Community Champion
Posts: 2,549
Registered: ‎30-03-2016

Re: Second opinion after being Dismissed by consultant

I agree go back to your GP, explain you were unhappy with the dismissive attitude. I too would have thought at the least you'd have a proper manual examination and possibly a mammogram given the circumstances. Any hospital unit has a number of consultant breast surgeons, so it should be entirely possible to be seen by someone else.

Posts: 71
Registered: ‎27-01-2015

Re: Second opinion after being Dismissed by consultant



I would go back to your GP and explain to them your concerns. They sounded on the ball by

giving you an urgent referral.

Ask to see another consultant. I saw a consultant once and refused to see her again, you have that

choice, afterall it is your body.


I don't think you are misusing the NHS that is what it is there for.


I hope your mum's results are clear.

Best wishes

Posts: 2
Registered: ‎04-12-2018

Second opinion after being Dismissed by consultant

I’m experiencing breast pain for the last three months, it hurts without any connection to my cycle so I went to see a GP who did examinations and based on my family history suggested urgent referral to a breast clinic.
The consultant hardly touched me and said I have nothing to worry about, I have zero confidence in how she dealt with it, she completely avoided the painful areas and the whole examination was very brief.
I am not one to panic, an still young (30) BUT my mum had breast cancer 13 years ago and now is waiting for biopsy results for a suspected return.
First time her cancer was discovered by scanning and not by examination so I feel a bit uneasy about the way I was dismissed.
At the end of the appointment the consultant said if my mum cancer has in fact returned I should mention it to the GP who might refer me again for further tests.
Am I being unreasonable by feeling a bit let down? I don’t believe in misusing the nhs and am happy to pay for any scans but after seeing the consultant I feel like I’m making it up
Should I insist on a second option in a different hospital?