cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Progesterone, assorted other hormones and fluffy cake

Re: Progesterone

Hey girlies

Can I just say - You're all looking AB-FAB tonight. I know, I'm such a flirt. (well . . I am a lover of women! and have made this fact known on other posts)

Janey - you really didn't need to go to the extent of having my name tattooed on your boob. Really!!! I'm touched. But I'm much more pleased you aren't having to go down the chemo route. Have I got that right?? YOU don't EVER need to bring cake. It's truely is the least I can do. So can I give a massive WHOOHOO ref your appointment results today??

Oh Magic - what is this Linux Accelerator? Is it something that can produce/give an income??! : ))  Sorry for your somewhat nasty anniversary.

Yeh, lovely Charys. I got your message and I thank you for it. You are far too flattering to me and I DO truely appreciate what you say. No, I've never thought of writing for magazines.

I lost the very last member of my family 2 weeks ago. Chloe, my cat. Had her from 6 months, for 21 years. She had a stroke, her back legs suddenly became paralysed. Had to have her put to sleep. It was the most effin awful experience I've ever had to go through.  experienceI stayed with her through the whole procedure, to her last breath. And d'ya know what? She PURRED right up to her last breath. My own BC can basically go do a doodoo??. That cat had been through sooo much with me. I don't have a partner, children or any family left. She was the last

It goes without saying, that i know the importance of human life over animal.

I'm sending this NOW, because there's a "time out" issue message wise on this 'ere Forum

Loadsa love for now

Dellywellyding dong xxxx 

Community Champion

Are you having private treatment Janey? If not, we all need to know which hospital you are being treated by......lol that is really quick having your CT planning done on the same day, mega quick. 

More fluffy cake - and a savoury one for you Delly - come on out, its best warm from the oven! I hope you're doing something wonderful on the third this year Magic - there must be some magic in all those 3s?! My partner looked liked he had had his bits released from a vice when we heard today - now he has the joy of a more hormonal me to brighten his life!! Charys, not only am I a painted lady. I was given a sky blue gown to wear when I come in for treatment - and was told I can use any deodorant!! Xxx
Community Champion

Hmmm yeah, I too was wondering where she was......I've sent a PM message to her hole (that didnt sound right did it ?)

You know that cooking machine will be the most expensive thing you are EVER left in a room with on your own....period ! lol

Wonderful news, Janey,  No Chemo and high ER+/PR+ scores.

Does that mean we are going to celebrate with more Fluffy cake?  At this rate, I'll be able to stuff a cushion with all the handbag fluff retrieved from my teeth!

3 October for starting your Rads. Oh the joys of being cooked by a huge Linux Accelerator!

That date has been forever etched in my mind as it's the date I was diagnosed with BC. It will be my third anniversary this year, my annual mammogram is next week. More joys of your boobs being crushed to resemble pancakes.

Often wonder how men would deal with having their sensitive parts crushed to an inch of their life. Man flu would be nothing compared to that experience.😱😱😱

Where's Delly?  We need to go and rescue her out of that black hole.  Grab the ladder girls.

M x

I just hit the threshold for Oncotype. My surgeon was suggesting chemo and oncologist not, so the test helped!! When I run out of positivity, I'm coming straight back here - will bring enough cake!! Xx
Community Champion

Good news Janey! (well, you know as good as it could be lol) Gosh I didn't realise you had oncotype done as well, did you request that? You've even had your rad tattoos done today as well?? No messing around at the hospital you are attending...ey! I'm glad you are feeling relief, and that positive mindset will stand you in great stead in the coming weeks. xx

Well. Jack's cow has swerved chemo! Hugely relieved and can't believe pleasure at being cooked for a month instead. Packet of Anastrozole put into my sweaty palm and a start date of 3 October for rads; 3 weeks plus one week of boosters, not sure why they don't just say 4 weeks! I now have my tattoos but can't really see them. You should all take up writing - I reckon you were all pretty magical yesterday. My Er and Pr high, so I hope that article was right. My Oncotype score was 17. Xx
Community Champion

Ok sisters, I need to ask what was IN that cake, because reading this I'm wondering what Janey has created? It was so funny to come back this morning and read the recent posts. Right Ho, now Delly, to my mind you are a comic genius.....it's the way you write not just the ideas you come up with....you have an incredibly unique style with the written word, which is not like one I've see before. Even when your ideas aren't funny , and are serious, your style is so honest and heartfelt. Trust me, I was a teacher. Have you considered writing articles for some magazines? You are skillful with the written word, and use it in such a different way to most people. 

Janey, I figured you might have a bad night, you know how it is the exhaustion will catch up with you and one night you will just sleep flat out. It was the lack of sleep that got to me during those first few months, infact I got a script for lorazepam and used to just take a half of a 1 mg tablet to get to sleep and stop my brain whirring. I so feel for you today, it makes my stomach churn to even remember going back for my results. 

MM I can't believe you bought that skanky fluffy cake off Miss.Delly, AND ate it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh no we won't ... that floss is behind you ... nope, I shall have to gen up on panto. Although with dreadful lack of sleep last night I do look like the back end of a panto horse or Jack's knack**** old cow!! Xxx

Magic - have just read the info link you gave us.

Mmmmm - coffee cake for thought (as oppo to "food for" - come on, do please join in panto wise girlies!).

Seriously tho', interesting. Has made me feel I need to regen up on my hormone knowledge from A level Human Biology days. But basically Progesterone, with regards to the female reproductive cycle, has the opposite effects to oestrogen. . . .  naa will have to do that genning up on.

See you all soon

xxx

Ha Magic, 

I failed to mention that I was a dentist (not). My handbag fluff is a sure bet to gain extra business, cos of it's extra stickability.

Where on earth did I come up with "handbag fluff" ??!! I'm either a total numpty, or an absolute genius. It's the kind of thing that our beloved late Victoria Wood would have talked about!! What a major loss to the comedy world. But . .  'I' am truely wasted on here. don't you think Magic?? xxxx

Mmmmmmmm....that cake was lurrrrvely.

Have any of you girls got any dental floss? I need to get the handbag fluff from Delly's handbag out from between my teeth!

M x

Capische! Xxx

Hey no - Thank You all from li'l me.

I'm in a horrible black hole at the mo' and it's been such a pleasure to share and enjoy a bit of light banter. Sooo see sweet Janey and et al, you've all helped bring a smile to JellyDelly too.

Just let us know how you do tomorrow - or else i'll come and throw a custard cream pie in your face - Capische woman?

Loadsa xxx's 

Delly you may have some jelly - spiced damson to go with your savoury virtual cake - I can't sit still for preserving things! Thank you you lovely people for helping preserve my sanity today and making me smile!! Xx

See!! Told you that Charys was cheeky xxx

I'm going to have to check my PR again. Magic, there was definitely a slice for you. xx

Whoops - I was so guilty at leaving Magic out of the coffee cake share, I got all disconbobulated and sent an empty reply!! Bit like my head.

Good job Janey and Charys were on the ball and cut it into 4, not my greedy 3 - sorry Magic. And I initially thought you were avin a larrrff mentioning Progesterone, as Charys pointed out that she just threw it into the thread to see what confusion she could cause - mischievous imp. I haven't yet checked into the link but shall do after this. Was more worried about you not getting cake. Actually, I'm not a cake or sweet toothed person, am a savoury gal, so I'd have given you mine anyway. In fact, I've still got it in my handbag. Well, I didn't wish to appear ungracious did I, when Janey had gone to the trouble. What on earth she meant by "healthy option" I don't know, but looking at mine now, it's got a few hairs and bottom of handbag fluff stuck to it, so not so healthy. But I can waft and pick it all off and put it up for auction between the three of youhoos. Its gotta be worth a starting offer of 30p. Any bids??? The handbag fluff by the way goes back a few years so is now a valuable asset.

Charys - thanks for the pm. Am not ignoring it.

Janey - again hope your appointment goes well tomorrow

Nite Nite for now girlies

DoolallyDelly xxxx

Community Champion

Delly is speechless......not often that happens lol

Community Champion

Fascinating article, really interesting! It's always good to hear of the ongoing research, it gives hope doesn't it, no matter what type of cancer. My ER and PR scores are identical to yours incidentally....I didn't even know what they were until tonight when I went in search of my original biopsy report. I didn't understand it much at the time, but it makes so much more sense now months down the line. That report was a year ago, wonder if it's gone any further ?

Highlighted

Hi ladies,

I've just popped in to have a piece of coffee cake if there is any left. Yummy! πŸ’•
I thought I'd share a link about some interesting scientific research about the Progesterone receptor. I found it yesterday when I was Googling to find some info on Progesterone for Charys.
http://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk.org/2015/07/08/solving-a-breast-cancer-mystery-why-do-double-pos...
It is very early days as the current findings are based on lab tests/mice but the scientists are hoping to carry out more studies and clinical trials to see if their findings would be applicable in humans.
I'm always on the look out for information to uplift my spirits and one particular paragraph gave me immense comfort as my BC was ER+8/8 and PR+7/8. I hope ladies, your ER+/PR+ levels were high too so we can all feel the same sprinkling of positivity.

"Doctors have known for a long time that women with high levels of both the oestrogen and progesterone receptors (β€˜double-positive’) have the best chance of surviving – they respond better to treatment, and their cancer is less likely to spread."

Every cloud.............
Hugs to everyone.
M x

PS Good luck getting your results Janey. You deserve some good news.

I hope you enjoyed the healthy coffee cake option!. A good sponge but could have done with an extra shot of expresso - although it will help with reducing hot flush later! I enjoy coffee time on here! Xx

Cafetiere's brewing. Why , just slice the cake into three. What d'ya mean how do we share it??!! Ha. I often wish some of the people I chat with on this Forum just lived down the road.

xxx

Community Champion

.....Did you? Love coffee cake! BUT BUT BUT, how shall we share it???

I know you just eat a piece for each of us! Proxy cake eating.

Well I made coffee cake earlier!!! Xx
Community Champion

Lynch Syndrome, don't know that one, off to check now......

Well, you are a good statistic Janey, you survived the first cancer, and will the second !!!!!

You know, I so wish we could just all have coffee and cake together Smiley Wink

It would be nice to be a good statistic once. However, whilst not BRCA there is talk of looking at Lynch Syndrome. We seem to have lots of women in family that grow things and would be good to know for my daughter. The internet will crash checking out progesterone! Xx

Yeh, but no, but sherbert Charys,

I DON'T know how Progesterone figures in BC. You got me asking myself the question.

xxx

Community Champion

You know Janey, what a total mockery your BC is making of all statistics Smiley Sad, as you say ovaries removed and so on.......great stuff ey. Distraction cleaning is great stuff, because it means that after tomorrow if you don't feel like tidying and cleaning it will all be done and dusted, literally! What time is your appointment ?? 

Thanks Delly. House has never been so clean as today with distraction polishing! I think I got lucky in many ways last time. Total hysterectomy was the only treatment. Ovaries taken to minimise risk of BC - hmm that worked! I was on the point of begging GP for HRT when I was diagnosed with BC to minimise menopause symptoms - I decided the risk was worth it but guess it's definitely out now! A colleague has just popped in to see me. She's recently completed nurse prescribing course, so I've sent her off to research!! Xx
Community Champion

Ha ha , it was featured because I was wittering about messed up hormones and wondering what effect having more progesterone would have whilst I still had some oestrogen blockage. Basically I was asking tricky questions and then wondering why nobody knew an answer?? LOLOL I know its a fine balance of Progesterone and oestrogen to ensure stability.

Hi again

Magic, as I understand it, Tamoxifen prevents the uptake of oestrogen by any cell, not just oestrogen +ve breast cancer cells. And is therefore why pre menopausal women as thrown into an early menopause. Some women who are strongly +ve also have to have their ovaries removed because they also produce a certain amount of oestrogen.

I don't know much about how Progesterone figures in all of this and can't remember why it was featured in this thread in the first place.

Evening Primrose is often recommended for female hormone imbalances, be they PMT or Menopausal.

Janey, forgive me, I'm not ignoring you. I hope you're appointment tomorrow goes well and you have all your questions answered. Don't forget to ask about your joint probs.Glad you feel better from retaking the Glusosamine.

Lotsa love Delly xxx 

Community Champion

Magical Moon, you are such a wise woman, everything you say makes sense......whenever I read your replies on this forum they always make me feel calm ( and I'm talking any replies here , not just just these ones to me). Things you say are so meaningful, and you've pinpointed exactly how I feel right now. I wish You felt no pain, but I guess all we can do is support each other at these low times to get through the sh*t stuff. Thanks for caring x

hey Delly, you bundle of infectious energy and unique Dellyness, I will reply further to your PM later. I wasn't even perimenopausal before taking it......BUT......I am wondering if I certainly am now...and it's set off my hormones down the peri/ menopause route. 

Community Champion

My husband swears by glucosamine.....he's taken it for about 15 years now everyday....but he just has 'rickety' joints, nothing bad pain wise lol. I hope it's on your 'can take' list Janey. Soooo you kind of are an old hand, having been through it once before in a different way......it make me freaking mad that some people are so unlucky. What's the point about being angry though, that's a negative emotion which saps energy  and doesn't help with constructively moving forward. I just feel upset for everybody...it's not enough just to feel upset for me....now I've got to move it to everybody LOLOLOL 

Just a thought and I know I'm not yet on the tablets. However, I've had dreadful joint pains since menopause started. Post BC surgeries I had no pain due to all the painkillers, but it was excruciating when I started to wean myself off. I was convinced I had bony mets missed from my previous cancer. However, i suddenly realised I had stopped taking any supplements on diagnosis, including glucosamine and evening primrose. I've not restarted the latter (strongest dose and did seem to help with mood) but I am back on glucosamine. I'm not sure it's psychological but it's made such a huge difference - still achy when I get up but my mobility is vastly improved during the day. I should say I have no idea if I am allowed to take it, but both supplements are on the can I list of questions for tomorrow when I see the oncologist, so will let you know. Xx

Thanks Delly,

I was going to use similar language myself but thought I'd get banned from the Forum.

Yes, I do take Omega 3, 6 and 9 and my GP has prescribed me with Amitriptyline for neuropathic pain because I'm allergic to all the usual strong painkillers and anti-inflammatories. Amitriptyline has helped to reduce my chronic joint pain from very severe to a medium level of pain but, unfortunately, it does not help at all when I first get up in the morning.

If you saw me walking first thing in the morning, you'd think I was walking on a carpet made of six inch spikes. Not a healthy look.

Wondering whether to try acupuncture before I give in and buy a walking stick to use in my bedroom. 😒

M x

Awwwww, Magic 

Forgive my language, but this disease really is a B#GG#R.You make me feel soooo thankful. It saddens me so much that you're struggling so much with your joints :-(( Is there nothing to help, have you tried such as the Omega oils/Evening Primrose Oils.

Delly xxx

Ooops, so sorry Charys,

There isn't a 'Not interested Oncologists' thread. It's my fault for the misunderstanding, the way I worded my sentence was misleading. I'd responded to a lady's post and made reference to my experience of oncologists being only interested in you taking the hormone therapy and not about the side effects. Or words to that effect.

I agree with you. There does seem to be a GAP for helping and supporting ladies who experience significant side effects from BC treatment. This Forum really helps to fill the gap and I don't know what I would have done without it. There are a lot of ladies like you, Delly and Janey who have had tough times to deal with yet can still offer support to others.

At the start of my hormone treatment, I felt guilty about complaining about my extremely painful joints. It was as though I was being ungrateful for having life-saving drugs. Why was I complaining about suffering side effects? I was still alive. It's strange how your mind plays tricks with you when your physical defences are down. Every morning I wake up and can hardly walk when I first get out of bed. All my joints have seized up and the pain in my ankles is excruciating taking those first steps. After being an active person, it has been hard to accept that this is as good as it gets. For me, it's a Catch 22. Without oestrogen, my body can't function normally but with oestrogen I'd be gambling with a devious disease.

I'm an exhausted BC survivor when I really wanted to be an energised BC survivor. It makes me sad some days.

M x

Hi again Charys

Well , you stuck it longer than me. I took it for 2. Another thought, as I've noted your still pre menopausal, is that we are all so different in our hormone levels. Some have higher oestrogen levels than others. I was a very high oestrogen receptive cancer, which didn't surprise me as I'd always suffered really bad PMT.

I'm also wondering whether you are actually going through the menopause?!! Which could account for some of your emotional swings also. How old are you now? And are you saying you have IBS - please remind me what that stands for?

Hey - I'm so sorry this is getting to you in the way it is. But also,Charys, I'm here with you to give you whatever, if anything I can. Just keep talking to us - me, will you

Much love

Delly xxxx 

Well I definitely feel like an old bird and old hand having been hit once by an oestrogen fed monster! Darn you've rumbled my control freakery!! Alongside the years before trying to get my hormones to play ball! It's been such a long wait to get a treatment plan, almost 3 months now. Getting twitchy now for Weds and a final decision. This is such a great site and nothing like it for endometrial cancer sadly. Will definitely be in touch Weds. Xx
Community Champion

Delly it was 6 weeks I took it for, and I've been stopped for 5 weeks now. 

Community Champion

Oh Janey, I didn't realise you were so early In your diagnosis, you have the 'old hand' feel about you lol that isn't meant to be rude lol, it was a compliment about your 'in control' attitudes, as if you are years out of treatment. I promise I will listen to you when and if you have complaints about your meds. Not that I wish side effects on you of course ...I hope you have not one !!!!! Janey, on weds come and say how you are getting and your treatment plan, won't you ?

Delly, you know what, after 48 hours I could feel a change in my mental state.....5 days and the major depression was gone...but this is why I think now all my hormones are sc***ed as my period is up the spout and PMT feelings all the time and Into my 10 th npmajor IBS week. I guess I just need to give it a bit longer, get a grip and stop moaning actually. Yes, I should stop moaning a bit and get on with things and just be patient. I've got some TEVA brand here, and will have another try at it once I feel 'normal'. I'm usually so strong and positive, and laughing all the time, but this stuff has really got to me. 

Hi Janey

Anastrazole is a different drug so don't be frightened by our talk of Tamoxifen

xxx

Hey again Charys - how long ago did you take Tamoxifen?? And are you doing okay now?? Let me know flower.

Dellywelly xxx 

Charys - I felt instantly better literally within two days of stopping, and was then why I told my Onc team I'd prefer not to carry on with it. But, other people did say they had different experiences/side effects dependent on the manufacturer, and had to find which one they were ok with and stick with it. The decision not to take was a very personal one for me and I was prepared to suffer the consequences of not taking it, because my mental state with was seriously DIRE with it. I don't like tablets full stop.

I have known and heard of many women who didn't suffer ANY side effects from Tamoxifen throughout 5, 10 years of taking it. But . . .it isn't the same for all

Dellywelly xxx

I was busy typing when you posted yours Charys - an extra hug for luck xx

I'm living in hope the Anastrazole when I finally get it can't make my symptoms worse. I can fully understand why both of you have stopped. I was lucky also to have a consultant friend who advised on who to go with for surgery. The surgeon (brilliant) implied I should throw everything (including chemo) at treatment. The oncologist was less chemo minded. Like you Charys I appear to be on the borderline. Back in this Weds to hear Oncotype results and make decisions. Big hugs to all xx
Community Champion

Thank you Janey, MagicalM and Delly....you are all so caring and it has cheered me right up to see your typed words. There are many truly wonderful people on this forum, and at the risk of becoming maudling and overly emotional (not a good idea to tempt things in my present teary state) , it is such a comfort to know this virtual world exists. 

Community Champion

Hey lovely Delly,

Yes, the depression was all encompassing, it was like my head was just telling me to not 'be here', there was nothing worth living for. I know that sounds dreadfully dramatic, but it felt like a psychosis, and I don't want to scare anybody (it is RARE and it stops once you stop taking the tamoxifen!) I've never experienced feeling so physically ill and mentally ill....it was like 'me' had just gone, disappeared and been replaced with a 90 year old ill woman with so many health problems that no life quality remained. I can't describe it very well, and I don't want to go into all the side effects as I've listed them here before about a month ago (and almost feel guilty about doing so, incase others read it who are just starting) but it was absolute hell. So, Delly, how long would you say it took to stabilise after stopping ?

You KNow Magical, I was talking to someone about this the other day. I am so grateful that there is treatment, dont get me wrong, there are clever medical people who want to keep me well.....but its like you reach the end of the conveyor belt, get given the prescription and chucked off the end. There must be many oncologists who are more holistic in their approach, but I guess in the main they are about 'curing' cancer and the body. The hard bit of this whole cancer thing for me has been the very time when I feel there is nobody medical to help, taking the tamoxifen. I just find it strange that everybody knows women really struggle with these long term hormonal treatments and maybe there is little that they can do to really help with side effects, but there seems to be a massive GAP in support after active treatment from oncology. Well, ok, there is where I am right now!