Community Champion

Re: letrozole se major joint pain/ help!

Beetle
It's just not funny how such a small little pill can cause so much problems ..it might settle down as its early days still ..I have been on it 20 months ...taking painkillers on a long term basis is not good either . If I have the aches I use a hot water bottle or a rub in cream like deep heat .
If it gets too much than maybe you could swap to another hormone pill ..there are a few options . After the whole bc thing ..you do want some quality of life now ..as leyrozole can be 5/10 years ..
Hugs xxx

Knees ankles hands fingers

Hi, on this beautiful summer evening. I have been taking letrozole since April 2017, I had previously taken tamoxifen for 2 and half years.  I can cope with the hot sweats, I have chillow, it's the heel, ankle and knee pain that is getting me down.  My doctors, as wonderful as they are do not seem to be able to advice on this.  What pain killers can I safely take as I am not able to stand when I wake up or have been sitting for a while and after driving I have to slide out of the door in front of everyone at work and try to conceal the pain I am in for a few minutes.  I have carpel tunnel in both hands one hand I have had cortisone and one in the other tomorrow but don't think they can inject my whole body.  I so want to be able to do gardening is there something I can get doctor to prescribe?? My doctor took photos of my reconstruction and was amazed at what I'd had done he had never seen this before.  Do I need a bone scan, I feel as tho I need to ask for this and painkillers as they don't understand how much my life is being affected.  I am forever in debt to our NHS for such wonderful surgery and aftercare but in order to work and just potter in garden this is almost impossible now, I am determined not to get low, I do walk but gave up swimming as legs and arms were not improving.  My legs feel heavy as tho I am a wet heavy sponge. I am scared to take any pill without advice

thankyou

hi I am on my third lot of letrozole and seem to have all side effects going, painful joints, itchy, back pains you name it I've got it, never suffered indigestion before but now it's horrible so painful. I am most concerned about my legs and ankles have started to swell and are painful to touch, has anyone suffered from this and is it all part and parcel of taking letrozole and something that has to be endured for next 5 years? If these side effects continue I'm not sure if I can persevere. I feel like an old person.

I think my pharmicists must be trying to save money. Been given a strange Dutch brand - pom? - Makes me more achy than either cipla or accord so will ask them to chage me back x 

Community Champion

Hi tili
I also find the "accord " brand better than cipra which I had for five months. I'm told by the chemist ..the doctor has to authorise a particular brand so i think I will ask doc for that.
The hair loss is better to.

Hi girl, have been on Letrozole for 9 months, 1st few months were horrible, however I think a chat with the pharmacist at your chemist maybe they can get another brand for you at the moment I have ACCORD and feeling much better and in control of myself. Lots of love and good wishes

Maryed I agree with you totally and have also stopped takiing it. Not told anyone yet. Have my first reviee on afriday!!! Guess I will get a lecture but I need to work.

I was given Letroxole after surgery and radio therapy for breast cancer i had  about eight months ago.  About two month ago i started to have pain and in spite of pain killers the pain became unbearable I couldn't put my foot to the ground and was unable to put any weight on it.

I think this is a horrible drug and since I stoped taking it about ten days ago am already fealing better.    I rather take my chance than this drug

I have been taking Letrozole for about 7 months. I was diagnosed last November with IDC, had lumpectomy and results were grade 2, no nodes or vascular invasion and clear margins. I started aching in the third week of radiotherapy and haven't stopped aching since. I get general aches but the main ones are in the outside top of my arm and shoulder which has got worse. I get a shooting pain in the top of my arm and shoulder if I lift my arm too high or if I reach for something behind me. I get a bit confused and wonder if it's letrozole, rads or nerve damage or a combination of them all ? You can't help thinking about more sinister reasons but as I was caught nice and early I'm hoping it's something that will go away. I have my first year check up in November so will ask about it then. Anyone share my symptoms ? Xx

I used aloe Vera in the past for a bladder problem and it was very good. Thanks for reminding me about it I think that I will try it again.........:-)

Hi lynnq.  I agree pain killers do help a lot, but I find that they make me very constipated, even paracetemol.  The onc says its probably as a result of chemo leaving me with a sensitive gut.  I find the pain is worse when I am tired or I have been on my feet a lot.  I try to pace myself and sit down when I can.  Also I go for a 30 minute walk each day which does relieve the pain. I've also learnt not to try to push my way through the pain and will go and lie down on the bed for an hour when the pain is bad.  

Hi.  I too am taking letrozole and suffer from joint pain.  I take aloe vera capsules to keep my hair, nails and skin in good condition.  If you can take the juice that is better but it is very expensive and tastes really bad.  You can get high strength aloe vera capsules online at a reasonable price.  It's certainly worth a try.

[ Edited ]
Hi Janro.....are you taking painkillers?

I have been on LETROZOLE now for ten months and like you I have joint pains. I have some good days when it is only noticeable when I have to stand after sitting and other days when I just seem to ache all over. I am not a good sleeper and I find that the better I have slept the night before the easier the joint pain seems to be.

I also sometimes take Ibuprofen. I don' t take them too regularly because I have an hiatus hernia.

My BCN suggested that I take them with food and instead of just taking the odd one when the pain gets bad to take them three times a day for about three days this gives them the opportunity to build up in the body and reduce some of the inflammation Ithen find that I can go without for a few days. Sometimes I alternate with paracetamol as well.

A couple of weeks ago I seemed to be taking them every few hours, but have not needed any at all this week. I am feeling achey today but had a couple of long (3 miles) walks yesterday and the day before so that may be why. The Onc said weight bearing exercise is good so I try to walk every day, even if it is just for 15 minutes around the village.

I am also on Zometa every 4 weeks and Adcal supplement daily. These are the only treatments that I have had. ..apart from surgery . When I first mentioned the aches to the Onc he did say that there was other things we could try but I have had vey encouraging results on my scans and also tumour markers in the last ten months so do not want to stop the LETROZOLE. Unless the pain gets really bad.

Apart from the joints I have had no other SE so I can't complain. I find it strange that it can be such an effort to stand up from sitting, and yet once I am up after a few minutes of moving around it almost disappears........

Hi Janro sorry to hear of your joint pain. I find that things are improving for me, been taking it for a couple of months now and the pains are not as frequent (usually early hours) or as bad.  Hot flushes too, unless I am getting used to them. Worse thing for me is my hair is shedding, a lot! Amyone know of any supplements that may help?

letrozole se major joint pain/ help!

I have been taking Letrozole for 6 months due to having a pulmonary embolism and no longer able to take Tamoxifen. The joint and muscle aches are so bad that I am limited as to what I can do ( can't get in and out of bath or chairs ). I don't want to stop treatment because of the long term benefits, does anyone have any suggestions pleaase?