Most people considering genetic testing undergo genetic counseling, which can help you understand what the results could mean for your health and help you decide whether genetic testing is right for you. If your family member doesn't carry the BRCA gene mutation, then other family members may not benefit from taking the BRCA test. However, there might be other genetic tests to consider. The best way to know the risk of breast cancer is Endopredict cancer test.
It must be worrying at such a young age to go through this. I have been through a similar situation. I lost my mum to secondary breast cancer 6 years ago she was only 48. I spoke to a genetics clinic the year after who advised their wasnt enough breast cancer in the family for it to be gentic. Beginging of last year I was called back to have my file reviewed as new testing had become available. They tested one of my mums stored samples and 3 months later I got the news she did have the brac2 gene. I chose the have the test a few weeks ago as I have 2 young girls. My results came back positive on Monday. Everyone is different and some people choose not to find out. I wanted to know so I can plan for the future and ensure my girls get tested so they in turn can plan their future. Not matter what you choose I hope everything works out for you.
I am young also, being diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 32. It's a scary thing, but I advise to have your genes tested and to have regular mammograms and/or MRI's, and self examinations. If you do have cancer, it's important to catch it early. Bring someone with you to your appointments for support and strength. Be strong, like a warrior, and stay on top of it. You can do this.
Thank you to all of you that have replied and shared your views💜
I had my appointment 2 weeks ago and had mainly decided I was going to have testing but I was told within 5 minutes of being there that I’m not eligible to be tested. I’m not sure why or how my family history isn’t enough to warrant me being tested but they are contacting my grandma about possibly testing her first and then testing me if she has a BRCA gene. My cousin is also young and has had breast cancer so they mentioned the TP53 gene which they may consider testing in her. I don’t know much about this one but from what I’ve looked at it’s not great! So I’m just a little stressed at the minute about what I should do from here but I’m taking it one day at a time
Hi Nicole, I understand this can be totally overwhelming and my advice is to take it one day at a time. I have breast cancer and got genetic testing, I tested positive for the BRCA2 gene, I went for genetic counselling where they discussed my options, which I’d already been through with my breast cancer specialist, so it wasn’t too much info as I’d already been through it before. I have just finished chemotherapy and will be going for a bilateral mastectomy next month and ovary and Fallopian tube removal soon after. I really wish it had been something I’d known about sooner as I’d have loved to have been able to choose to have preventative surgery rather than chemo also. If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to ask ❤️Xx
Hi Nicole, I was diagnosed with BRCA2 gene around a year ago. I’m 26. My Mum has had breast cancer twice in the last five years.
Before I had my blood test to determine my BRCA status I did have to speak with a family history counsellor. They discuss all of the possible outcomes and treatment options. And as mentioned before if you don’t feel ready they can definitely postpone it.
I decided even before my test that I would be having a risk reducing double mastectomy if I proved to carry the gene. I’m now in the process of doing so which involves even more counselling! It’s always worth speaking to your gp if you feel like you need extra support but I’ve also been offered lots of support through the family history clinic.
Hopefully you won’t have the gene but worst case scenario that you do it doesn’t mean your life has to change if you don’t want it to!
Hi Nicole ,I haven’t been through this myself but I’m sure that you have to have some counselling first before you go ahead with the test so if after discussing it you do not feel ready to take the test right now you could leave it and come back at a later date when you feel more able to deal with the outcome .You could ask about this in the Ask the Nurses section they may be able to explain the process to you and what the options would be if the test was positive .I will post you the link .Jill.