Highlighted

Re: Anastrozole side-effects

[ Edited ]

Tinkabell I wish I would have started of slow.. !!!!

I have been taking Anastrozole for about 2 months...Having hot flashes and I feel horrible mentally ,fuzzy headed ,thinking all over the place and feeling depressed and  mood swings......this was not me a month ago...I am praying it will ease up...Going to try L-theanine cause someone said could  help with mood swings and depression..this is awful...went through finding out I had cancer and having double mastectomy with a pretty good mental outlook on things and kept the faith...now after starting this med I  feel horrible...

[ Edited ]

Hello Ladies 

All your posts have been very helpful and informative.

After having two lumpectomy ops. I have been taking anastrozole for five months. 

Hours of research revealed it is a very powerful drug and very effective at blocking estrogen production.  Also that if a dose is missed, there is sufficient in your system from the day before. This is also stated in a booklet the hospital breast care nurse gave me.

The website said that estrogen should be controlled not squashed and that 1mg  on Mon/Wed/Fri  would be sufficient.  

I started with 3 to 4 tabs. a week for one month, then tried 2 days with and 1 day without.  Now the side effects have stepped up, but surely this is confirmation that the drug is working properly. 

The doctors will simply prescribe 1 mg. a day to one and all, as it would be time consuming to say start slowly and build up the dose gradually. but  I thought it was worth a try.

My very best wishes to you all, your perseverance with the anasty (credits to Rubycat) is to be congratulated.  

Eve.

Hello Gloria,

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis, however it must be be somewhat reassuring to be told you are "very low risk".  I am on Anastrazole too and post menapausal. 

The "redness in your mouth with white dots" sounds like oral thrush which could arise for a number of reasons.  It could be the Anastrazole's effect on your oestrogen (as  for some women reduced oestrogen/the menapause can cause a very dry mouth with soreness and oral thrush being problematic).  Also a number of other medications and conditions  can cause mouth dryness and or thrush.  It may be best to talk to your doctor.  If it is oral thrush, they can prescribe, for example,  a swish and swallow remedy like Nystatin as well as assistance to manage a dry mouth.

If you are deemed very low risk as you state, it may be best to talk to the Oncologist who prescribed the Anastrazole or to your breast care nurse about the predicted percentage benefit for you.  When you say that your oestrogen is 100% and progesterone 80%, I am assuming that when tested, the  "microcalcifications" were found to be highly hormone positive.  Is being "very low risk" based on you taking anti hormone treatments like Anastrazole or were you deemed to be very low risk even if you don't take it.

I am surprised that your doctor has said about ovary removal if side effects of the Anastrazole  become problematic as you state you are 14 years post menapausal and it is not your ovaries producing significant oestrogen anymore.  My understanding is that  oestrogen in post menapausal women is produced from the effects of aromatase. Hence the use of Aromatase inhibitors like Anastrazole.  If you find the side effects of Anastrazole too much, then perhaps discuss it with Oncologist and try another aromatase inhibitor or maybe Tamoxifen.

In the end it is all about you weighing up the information, your quality of life and the risks and balancing this with the treatment and effects of your other conditions.  I really hope the Anastrazole does not cause an increase in your pain.  Hope the radiotherapy treatment goes well. 

Best wishes x

I was recently dx with breast cancer. All my tests an numbers show me to be a very low risk. The doc has put me on anastrozole for about 6 weeks now. Have redness in the mouth with white dots. sides of the tongue are tender. I a 65 and been in menopause for 14 years now. Estrogen is 100% and progesteren 80. I have fibromyalgia, gout, arthritis, and diabetic.

I did talk to the doctor about having ovaries removed in place of the anastrozole and he said that would be possible if the side effects became problematic.  I do not want to increase my pain levels as they are already at 7-8 on a daily basis.  I will be starting radiation on7-16 for 19 treatments. This cancer was picked up on my yearly mammogram. I did have 2 lympn nodes removed and they were negative as well.  Also no chemo recommended and their is no lump. they found microcalcifications that started to cluster.

Has anyone had the ovaries removed?

I have been on anastrozole for 8 years now

Hi, Ive been taking anastrozole for  a month now and ive been really unwell with it. Awful nausea and waking up in the night constantly needing a wee, also very stiff achy joints. Dr has now given me some anti nausea meds which seem  to be helping and my radiotherapy is almost over. 

I keep reminding myself how lucky I am as I didnt need chemo and the cancer has all been taken out of me, but I underestimated the effects these meds, and the Radioth, would have on me. I feel  like an old Crone!

Does anyone know when the nausea stops? Im off work because I felt so unwell and I dont want to take extra tabs (anti nausea) for ever more.?

Hi rubycat

Just a quick heads up on anastrazole to anyone suffering bone ache. I've been taking it now for  one year and almost immediately started with horrible bone ache. Sister has osteoporosis, so very fed up. As osteoporosis very much related to diet and weight bearing exercise I decided to go to the gym (hate this kind of stuff) and a personal trainer (GP's can do referrals) and within 2 months the aches have gone!

I'm feeling very good, so much stronger and more confident though of course we never actuallu know what is really going on insde BUT can thoroughly recommend. During this bad weather I've done much less exercise and consequently had the odd ache returning....but definitely worth giving it a try. I strongly recommend.

Rubycat:  Thanks for getting back to me.  I have not been prescribed AdcalD3. I'll ask my doctor next visit.  I am curious about having estrogen levels checked to find out at what level a woman my age (65) should be or does all estrogen have to be depleted.  Losing weight will help of course as estrogen is made in fat cells.  I worked in a health store for over ten years, so taking a medication with all these side effects is very disconcerting.  From what I am reading the benefits still outweigh not taking them. 

Good luck on your journey.  

Hello Liz, No I changed from the anastrozole to exemestane about 4 months ago and can't say I have found any difference at all. Still got all my joyful joint aches and pains!  Would say that on anastrozole I did find enormous differences with the various brands - I tried at least 4 I think. I found Accord the best of a bad bunch, but Teva was actually the worst. Eventually I persuaded my doc to put Accord only on the prescription as my chemist would not supply it (said it was too expensive). But we are all different and I think giving a manufacturer at least 3 months is a good idea.  I do seem to have a bookful of side effects,  but now at the grand age of 63 they might be that dreaded word - sshhh - ageing.  With the osteoporosis has your doc prescribed Adcal D3, calcium supplement, as I haven't found any s/e from that.  You are so right with being between a rock and a hard place - I've never been one for taking tablets of any sort, now I find I'm rattling.  I don't know of any studies, but can only say for myself, that I feel that the tabs must be having some sort of effect and I would feel too vulnerable not to be taking anything.  But it's all down to individual feelings, and the awful thing is that even taking these tablets doesn't guarantee not getting it again.  If you are new to this forum, I have found it a fantastic support.  Whatever query or problem you have, usually someone can help. (Although I haven't been able to answer your question  - let's hope someone else can!)

WIshing you a healthy New YEar as well.Cat Happyxxx

Hello Rubycat:  I am new to the forum, but wanted to inquire if you stayed on anastrozole. I am taking Accord anastrozole since Nov. 2017 and have not felt myself.  This could be our new normal after BC, but today I learned there is another manufacturer TEVA.  Also, right on the bottle it says you can experience dizzyness.  I have a weird headache and not keen on taking Advil every day.  Also dryness, sore throat and aches.  I am 65 and been post menopausal for ten years.  I am wondering how much estrogen (made in fat cells) can possible be left to stay on this medication for five years.  I will give it a good six month trial to see if symptoms subside. Dexa Scan says I have osteoporosis already, but after reading the side effects of more prescription medication I am trying the natural approach. I  will just lift weights, increase calcium and Vit D3.  I feel we are between a rock and a hard place forced to take medication to deplete estrogen.  I had a lumpectomy and 30 rounds of radiation.  My energy level is not back to speed.  I am curious if you know of any studies done on women who choose to not take anastrozole and the recurrence of cancer?  Thanks, I wish you a very healthy New Year.

Ooh thanks Jill, I didn't know that about the tamox - another good reason for me not choosing them! 

Poppy, I make up names to keep myself laughing too! It's so difficult this decision making, have to find a laugh in it somewhere. Cat Very Happyxxx

Community Champion

Poppy it's because research has shown they are marginally more helpful in stopping a re-occurrence than Tamoxifen when you have gone through the menopause .

Rubycat that made me laugh you calling them biofossywatsits. Why are they always names you can't remember. Hope you get on ok with them. I thought I would try Sunday, when I'm not rushing around what with having to sit straight and drink water and all that...not easy first thing in the morning. Jill thanks for telling me that. If everything is OK on tamoxifen why do they change you over?  Now I'm wondering do I stick it out for a few more weeks (it has only been 6 wks) or do I call the bc nurse and ask to change back. There is always something to think about!! Thank you lovely ladies..xx
Community Champion

Poppy you can take Tamoxifen post menopause -it is marginally less effective but you can take it if the other meds don't agree with you .

Hello Smiling Poppy Cat Very Happy I've been on anastrozole for 2 years - found the Accord brand the best of a bad bunch.  Just had my second DEXA scan, was osteopenic before but now got a lot worse, have osteoarthritis etc etc (all of which I blame anasty for!).   I took my first bisphosphonate on Monday!  I was recommended to change from the anasty to either tamoxifen or exemestane. I chose the exemessy as at 63 I'd gone through menopause. Although side effects for that also give bone pain! No good choices really.  Have now got my first packet exemessy and finding my big girl pants to take the first one!  Might stick with the anasty for a couple more weeks, whilst my body gets used to the bifossywhatsits first. I thought I'd go with whatever brand was supplied, give them a couple of months trial. Hope you get on ok. Cat Happyxxx

Community Champion

Ah I see, Poppy, well good luck with it all & hope the change of brand helps.
ann x

Hi Ann..unfortunately that's not an option for me.   I had my ovaries and tubes removed in March which brings on a surgical menopause hence the need to change my tablets. I feel the last 6 months it's been one thing after another. I really do try to stay positive and always wear a smile! I will give it a couple more weeks and try another brand. Thanks for your suggestion though. Xx
Community Champion

Hi Poppy,
Just a thought, is it worth asking if you can go back on tamoxifen, especially in view of the osteoporosis as tamoxifen is better for bone health.
I do have the option of going onto AIs, but prefer to remain on tamoxifen, which the oncologist agreed with.
ann x

Hi Optimissy Thanks for your quick reply. Teva is the one I am trying.  I went for this one as it was the brand I used on tamoxifen. I think I will see how I go and might give Accord a go as I know my pharmacy has that. You do have to make a request though. When I request my tablets I then have to call the pharmacy to tell them a request is on its way. They will then call manufacturer to get it. The pharmacy did tell me that they tend to stock what is cheaper at the time of ordering. I think we go through enough without having to fight for the brand we need...hope your call goes ok, it does seem harder to get appointment these days..xx