Re: Recently diagnosed and feeling so very scared and alone

Thanks Marla you too 😊 xxx

Julie-you are a real trooper! Congratulations on your successful surgery but more importantly, on how you handled *yourself* pre-, during and post the surgery! I knew you could do it!! So very happy for you. You sound in much better spirits today....I hope you have a good day knowing that is behind you now. 

Sending lots of love...

xxxx

Morning all,

Just thought I’d give you an update as I’ve had my 2nd op and managed to get home last night 🙏🏻

Thank you all for your advice on dealing with this with white coat syndrome 😩

I spoke with my wonderful consultant and my BC nurse beforehand and explained how bad my anxiety had got.
My consultant then pulled all the teams together (ward nurses and theatre staff) and briefed them fully.
My BC nurse came down to the anesthetic room with me, my theatre nurse stayed with me for the full time in the recovery room and my consultant authorized the constant BP monitor to be removed and just do the one whilst in there.
Once up in the ward she had also advised to keep the BP monitoring to a min with reassurance throughout 😊

What a wonderful team and so very grateful.

Thanks again to you all for your advice.

Julie xxx

Congratulations! and yes, your honeymoon is a wonderful memory to bring to the front of your mind to put you in a calm frame of mindSmiley Happy. You will be fine! 

xxxx

Thanks Marla and yes love Smooth too 😊
Lovely to hear your Father is visiting you xxx

Got married this year so will think of my wonderful honeymoon 💕

Yes will Definitely let you all know how today goes xxx

Julie-good good luck for later today. Please don't be anxious....you will be fine and I trust that you trust you are in good hands. Use your time this morning to get yourself ready (bag packed) etc. and sit down, put on some relaxation music (I love Smooth FM or Jazz) and just visualise your last amazing holiday....and RELAX Smiley Happy.

Thinking of you for later and please do update us...OK? 

My father is visiting from Canada this week so if I reply a little late or tomorrow, that'll be why, but I'll be thinking of you! 

xxxx

Hi Marla,

Many thanks for replying it means such a lot to know I’m not on my own with this.
As you can imagine I’m feeling super anxious right now as due to have my 2nd op later today 🙏🏻

Julie xxx

Hi JD-W,

I wanted to reply although I realise your Q was addressed to Debbie; my GP explained to me that the reason they take my BP (and presumably every other patients') more than once is because they *expect* our first reading to be high. Mine advised me to do the same at home....to take 3 readings-they normally record the lowest reading. I have been taking mine at home for over a year and it really does get easier. You just have to allow yourself time to get used to (sensitize) to your machine. Don't look at it as a scary old beast. Make friends with it. Take your BP a few times, and in between readings, take a deep breath in through your nose, out through your mouth, a few times, and then take your BP. Don't panic if the reading is high. Don't record it. Take time to just practice relaxing-before you take your readings. The luxury of taking it at home is that you can do it *when* you are relaxed, which is what my GP advised me. And make sure your arm is parallel (in line with) the table it is resting on....your arm shouldn't be hanging down, or on an incline, as this also alters the readings. I just wanted to post the above because I too thought I'll never be able to take mine at home, and I can now do it-albeit, yes, some of my readings *are* high, especially during weeks of stress. But just practice, as you would to overcome any phobia.

I hope the above works for you.

xxxx

Hi Debbie,
Thanks for posting.
You are the only other person I’ve come across that also can’t take it at home...that’s the same as me 😞
Have you done anything about it? Xxx

Hi JD and ladies - looks like quite a few of us have white coat syndrome. As some of you other ladies said, my blood pressure shoots up the minute the machine comes out - but no good even if I do it myself at home! After my mastectomy the night nurses were popping in every 2 hours to take it so it was impossible to sleep. Just as I finally dropped off they came in again and I woke with a jump - BP rocketed and the nurses called their supervisor and I had a little group of nurses at the end of my bed muttering to each other about whether they should call in a doctor. Unsurprisingly that didn’t help! Had to go in for another op to remove more lymphs when sentinel node unexpectedly had spot of cancer. I begged the surgeon to let me go home afterwards and not stay in overnight as I couldn’t face that again, and he did. So, at the end of that ramble, JD you’re not on your own! By the way, I’m 3 years on and doing fine, as you will be too. Xx

Hi Daisy,
I’ll keep you posted on how I get on tomorrow.

Julie xx

Hi Marla,
Many thanks for your reassuring words and relaxation technique...I’ll give that a go.

Julie xx

[ Edited ]

Hi JD-W,

I, too, emphathise with White Coat Syndrome as I have it too, and I was also told that it is not uncommon for blood pressure to rise after a general anaeasthetic.

https://www.healthline.com/health/what-causes-high-blood-pressure-after-surgery#pain-medications

When I had surgery in 2015, one of the night nurses scared the "bleep" out of me by saying "your BP is high...you need to get it checked out"-but shouting at me in the middle of the night! My mother was with me and couldn't believe the manner in which she said it. Like "duh"-is it a wonder...it's not going to go down by shouting at me". I honestly wouldn't worry about having higher BP when in hospital though I would definitely let your nurse know so that they can keep an eye on it (they will anyways) during the op and then in recovery. It wouldn't hurt to just mention it to them. But again, it's common for BP to rise after an anaesthetic so they need to take that account as part of the reason it may be high post-op. As for relaxation techniques...take deep breaths in through your nose for 3-4 seconds, and exhale (through your mouth) for 6-8 seconds. Practice this 3x/day to help you relax. You will be fineSmiley Happy

Sending lots of love...

xxx

Hi I am in exactly the same place as you.  Had mammoplasty on 29th October, 2 nodes removed, one positive so now waiting for axillary clearance booked for 29th Nov.  Wish I didnt have to wait so long.  Also 3 margins were not clear so they will open up wound and remove more.  I have been told grade 2 also ER pos HER neg.  I am also terrified and cant focus on anything but positive node.  Imaging all kinds of scenarios now.  I am also known to be a very strong women but feel like a baby at the moment.  My consultant says it is early breast cancer but how can it be early when it has already spread.  I am a looker after of everyone else.  Good luck for Wednesday. Please let me know how you get on.  We can do this

Thank you so much for your kind and positive comments xx
Community Champion

JD-W, just wanted to say hi and welcome and echo what the others have said.  I think the clinical environment is not conducive to relaxation and whilst the uniform is a necessary part of hygiene and professional presentation, it doesn't put you at ease.  A consultant came to see me when I was in isolation during chemo due to risk of infection and he was putting on a blue plastic apron as he approached me, I said "what are you going to do to me?" with a rather worried look on my face and he replied "I'm going to shake your hand!" the apron was to prevent germs being transferred whilst he chatted to me.  Smiley LOL  I had all of my lymph nodes cleared on one side as mine were full of cancer and I'm doing fine one year on since surgery, no signs of lymphodema or recurrence (fingers crossed).  There is research which is showing that if you stay fit and healthy your risks may be reduced.  I'm glad you found us here where we understand how you feel and I hope you continue to recover well from your surgery.  The mental recovery takes a bit longer.  Sending hugs. xxx

Tha Khoi Jo...it’s so good to hear I’m not alone xx
Community Champion

I am another with white coat syndrome, stems from having pre eclampsia when I was pregnant many years ago! Left me with a fear of having my BP taken so its through the roof before I've even rolled my sleeves up! Had a monitor on at home before to get an accurate reading and its always within an acceptable range, bizarrely after my lumpectomy it dropped quite low which made us laugh after all these years of it being high! 

Its natural to feel anxious and also perfectly normal to focus on the one minute bit of negative news even when the rest was so positive, we all do it. 

Plenty of ladies here to talk to at all hours of the day and night so you are never on your own Xx Jo 

Ok thank you Ann xx
Community Champion

Just to add, your bp may well be just fine post op due to the anaesthetic & obviously not being anxious when sedated & in recovery. x