for me to exercise.

katlynne

That's good news heatherc , pain in ribs can be really sore at times I find it's worse when I'm in bed and when I turn round it's not so bad when I'm up moving about and I find ibuprofen takes the edge of it

I have rib pain too, it seems to move around. I thought it was from my Bronchiectasis (lung disease) but now I think it's probably the rads. Mine were last August, I got the all clear today thank goodness!

I'm also taking centrum multivitamin and osteocare for the calcium magnesium and vitamin d as told to by gp 😊

Yeah and mine was on my left side so I did the deep breath inhalation for the radiotherapy
Community Champion

Ah, so that makes sense, we were both 'near the ribs' for rt and boosters.

Hi mine was right underneath just where your ribs are every pain I get I was worried about but feel a bit more at ease since having my mammogram , its bad enough going through everything without the side effects, I have a bit of peripheral neuropathy in my finger tips but it's not to nab and oncologist says it will eventually go but prescribed me amitriptyline and that has helped
Community Champion

I know exactly what you mean, I can touch and press certain very specific parts of the boney area and it just really hurts. Mine was very high up, literally at the top of the area that is breast tissue, so lumpectomy was done practically on muscles and ribs. Where was yours ?

I to had lumpectomy chemo and radiotherapy all finished on October 16 egret, and it seems to be immflamation on ribs from radiotherapy, I started taking some ibuprofen which takes the edge of it

Thankyou charys, I must have read the letter ten times just to make sure then cried with relief, just this rib pain although ibuprofen seems to take the edge of it thanks again 😊
Community Champion

Great news Lane, your first after treatment? 

Rib pain is really painful at times , but got good news today results from my mammogram all good so happy

Lori Jane,

I hope your rib pains have settled by now. I'm not sure if a CT scan would cause further pains but the scans do use high levels of radiation so it may have produced further inflammation in you. I've never had a CT scan.

Regarding painkillers I just take paracetamol and ibuprofen every so often, dont need them much as I'm not sore unless my ribs are pressed directly and I've found some larger size bras which i can wear quite comfortably now at work for a 12-hour shift, ;  with smaller sized bras I ached so much around my chest after work that it hurt to breathe.

It's good to know we are not alone,I finished rads in October last year and at times my left breast is painful and ribs it is very worrying which I suppose is understandable considering what we all have gone through.

Hi I finished radiarion therapy in Oct. 2016. Four weeks ago I had a ct scan done of my abdomen and chest for another health issue. However, since the scan I have had rib pain and acheing. I had breast cancer on my left side, but after finishing all my treatment I felt pretty good. Could this ct scan have re-irritated the tissue on my left side now causing rib and bone pain....thanks. What are people useing for pain relief?

Thanks for the posts on this thread. I had an MX last June and had radiotherapy before Christmas. Have had rib pain for a long time and had X-rays a while ago, thankfully all clear. The rib pain has recently been worse but Drs I saw for follow ups in both radiotherapy and breast surgeon weren't worried. It seems to have calmed down a bit now so I'm hoping all will be well. I seem to go from one ache to the next - my ANC arm is sore today so I'm panicking it's the start of lymphodema! How I long for my carefree days pre diagnosis. 

soi

I'm the same with rib pain. Had recurrence in 2015 after mastectomy in 2011  They had to go back in as lump was on the scarring. I've had lots of pain on my bone and ribs.  I find it my bra to tight it agribates it as there is no cushioning left..

I had radiotherapy in Jan/Feb 2013 after lumpectomy and chemo. My breast and ribs have always been sore and painful and I understand just where you're coming from when you mentioned you're son accidentally hurting you. My grandchildren love to snuggle up on the sofa with me but often catch me with their bony little elbows as they wriggle to get comfortable! The pain is unbelievable! My oncologist and the doctors at the breast unit have told me repeatedly that if I still have pain, then I probably always will!! Wonderful! Still it's a small price to pay at the end of the day. 

Anne North, your experience sounds very similar to mine. My lumpectomy was at the front of my left breast and it's left a huge crater. Yes, i was offered a fat transfer operation to fill it out, as they tell me the pain is because the chest wall is no longer cushioned. But I too, chickened out of any more surgery. I can live with the scarring and now the fact one nipple is higher than the other, that is the hardest to cope with especially in summer t-shirts, i can live with the discomfort, i can live with the awfully larger-than-they-should-be tattoos of black ink placed on me by a novice at radiotherapy planning, i can and will cope with it because without all this i would no longer be alive at this present time !!!!

xxxxxx