Re: Brands of Letrozole

Wow! So many brands. I started looking at brands when I had a bad couple of weeks with intolerable side effects of aches and pains. I noticed my packet was different shape to what I have used, switched to similar shape to one before and symptoms returned to normal aches and pains within a day or so. Now I don’t know what my original brand was, I'm going to contact my pharmacy. I know the bad one was Cipla and the better one I’m on now is Accord. I also have Crescent and Glenmark, although from the insert I can see they are the same drug from the same manufacturer (Pharmadox, Malta). Hair…my hair is the thickest I've ever had, with the chemo curl, I look like a clown. Even if I straighten it out it’s still REALLY thick. OH calls me his poodle. Pre cancer, I used to get a handful of hair out each day, now nothing.
Sandoz (the cheaper version of Femara ,the original drug), apparently this is being discontinued.
Incidentally, I also have Zoladronic Acid bone strengthener because Letrozole can bring on osteoporosis.

Community Champion

Hiya Maggie
Yes I looked online and saw that sandoz was a good guy before I took it ..it's a lot more expensive so I'm going to keep going with it now !
Hair thinning is a real downer though....I only wash mine weekly, don't colour it or use straighteners but still moult more than the dog !
BUT ..I'm a secondary lady and letrozole has kept my mets under control for over 2 years now so am loving this little pill ..
Hugs xxx

Hi Carolyn, Sandoz is made by Novartis, the manufacturer of the original Femara so is generally thought to be the most similar (maybe even identical to) Femara, so one of the 'good guys'. But as you say, we're all different and get used to specific brands.

Best wishes,

Maggie

[ Edited ]

My biggest complaint would be my hair thinking I can deal with some aches , and I cry sometimes out of no where , but not real often , I just started getting a little moody ,anchshis lately . But my hair thinning is really bad . I have been on Letrozole , brand Teva for about 6-7 months and my hair thinning has not stopped I loose a bout a plate full when I wash it . I only wash it once a week now , my hair is wast length and I think I will need to cut it . But have lost more then half my thickness. Should I try a different brand ...?.. I can tolerate everything else but I’m vein and don’t want to loose my hair but if it is the least of two evils then that’s the way it will have to be my first check up is in March stage two no chemo .

Community Champion

Phew ..within an hour of taking Sandoz. .got tingly tongue , sweaty and light headed. .it's passing now ..hope it's a one off of change of brand.
Suppose I've adapted to Accord after so long .
Xx
Community Champion

For over 2 years I have had Accord brand ( had bad effects with cipra ) just collected my pills now and noticed i have Sandoz ....anyone had problems with this one or is it one of the good guys !

This thread is really useful. I went for my follow up appointment, post masectomy, reconstruction and other breast reduction and was told that I will probably need to go on letrozole. However, as they found to very small areas of invasive cancer, I have to return in 2weeks for more results and the way forward. I had no idea there are different brands of the drug. Reading this thread is very informative. Thank you everyone. All the best to you all xx

Started taking Letrozole yesterday, having seen the Oncologist and no chemo or radiotherapy needed.
I’m hoping the side effects are manageable, felt a bit nauseous today but could be unrelated, it’s hard not to put every ache pain and symptoms down to the cancer or the treatment. I’m going to see how I go and try and deal with each niggle, advice on here certainly helps, apart from just being reassured it’s not just ‘you’ xx

I picked up my prescription yesterday, and noticed it was Glenmark too - a new one on me.  I have had a variety of brands over 4 years and can't say I have noticed much difference with side effects - mainly stiff joints and insomnia.

I have been on Letrozole brand Sandos for 5 months, this time I have been given brand name Glenmark never heard of this brand worried to take it.wonder if it is a cheap brand. 

Community Champion

I had to go to 4 pharmacists until I found one that would order same brand for me each time .May be worth doing a bit of research to find a pharmacist who is prepared to put themselves out a little bit .Boots pharmacists get rated by customers so they are usually quite keen to help if they can .

Just been given a pack of sandoz, after having 2 cipla,  think i felt better on cipla, seem to be struggling with insomnia

Debbie x

Community Champion

Hi

I'm on Accord brand and get it from Superdrug without any problem.

Sue xx

Have just had my latest prescription for letrozole. One pack each of accord, Cipla and Sandoz! Feel as though I have done best on Accord. Trying to find out how to get this even if I have to pay. Any suggestions as to how I go about this? My local Boots pharmacist says that they are having great difficulty getting letrozole to prescribe.

Hi All,

i startered taking Letrizole in September 16. Started on Acord which although made me weapy for no reason spent a whole day crying for no reason, partner said I was a bit weird for a few days...but was ok, my chemist changed the brand (not requested by me) to Dr Reddy's  (the name makes me chuckle) and found this one even better.

Jill1998 wish you luck and hope you find the right brand for you. 🤓

Community Champion

Thanks ladies ,I will speak to pharmacist about trying Actavis or Accord to begin with and see how I go ,I read that Sandoz is expensive and most won't order it.He was very helpful with the Tamoxifen so hoping he will be this time round too.

Evening Jill 1998

Tamoxifen i could just about tolerate TEVA, some of the others i struggled with my joints and sweats were really bad, up so much of the night.  So when i changed to Letrazole after 2 yrs i asked for TEVA... I hobbled around in the morning and had to start taking Naproxen for the pain.  I have since tried most brands and Sandoz i can manage but the best for me is Actavis, some side effects but tolerable.

Just like with the Tamoxifen i had to try different ones.  Take Care Butterfly x

Community Champion

Hi

I'm also on Accord and the side effects are manageable x

Community Champion

Hiya Jill
They say the best brand nearest femera is sandoz. ..I have " accord" and find it very tolerable and now ask for it every month.
Some brands are horrid so it's a case of try it and see !
All the best
Hugs xxx
Community Champion

Brands of Letrozole

Hi ladies ,looks like I will be changing from Tamoxifen to Letrozole in next few weeks.I found I was brand sensitive with Tamoxifen and managed to get my pharmacist to order Teva brand each time .Any thoughts on which brand of Letrozole may have the least side effects I am particularly worried about the joint issues as I have an active young dog.