Re: Has anyone had a symmetry operation

Hi I had WLE and Lymph node clearance at end of January and have my last session of radiotherapy tomorrow. Now I am wandering whether I should ask if I could have some surgery as my boob which has had all the tratment is smaller than the other one and one nipple seems lower that the other which make me look very odd. has anyone else had similar problems and had surgery?

Any operation takes time to recover from, and rearranging tissue and muscle will take it's toll. I hope you are doing your exercises to keep everything moving . I had a symmetry op 3 years ago and I still massage the scar tissue as it gets stiff. I am sure your workplace and gp and occupational therapist can come to agreement as to when you are fit to return to work as we all recover in different ways. Good luck sweetie!

Hey Poppy, thank you :-) 

Don't exhaust yourself too much, it's hard work recovering from an op. As you say one day at a time and maybe work up to the power walking haha! We all recover in our own time so try not to worry so long as you can see progress (however small) then that's good. After my op my breast felt very hard (and heavy) for several weeks (around 6-7), it's only in the last two weeks it has started to feel more normal.  Hopefully yours will heal faster.  I went to get some new bras last week from a little lingerie shop and the lady there told me it can take months for the breast tissue to settle after these sort of operations.  It certainly took several months for the scarring from my first op to 'smooth out' and not feel bumpy anymore.  All the best and I'm sure you'll be power walking in no time ;-) take care xx

Hi Vik. It's great to hear your good news that you have found a new role. I've gone back to work this week, it's not been too bad just wish I could be teleported there as the getting ready and travel is exhausting, but I am taking one day at a time. I laughed today I read on one of the websites that you could start power walking between day 10 - 14. I can only just walk normally never mind power walk!! It is difficult to find info on what's normal and what's not. It would save a lot time worrying about things that are OK. It still feels very heavy...is that normal? The problem is we are all different and recover at different rates. Thanks for your support and Good Luck with the new job...xx

Hi Poppy,

Like you I have found this site so useful.  There have been times when I've felt lower than I thought possible but having this forum has been a lifeline. I feel so much better now physically and I'm getting there emotionally, but I think getting back to work will help enormously.  I have actually just been offered a job which I've accepted.  I'm going into fundraising for a local hospice.  I have been volunteering there for a few months and a job vacancy came up.  Can't wait to get started.  I was in IT and had been looking in the same field but to get a similar position to what I had previously would mean a significant amount of travelling and I decided I didn't need the stress!  

So pleased you're happy with your operation, must admit although I was desperate to have mine done I was also scared witless that it wouldn't match my expectations. Thankfully it all worked out and I know from my first operation that it takes things long time to settle down so try not to worry too.much.  Walking is the perfect exercise and I'm sure it won't be long before you're back out there again.

Luv n hugs xx

Hi Vik Thank you for taking the time to reply. That's what I love about this site, there is always someone who has the same experience to help with the way you feel.  Your comments have made me feel more positive and as usual I realise I am rushing to get back to normal!  It's a long journey isn't it. After what cancer did to my body for me it was  one less reminder when i looked in the mirror and it helped to give me back my confidence. Like you, I am pleased with I have had done. I do lots of walking and hope I can start that again soon as I have missed it especially with the weather being so nice. The emotional side is another matter!!  I don't think you ever get over what we have been through, we just learn to cope. I can always tell when I feel low as I am back on this site!! Hope your recovery continues to be good and good luck with the job hunting.What type of role are you looking for? Lots of love..xx

Hi Poppy,

I had my symmetry operation 9 weeks ago now.  It is only in the last 2 weeks that I've felt comfortable in bed and I'm not worried about rolling over and causing pain on my operation side. I'm still wearing a sports crop top to sleep in though. My wounds took a long time to heal, I put this down to the battering my body has had over the last year or so; lumpectomy & SNB (Dec 2015), chemo (Jan - April 2016) & radiotherapy (May 2016).

I had to wearing dressings on the wounds for 6 weeks after the op. I think just a week off work might be unrealistic but it depends on your job. My BC nurse told me not to go back to exercising until at least 6 weeks after, due to my slower healing I'm still waiting to get back to my normal routine of gym, swimming & pilates. Only started pilates so far. The gym won't let me come back until I've got a note from my Doctor to say I'm fit to return. I was made redundant last year so not had to negotiate time off work with an employer, although I have been job searching. I think the key is to listen to your body, it will heal and things will settle down but maybe not as quickly as your consultant says. It took months for my left side to settle down after the lumpectomy and even now I get the occasional twinge of pain. My surgeon told me that's normal and it can take a long time for the nerves in the breast to settle.  Btw I am so pleased I had the symmetry operation, for me the results are fantastic. I spent a year wearing a prosthesis on my left side and just couldn't wait to get the op done and start feeling normal again! Good luck with your recovery and I hope you are happy with the results. Big hugs,

Vik

Highlighted

Has anyone had a symmetry operation

Hi ladies. I am 2.5 years post MX and 2 years post reconstruction having a LD flap. After losing a lot of weight and the false side not changing size to match the other one I decided to have an op on the other side. It is two weeks since I had my op and it's still really painful to move about. I feel like I have two giant melons strapped to my front and I only have small boobs.  My consultant said one week off work and now starting to panic I still won't be fit enough to go back next week! I was just wondering if anyone else had any experience from having this op.Xx