cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reconstruction choices???

8 REPLIES

Re: Reconstruction choices???

Thanks Sally, it was the surgeon that recommended this. I am still in a daze about it and put my trust in him! I didn't think I had an option with recon. So was chuffed to think I could. My massive concern that I would repulse my husband, stupid but didn't want to take the risk? x

Hi LyndaN

Helenann's procedure was more similar to what you sound to be having. Mine was a "delayed" one by 7 & 8 yrs, so the main mastectomy sugery had already been done and flat. They just make a 3" incision, free a circlular pocket of skin from the ribs, put the expander in, sew it back up and inflate with an initial 100ml to keep it in place. Allow it to heal, then I went back every 4 weeks to have further infaltions to the desired size. I haven't yet had the expanders replaced with the perm silicones. 

Mine were tender until the skin had gradually stetched, each time. But your op, being immediate recon, is more complicated. I just wondering if you've had a look at previous reconstruction threads, whilst your waiting for more relevant replies on here.

Wishing you luck for the 21st

Lotsa love, Delly xxx

Thank you so much for your reply. This is all very daunting but you make it sound straight forward. Good luck on the 5th x

Hi LyndaN - I was diagnosed with IDC on 8th August and had a right mastectomy on 24th Sept - I had immediate reconstruction using an implant - its a tissue expander - so when I woke up after surgery I had some breast shape (as they put some saline into it to start with). Then I went along to the breast clinic for 6 weeks to have it filled so it gradually expanded the skin.(this was completely painless incidently) I had the final fill in November and it has to be left for 3 months to 'settle down'. I have an appointment on 5th Feb, when I'm hoping I will be told when I can have the permanent implant done - which I understand will be a softer more natural looking implant, as it will be filled with silicone.

I hve found this very straight forward - however I wasn't given any option on which reconstruction I would be having - when I said I wanted reconstruction I was only told about this tissue expander one, but think I probably would have opted for this one anyway as its was only one operation site.

Good luck with your decision - keep us posted on the outcome.

Sending love and hugs, Helen. xxx

Thank you Delly,

I read all the leaflets etc. and decided on the implants.  But saw the surgeon yesterday and he advised the tissue expander process for safety and then in six months the implant.  Got my date for surgery today, which is 21.02.19.  Feels very real now, but at least I know exactly what will happen and when.  Hope you are keeping well and you sound very confident with your journey.  Do you mind if I ask how it all went and how you felt in the first few days?

With love

Lyn xxx

Hi LyndaN

I had delayed recon from bilat mastectomies. I'm only at expander stage. Repeatedly went through all the options of self tissue recon, but never wanted anything other than Implant recon. The only self tissue option being Lat flaps, as I didn't have the extra tummy, thigh or bum flesh. But I never wanted it anyway, only implants. No extra scars, less healing time, and the anatomically "teardrop" shaped implants are that much natural looking than previous implants.  

I hope you're further forward in your procedure decisions, and wish you the best of luck with it all.

Lotsa love

Delly xxx

Thank you for your advice. Seen the surgeon today and advised a tissue expander for the time being. So will look for someone like me x
Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Lynda, I notice you’ve not had any replies yet, you could try a message on one of the chemo threads maybe sept, Oct, Nov 18 threads they maybe ladies who have had surgery prior to chemo who could help you also the someone like me facility on here too might be useful and give you some answers darling, hope that might help you reach decisions, keep 💪💪💪 ❤️❤️💕💕✨✨Shi xx

Reconstruction choices???

Have been offered reconstruction at the same time as a mastectomy. Would love to know anyone's experiences with implants and the tummy skin flap. Recovery etc and results. Thank you.