Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stage 3 breast cancer and worried

4 REPLIES 4
Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Re: Stage 3 breast cancer and worried

Hello Louturtle,

Just wanted to add that you are not alone on here, there's always someone to chat to.   I was diagnosed in 2018 and I have children too, aged 14 and 15 at the time and one was just about to start GCSEs!   Its never easy discussing these sorts of things but depending on their age you can find useful support and guidance from this site and also there are booklets and information available for children from MacMillan.  I was advised to be honest with them from the start but to keep the tone positive and explain that I would be having treatments (and what they were) and how they may affect me.  As the others have said, children are quite resilient and mine were a true inspiration to me throughout.  And my son passed all his GCSEs too!

As for your family, you have to just look out for yourself for now, it may be they are in shock too and lots of people don't know what to say so choose the silent treatment instead or offer some piece of useful advise... mostly they don't mean it, they are just floundering around.

Try to keep strong

Kip

x

Hello, 

I'm sorry to hear about how you have been feeling - it can be such a mixture of emotions. 

My name is Lizzie and I am a member of the Someone Like Me service: https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/information-support/support-you/someone-me-telephone-support

We can put you in touch with a volunteer who has had a similar experience to yourself and can offer you some support. It can be a lonely experience even when you have friends and family around you, but sometimes it can help speaking to someone who has been there.

The Forum is such a fantastic way to do this, but if you would like to speak with someone one-on-one, either over the phone or over email, then you can contact us at 0114 263 6490 (available Mon-Thurs 9-5pm, Fri 9-4pm) or complete our web enquiry form and one of our team would be happy to contact you. 

If you would prefer to speak to someone via email, you can select and contact one of our volunteers directly here: https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/information-support/support-you/someone-me/someone-me-email-supp...  

I really hope you are doing ok and remember where we are if you need us. 

Lizzie 

Community Champion

Hi Louturtle, sorry you find yourself here.  I was stage 3 at diagnosis and it’s pretty scary. My kids were in university at the time and handled it better than I expected.  You need to focus on you for a while and let your family deal with their own feelings whilst you cope with yours.  It can be quite isolating but as you chat with others who have been through this I’m sure you’ll feel less alone.  Here’s my story: http://lifeafterlola.com/

once your treatment plan is in place you can chat with others going through the same on the “going through treatment” threads on here.  I found this really helpful.  Xx

Sorry to hear about your BC. I was so worried about my kids, and they have completely amazed me with how strong they have been. It’s a tough time, but when I told them I promised them that I would never hide or keep anything from them so they always knew what was happening.  

How old are your children? 

Wishing you all the best x

Highlighted

Stage 3 breast cancer and worried

I’m the only one in my family that’s got cancer and my friends have had different types, my family members are being distant although they may not be taking it well, unfortunately I feel lonely and trying to keep my head up for my children but knowing what’s coming is concerning and my kids haven’t seen my properly sick yet 😢