cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anastrozole, side effects do they get better

Re: Anastrozole, side effects do they get better

Thanks Carolyn,My mets are in my liver and have apparently responded well to chemo. The Denusomab is just in case !?,  I know it can cause joint pain.it's hard to know which medication is to blame or whether it's just wear and tear. A friend has said it could be carpal tunnel, I'll have to start keeping a pain diary so I can tell Dr.

Community Champion

Hello sparrow

Some over the joint pain could be denosumab as I have been having it 2 years ..I find 2 weeks after the jab , I get back ache and worst joint aches.
It's hard to know if it's the medication or the illness sometimes as I have secondary bone mets !
Xx

Thanks Grumpy Trout, Gosh my painful joints are nothing compared to your side effects.I know that when  I was on tamoxifen one brand seemed to have fewer side effects than others,I'm on the Teva ones already so that's good.(it's good having the days on as my memory's not what is was and I often have to double check that I've taken my tablet!) I had reflexology the other day and felt less achy afterwards,although that might be in my head.!

There doesn’t seem to be any logic to the variation we experience on different generic brands. I was given Teva by the hospital to start with and felt ‘fine’ i.e. side effects tolerable although the hot flushes pretty spectacular. My next pack from GP/Pharmacy was Accord which was a nightmare. I can do internal vaginal dryness but the whole external area was so bad I had to wear baggy trousers and walk bow legged. Within four days I found myself planning my suicide if I had a recurrence due to giving up taking AIs. The HR department are yet to recover from me asking whether suicide would invalidate my death in service benefit (no - in case you’re wondering). My GP rapidly put me back on Teva (which btw is the only version of AI I have had to have the days of the week printed on the foil on the back of the packet - so simple, so useful).

Hi all, I'm a newbie ! I was diagnosed with secondary breast ca in march after a cycle of 6 chemo's,I'm now on Anastrozole and Adcal-D3 which I've been on for 3 months .I also have a Denosumub injection once a month.The pain in my hands and feet is constant and nagging by day, but the pain in my hands wakes me at night.I'm 54 and my bone scans show that I have some arthritis.I was on Tamoxifen for 3 years and was achy to start with, but I was never in this much pain.Does it go away or get easier ,is there anything I can do to make it better? Dr says take paracetamol which does do much,I can't take ibuprofen.

I have been on anastrozole for 8 months and aged 80 years during that time  Very fit 73 year old. Now look and feel older than my late mum who died at 94.  Back ache dreadful and I use to run now every step is painful.  Also was on accord, brand which has been changed and I have a very upset tummy every day.  Had several accidents and wear pads of all things.  Going back to the doctors yet  again and again. Struggle with shock when I found out that the protocol had not been applied and was given the impression that it was my  breast or my life. Told that he could not save tthe nipple and doubted he could save the breast, could put me on tablets, but did not explain anything else, so it would be a mastectomy then or a mastectomy now.  Discovered that the tumour was half the size I had been told.  Found out the protocol was that I should have been on tablets to shrink the tumour which would have stopped the cancer from growing for four months before making a decision of lumpectomy or mastectomy.  This I was not told. I have now discovered that I should have had a lumpectomy.  Someone is certainly having a good laugh at that one,

Hello Kathy - never feel that you're alone, come on this site and you will find plenty of support and friendship. Your post could have been me talking - it's now more than 2 years since I started anastrozole & have had lots of bone probs. Had MRI & isotope bone scans - 'just' osteoarthritis - never had that before! Also my osteopenia has worsened, even though I had been taking adcal d3, so also now on alendronic acid.  BUT, one thing that has helped me, like a miracle, is that Dr prescribed amitriptyline, as I couldn't get to sleep/woken up with pain & constant pain during day.  I take 20mg at night and get a good nights sleep, but better than that, I don't seem to have any more back/hip pain during the day. I am rather crab like going downstairs in the morning, & have to use 2 hands to hold my cup of tea, but this soon goes. The ami is a nerve pain blocker - in bigger doses is used as an antidepressant.  I am also doing bone strengthening exercises.  Also changed recently from anas to exemestane - but that still affects the bones, but perhaps not as much.  Did feel that anything to stop the debilitating pain was worth trying & so glad I did.  Perhaps have a word with your Doc. Do hope you get some relief. Cat Happyxxx

I’m almost in tears reading your post because it’s exactly my story and I have felt so alone.  I started anastrazole six months ago and at this point I hobble and hurt like someone twice my age. The weakness and stiffness in my hands and feet whenever I sit for any length of time, the difficulty getting up from a kneel/squat position, the increasing pain in low back and hip joints...  I think I could handle anything to reduce return of breast ca but I feel I’m trading quality of life and another four years of this - I just don’t know if I can handle it. 

The back pain is enough that I was worried about bone Mets but doc xrayed and said no, just arthritic changes since scans two years ago.  Just?  He said it’s unusual for someone to have this change but it doesn’t look like ca so try pt.  I feel like a stiff and weak hampster on a wheel.

Thank you for this post this morning.

Hi GrumpyTrout!.. (Im sure you're not!)
Thanks for that advice.
I 've only left it off one night and feel a lot less anxious already.. .although further anxiety will prob come from me knowing that Anastrazole are supposed to be slightly more effective than tamoxifen!

I started Anastrozole 5 weeks ago after problems with Letrozole and the foot and hand joint pain seemed about the same. However I have added (prescription from Oncology) 12 week mega dose of Vitamin D to deal with low levels and other issues and am surprised to find my hands at least are suddenly almost pain free. Reading around the subject there is a PubMed article calling for more research into high dose Vitamin D to ease muscle pain caused by aromatase inhibitors. Sadly you can’t just self dose because of potential side effects around build up of calcium and heart attacks.

Rachy65 - each of the generics have their own pattern of side effects. You have to keep a diary of which causes what and then go into battle over avoiding the worst brands for you. Keep a list of the different ingredients to see if there’s a pattern- I found with Letrozole that the brand containing Tartrazine absolutely did my head in!

Hi Joolsey
It's not joint pain that bothers me ...its the low low mood it puts me in...plus mega anxiety!..i was thinking of changing to Tamoxifen
Highlighted

Hi Lena had the same problem with different brands spoke to GP who put the brand TEVA which I prefer next to the Anastrazole on prescription and the chemist now gets them for me hope that helps good luck xx

Hi lovelies, have not commented on here before and I actually can't believe I am reading this thread and feeling almost relieved.  Not happy to hear that so many are suffering but that it is not just me who is going through this.  I have been on Anastrozole for 2.5 years, I tried Tamoxifen and Exemestane too but could not get on with them.  For the first couple of years the joint pain was bad but bearable, the past six months it has become unbearable.  My joints seize up when i sit for too long and in the morning.  I can barely hobble down stairs when I get up and my fingers and toes are excrutiating, it's like I have set.  My knees and hips are bad and I have now started to get achilles tendonitis in both heels.  My wrists are agony and I am spending each day applying Ibuprofen gel to get through.  I am 51 and I feel like I have aged 20 years in the past two.  I want to exercise, walk and hulahoop and I am in too much pain I feel like it is a vicious circle.  I feel knackered, tired and in constant pain.  When I sit down for too long, or kneel down to play with the kitties I can barely get up again.  Have spoken to my GP and he is arranging for a blood test and xray to see if I have rheumatoid arthritis but if not, and it is the anastrozole I am not sure I can stick it for the full 5 years. I am on zoladex to keep me in chemical menopause but I am beginning to wonder if I will ever feel fit and healthy again. You hope when you have gotten over the surgery and settled into the medication that you can restore some sort of normality in your life but this feels like it is getting worse not better :-( x Jools xx 

Hi all who have responded to me!

Thanks so much for your replies, I must say I am rather relieved to know it is not just me with these ridiculous aches and pains!  But I so wish there werent so many of us.

We just came back from a week in Dorset, and walking up hills my legs suffered terribly with pain (day after) - felt as if I had been kicked in front of legs - whereas we did the same last year and I didnt suffer any pains!  I just wonder if the longer one takes Anastozole the more affect it has on the reduction of oestrogen?  My partner says I should ring the breast clinic, or the Oncologist at the hospital where I went for radiotherapy. It will be interesting to see what advice is given. It is a hindrance and not a nice one having aches and pains.Some days are better than others though, which is a bit of a mystery.

I am on these meds for 5 years (three more to go) but was told at the onset it may be increased to 10 years. A friend who had bc three years before me was on Tamoxofin - 5 years on and could do another 5 years, but she decided not to continue.  Her symptoms mainly extreme tiredness.

Thank you again to all you lovely ladies who answer these posts.

I'm taking heart from all your experiences so far and the fact that it's a bit of lottery for what meds suit us.  I started Exemestane in early June and have gone from a very fit and agile 51 year old, to being quite debilitated with joint and muscle pain, particularly shoulders, hands, hips and knees. After tolerating surgery, chemo and radio fairly well, I was taking 5 exercise classes a week and swimming, but now am far less able.  The Oncologist suggested a switch to Anastrozole and it's been a week so far with no change in symptoms.  I am taking 900mg of painkillers 3 times a day to manage the pain which I hope will subside in time and am seeing the GP tomorrow to ask for something stronger and some physio to help get moving.  I was talking to a lady last week who has been on Anastrozole for 13 years with no side effects at all.  So, although I'd like not to be taking any meds, as I'm sure we all would, I'll grin and bear it as for now as I find the thought of not taking it is more scary.  It's good to be able to share information and experiences on this site.  Wishing you all the best for your recovery.

Suffering too at the moment on anastrozole..it comes and goes but aches seem pretty bad now, maybe the colder weather and a change in footwear..can't wear my comfy pumps in the rain! Mainly knees feet and ankles with me and a pain in my hip and down my skin for some reason that keeps me awake at night.I can have energy and be working away and then fatigue just hits.Difficulty getting up and down from bending- I'm a cleaner- and it does make me a bit fed up.Still mourning my dad and crying most days so a bit low with everything.

Hi. I've been on Anastrozole for two years. Accord brand. I hobble on rising each morning but I'm ok after about 5 mins. I walk the dog 2 miles each day and feel fine. I've now got a bit of a tummy..it was flat when diagnosed and I don't eat any more! Unfortunately, it was explained that a lack of oestrogen is to blame somewhat for aches, middle aged spread, dry skin and tiredness. My Oncologist at the time said 'you can choose aching muscles/bones tablet (anastrozole) or weight gain tablet' (tamoxifen). I chose her first suggestion. I think we all have different experiences so it is very difficult to know what to recommend. I feel really sorry for the ladies suffering awful side effects. I guess I'm just lucky...for the moment. X

Hi Lena

Your side effects sound terrible, I really hope you get them sorted soon. I think you're right that we are Guinea pigs in a way, trouble is we're so scared of not doing what we're told because of the potential consequences. X

Hello Slyolddog

I have been taking Anastrozole for 9 months now and the pains in my knees make it nearly impossible to walk.

I am more or less housebound now  apart from being dropped at the supermarket door and leaning on the trolley to get round the store.  I reported this to the oncologist a couple of weeks ago and he has changed my tablets to exemestane.  Only problem is that they are steroidal.  Have just taken two so far and I can actually walk through to the kitchen without hobbling now so will continue with these to see how it goes.  

When I asked the chemist not to change the brand of of Anastrozole when they gave me two different kinds, she said they had to take what they got!!!  So will see what the exemestane will do.  

I feel sorry for all the ladies who are suffering, I sometimes think we are guinea-pigs.  Chin up and I hope you feel better soon.

Lena x

I've asked my doctor to put a note on my prescriptions asking the chemist not to give me the Teva brand. This one seems to not only give me joint ache with cramps in lower legs/feet but also make me very moody.
I've been taking anastrozole for nearly 3 years and can't wait to come off it. I also have mornings when my ankles are painful, but again this is worse in the Teva brand.

I can't speak for anyone else but as I'm 56 some of these issues could just be age related, although I didn't have them 3 years ago.

Hope this helps.

Hi, I have been taking Anastrozole for just over two years, but find the past three or four months suffering with a lot more muscle and bone ache, mainly in legs and ankles. When I get out of bed I find it hard to walk down the stairs as my ankles feel seized up.  After about 20 minutes of generally moving around the ankles are better, but it is the muscle ache that is more the nuisance!  Also my finger joints on waking up do hurt a bit, but again after moving them for a while it eases off.

Really, my question is, is this normal for someone having been on Anastrozole for so long?

I take 25ug of vitamin D per day, and have done so for several months.

Feedback very welcome!

Hi i have been on zoledex and letrozole 9 weeks, im 53, i did suffer joint pain in the beginning, but started taking magnesium as i read this helped, i have since stopped taking magnesium leading up to my op, so far the odd niggle but its very doable for me, i do think if i excercise quite alot i feel ok, if i have a lazy day i can expect abit of joint psin when i get up. I would definatley say give it a go, i was scared to tske it, and i dread the zoledex injection every month, but it kind of ways out the worry i would have if i wasnt taking the treatment, goodluck

Debbie x

Hi

Optimissy is right.  It's always good to remember we don't always hear here about those who are managing medication without issues.  It's also good to remember there are alternatives, if you don't get on with treatment.  I can't remember if I've said on this thread I found a lump at about the same time I was swapping medication.  Luckily it was nothing to worry about but it made me realise I will keep taking the tablets, in the hope they work their magic and keep me well.

As an aside, I'm over 3 months into Exmestane now, with no joint pain, no insomnia, flushes back to what they were pre treatment (i.e. one or two a day - more if a heavy work day!) and a more even mood.

Wishing you all well x

Hello

I've been on Anastrazol since Jan and now with Zolodex into the mix too.

Yes, I do have problems with very stiff painful joints however, I feel so much better in 'myself' and actually feel like me again.  The 2 years I was taking Tamoxifen I always had a low level headache and my mood was quite low (looking back I think I may even have been a bit depressed).  I also couldn't stay up past 9pm at the latest as I'd get so tired!  Plus I had little downy hair growing on my face! Smiley Surprised 

I'm an active just turned 50 year old and I I'd choose this over Tamoxifen in spite of the joint pain as everything is so much easier to cope with if you feel mentally good! Smiley Happy I can stay up in the evenings and also have a hair free face! Smiley Happy 

I may at some point in the future look into trying a different AI but I am concerned as to whethet it might affect my mood again or have different side effects.

Hope this helps!

MM

xx

Community Champion

Ah, you are already getting hot flushes then, even without the tablet....maybe the Ladycare Magnet thing would be helpful to you then, whether or not you go on to hormone treatment. There is a thread somewhere on here about it, and some people get amazing relief from it, and some don't. (Wish I'd known about it 10 years ago when going through regular menopause actually, when i did get some flushes, not a lot, but always at inconvenient and public times!) You've time to do your research anyway, and see what other folk on here have to say and then make an informed decision. It's all a bit of a trial sometimes, isn't it, this breast cancer lark and it's still early days for you. Take care. xxxxxx

Thank you Optimissy, you have given me some insight on taking this drug.  I am 57 and still suffer the most herrendous hot flushers, which have effected both my sleep and work life, so have more hot flushes than normal would just be a nightmare.  I will think long and hard about this drug, and may also wait until I have finished my radiotherapy before taking it.  I am a very active person, and the thought of not being able to do all the things I love would be awful, and I have read that they are not always nessary to keep from having secondary cancer.  Again thank you for your very helpful reply.  x

Community Champion

Lozzie I wouldn't be too  hasty to refuse the Anastrozole without a bit more thought, and by reading a few of the posts on a similar thread a few weeks ago, particularly from a lady who has secondary bc and really wanted to highlight the importance of preventative hormone therapy.

The first thing to say is that inevitably this Forum will have more posts from people who are struggling and and are looking for support and advice, and that is a great benefit from the Forum. However, there are fewer posts from people who have had no problems at all and just got on with their life and don't use the Forum, which skews the balance somewhat.

I too was horrified by the list of POTENTIAL side effects when I was prescribed Anastozole, looked at the packet in dread for a week, and delayed taking the first tablet until the last day of rads as I didn't want the risk of a double lot of side effects.(As it was, the rads were fine.) I bought a Ladycare Magnet just in case which is still in its packet - just in case! I confessed to my onc that I'd delayed the tabs for the 3 weeks of the rads and he was unconcerned at the slight dealy.

Well, I've been taking Anastozole since 10th Feb this year and can honestly say i have noticed no difference in my physical condition nor mood, and having deliberately lost a bit of weight since New Year , which has helped the pre-existing arthritis in hips, my joints hurt LESS than they did before BC.  I actually feel fitter than 5 years ago. Not even had a hot flush. I have a theory that post-menopausal ladies like me may have very little oestrogen in the body anyway, so the drug is less of a shock to the system. I'm assuming you are also post-meno as you were prescribed Anastrozole?

The choice is obviously yours to make, and I respect anyone's decision to take control of their own treatment, but you've nothing to lose by at least giving it a try? I'm guessing there will be other posts by folk on hormone therapy in a similar vein to this - we don't all suffer the nasties! Good luck. xxxxxxx

I have just been prescribed Anastrozole after two WLE for DCIS, I am thinking I may not take these at all and just have the radiotherapy, as looking at all these post on the drug has made me more fearful than the DCIS high Grade.  Feel I will just take my chance.

Has anybody had problems with bruising please? I have quite a few, some of them quite large. I do bruise easily anyway but this is more than usual. Any ideas please?

I have terrible headaches, bone & muscle pain. Feels like electric shocks going off in my body and legs twitching like crazy from it. In ER twice in pat 2 weeks with headache & bone pain. Only gave me an anti anxiety drug and sent me home. Stopped taking anastrazole 7 days ago. Feeling better but not normal yet. William see my oncologist on the 20th.

After a Medical Centre  prescribed Anastrozole IMG /one per day, I began to notice differences in my wife: Although she had some loss of short term memory before this time the new differences were:

-having problems controlling  mood, or controlling  emotions; swelling of lower leg or ankle; loss of appetite; sickness/ vomiting; severe constipation; coldness/ shivering; weakness; confusion; mood changes; nervousness; panic attacks; agitation; drowsiness; feeling empty and sad; coughing more than usual.

After this was reported to the Medical Practice the strength of my wife's anti- depressant tablets were increased from 15MG to 30MG.

During the period when an anti-depressant drug was increased: Mirtazapine 15MG to 30MG, I found, in my wife, a marked desire to sleep longer but a lessening in anxiety until some small crisis happened such as: trying to pay bills she had paid already; trying to pay fines for parking which had already been dealt with; forgetting why she had received letters from hospital about her condition. These events where always accompanied by tears.

I find the conclusion of the Anastrozole paper misleading.[a]

This was a large and random sample in its first stages;

20% of the women in the Anastrozole group dropped out because of the side effects;

The researchers reported that, ''Anastrozole effectively reduces incidence of breast cancer in high-risk postmenopausal women'';

The results are: '' The group taking Anastrozole experienced fewer cases of breast cancer.''

This conclusion was given after a five year term on one experiment with 125 women.

On the other hand, the researchers are to be thanked for their efforts in Science and encouraged to repeat the study.

[a] ''Anastrozole for prevention of breast cancer in high-risk postmenopausal women (IBIS-II): an international, double-blind, randomised placebo-controlled trial.'' Funded by Cancer Research UK

I had 5 weeks off any medication - maybe you could time a break for your holiday?! X

Thanks Janey2. I'm seeing my GP soon. I might have a conversation about it but we're going away for a long holiday so any change might not be a good idea.
I hate feeling so pants!

Soobee I did adjust to most of the side effects but struggled with joint pain with Anastrazole. I took them for six months. I'm now 2 months into Exmestane and no joint pain yet (other than what I already had!). No longer struggling with insomnia, my mind isn't whirling and far fewer hot flushes. I am very tired but I think it's managing work xx

I've been on Anastrozole for two months now. Initially I had no side effects but now, not only can I not stop my mind whirling at night, but I've also got terrible pains in my legs. The leg pain only comes on at night as I go to bed. Paracetamol doesn't help. Has anyone else experienced this please? Will it settle? I'm so tired. Thank you

A quick hello from me. I wanted to say I started Anastrazole in October last year. I struggled with joint pain, mood etc. I was happy to persevere with the tablets. However, at my first surgical review I was taken off them and switched to Exmestane. The few weeks break I had were wonderful. However, I have adjusted to them - a bit of low mood and insomnia but nowhere near as tough, so I really recommend speaking with your team xx

Hi all

Saw the specialist this week, she advised that I could go on tamoxifen instead as its a lot easier on the body, plus I can use localised oestrogen with it. Downside is it's a 10 year and not a 5 year drug. I'
m going to consider it though, anastrozole really wipes you out.

I also told my husband I felt like an old woman and he didn't know how to respond. They really don't understand sadly.
I have found that taking the Accord version of anastrozole is kinder on the bones, I don't know why.

Dwnie, let us know how if yiu decided to give up the medication and how you get on. I'm sure it's something we've all considered.

hi, i have been on anastrazole for 9 months and have recently asked to come off it because i have had similar side effects to you.  i have been off it for 4 weeks now and have drastically improved, i finally feel like me again, not a zombie on remote control!   having a serious think as to whether to just opt out of any medication now.

Hi ladies, I'm also taking Anastrozole. My bones ache terribly. I've been on them for 3 mths now after having a mastectomy 4mths ago. My moods are up and down I feel so alone. I'm a hairdresser so I put on my smile and do my hair and get on with it. But some days it's just unbearable. My husband doesn't understand so I have no support. I'm putting on weight and I'm exhausted all the time so I'm feeling old ugly and worthless at 51. Trying to come to terms with my body changes and trying to tell your husband how you feel is hard. Help!!!

Hello ladies

What an intersting thread.  I looked on here because I've been taking anastrozole since November 14 following lumpectomoy and chemo.  I know there is a common thread about joint pain, for me it's my hips, if I get cold at night they get really painful and wake me up. When I get up in the morning it feels like they've rusted. Woman Frustrated However I also feel like an old woman (I'm 55 so no spring chick) and some days I just can't be bothered. I went through the menopause in my early forties so I thought I'd done with all that.

I too have been suffering with very dry skin/hair and other places! Spoke to my GP last week who confirmed the other places had atrophied and the only thing which might reinstate them a little would be localised oestrogen, I'll take this up when I next see my oncologist.

My hair is also quite thin, by the comments that have been made on here it looks like that's also down to the drugs. I know they're trialling putting wormen on this for 10 years but if asked I will alsmost definitely say no, unless the stats are so good that it's undeniable.

I just want to stop feeling like an old depressed short tempered hag, it won't all be down to the medication but I'm sure it plays a part.  The oncologist told me that its the first three years on it which are the most important, I'm seriously thinkg of stopping it later this year.  Has anyone had any positive side effects from these drugs??

Sylvia

Hi Lindylou2250,

Welcome to the forum and I am sure some of our users will be sharing their information and support soon.

I have moved your post to an already existing thread called Anastrozole, side effects do they get better to give users more of a chance to respond.

In the meantime you could always call our support line at 0808 800 6000 who will be able to talk to you about Anastrozole and offer a friendly ear.

Best wishes, 

Lizzy 

Digital Community Assistant 

cif

What did you decide about taking taking AI's?  How has decision affected your body?  Is HER2+++ involved?  Stage IIb ER+/Her+++ and after a year on Tamox was put on anastrozole (Teva brand) and within first week lost use of thumbs, now 6 weeks later I have bruises all over, bruises above joints where toes meet foot, and thrush on tonge, chronic headache (except recently on days I decided to not take it, headaches even if I only take half of the 1mg).   I never recovered from neuropathy and started making headway in regaining speach, and less incidents of losing time and confusion ... but since on this AI it has almost set me back to my last chemo days of having to crawl on all fours half way to bathroom before using furniture to get upright.  I exercise everyday, keep moving, and of course try to relearn reading/writing/math and such that got wiped out with chemo and herceptin.  I get help with these posts between dragon software and other tools. 

Based on this thread, I am interpreting that the side effects are permanent even with long term absence from this drug, so I need to make a life and death decision about this AI to weigh quality vs quanity of life.  If anyone has already made this same AI decision for quality and has regrets I welcome feedback.

Anastrozole - side effects

Side effects! Do they last? I've been taking Anastrozole since August, and I get a lot of upper arm pain, and mood swings. I was wondering if anyone else is going through the same thing, or already have done, and if they have any advise for me on whether they last or not?

I was on anastrozole for 7 weeks and was told to stop taking it on my last day of rads because I was loosing a lot of hair. My oncologist told me to stop taking it for a month to see how things went.  After a month off it I cannot say that I noticed any improvement in my hair and my GP thinks that it might be being caused by the shock of the original diagnosis last June.  I have now been back on anastrozole for 10 days and have developed a new problem.  I have had 4 migraines during this time and I cannot cope with them so the GP has now told me to take my tablet at night instead of in the morning and to half the dose to see iff things settle down and then try the full dose again. Has any one else had a problem with migraine.

I really don't know what to do because I don't fancy taking tamoxifen instead. Any ideas, anyone?

Eileen

I've also just been looking at Anastrozole posts.  I'm starting on it today, and as I've experienced hair thinning after the menopause, I'm not looking forward to losing any more.  In fact, I'm thinking of buying a wig anyway - has anyone else had to wear one?   As for aches and pains, I'm quite fit and active, so hoping that'll help me to get through it.  The positive side is that I'm almost 6 weeks on from my lumpectomy and start radiotherapy in a couple of weeks.

hi girls just been reading your threads on this subject. I too have very bad back pain and joint pains in a morning and they do no go till i move around. sometimes at night my back aches and so difficult to become comfy. I think the key is definatley excercise and keep moving, if i sit for an hour watching tv my back aches again so yes girls move move move!!!! it kills me but its not gonna win.I have suffered thinning hair on top of scalp and gets me down , but hopefully it will become thicker after the five years of anastrozole.(anyone know anyone that says it does?]

i have had my second dexa scan and i am on Adcal tablets please take note of what you eat with them e.g bran, whole meal because of the absorption from the tablet is reduced (please read leaflet)

im wanting to know if the calcium tablets restore calcium loss and when you finish them your bones are topped up?{might be something for life?

appreciate any replys girls cils ....

Thanks Hazel: yes, it usually goes away with activity, but it does get in the way of a good night's sleep. (I drink lots and lots before bed and during the day for lots of reasons)  I have to say that the letrazole was worse in that I had more hair loss and also was more tired, but I was working longer hours then.  And getting used to the diagnosis.  They took me off it when I went on Chemo because it wasn't working. 

i don't know how many different companies do Anastrazole and I wonder how I can find out?

Hello Penny,

I have just finished 5 yrs of Letrozole after 5 yrs of Tamoxifen and have had problems with Letrozole which is the same type of drug as Anastrozole and I think the SEs must be similiar.

Can I ask whether your aches go away with movement or exercise and are they worse in the morning or when you have been inactive. I ask this because I have major problems when I get out of bed with what I call a muscle spasm and unless I do some sort of stretching exercise before I get out of bed I get this problem. Once I get up and about to eat breakfast I drink about 1/2 litre of water because I read that the spasms could be due to dehydration and then after breakfast go out for a walk for about 20 mins. Unless I do this just bending to tie my trainer laces give me a problem. Do you have this problem or is it more of continious pain.

I was on Femara before the generic versions came along and found Teva the best after trying various companies, it is due to the coating I think.

I have been on Ibroprofen but because it is bad for the stomach longterm I also had to take Omeprazole to help with that. I also was diagnosed with Burning Mouth Syndrome which is a another story and I won't bore you with that because not many women on this forum has had this problem.

Hazel

All of your experiences parallel mine.  I've been on Anastrazole 11 months post op chemo and radiotherapy.  Doing fine, and putting bad days down to lack of fitness, weight-gain, and age (66).  This week I forgot to take the tablets 3 days running.  This coincided with a lot of heavy work.  Physically fine.  Now I have started taking them again the pain is back and I realized what a burden it is.  I do already take vitamin D3 and calcium for osteopenia they dx by scan just after I went on letrozole (which I was on for 6  months before the chemo which was nwo-adjuvent). 

I read on the Forum last year (before it changed) that switching manufacturers can help.  I am taking the Sandoz version.  Do any of you remember reading about this here (I can't find it on search) and what they said- or do any of you have experience of switching?  Meanwhile I'm back on the heat packs and NSAIDS!