Re: Recently diagnosed and feeling so very scared and alone

I have had results and although all the cancer is removed one of the margins was not clear by 1mm!  They are insisting on doing the axillary clearance and I have a choice of mastectomy at the same time or one more try at the margin.  It seems such a big issue for me to lose a large breast for a mm.  So I will going for my third surgery soon and think I would like to give the margin one more try.  Maybe Im just delaying the inevitable but think thats what I want.  I have a week to think about it before I sign the consent forms. My surgeon was very reassuring saying that all the cancer had been removed and all this extra stuff is to try and prevent it coming back.  How are you doing Julie?

Hi Daysidi, I'm so sorry you're going through all of this. Please, try to think in a positive way, because thinking everything will be bad will make you feel desperate. I know by my own experience that it's very hard, but don't allow bad thoughts grow up in your mind. This waiting time is the worst, isn't it? :-(
I wish you all the best, and remember that you're not alone ;-)
Community Champion

[ Edited ]

Oh gosh, sorry must have missed some of your 'back story' and didn't realise that this was your second surgery. So, its the 'waiting game' for you again now.....and as you say.....as results come in the 'choice' may become clearer. So sorry you are having this rather complex worry at the start of your treatment. Smiley Frustrated

Hi Charys I had a long chat with the surgeon today and bcn.  This was already my second surgery as they didnt know about the extensive DCIS in the first place.  I said I didnt want a mastectomy as I have large breasts and there is still a fair amount left on the bad one.  He said that maybe if just one margin needed shaving they may consider going in for the third time but definitely not if more than that.   Its just a waiting game for me again.  I will also need to decide whether to go for the anc as they "forgot" to do it last time.  Just finding it very hard to deal with ...knowing one node was positive, one negative and trying to work out the best way forward but maybe all my choices will be taken away anyway.

Community Champion

Hiyer Daisydi,

What a horrible experience, to have to wait even longer for your 'not ready' results. I do hope your feeling about them possibly not having got clear margins is not right, but if it is then you won't be alone in having that outcome. Have they said it will be mastectomy and node clearance , as some people have a further lumpectomy attempt at getting clear margins ? It will be awful to have to have further surgery and more invasive surgery, but you can rest assured that they really will do everything to make sure there is nothing left to cause further issues.

x

That’s exactly what I was fearing after getting my results from the lumpectomy which was really different from the ultrasound and then the biopsy but somehow we just have to keep positive that eventually we do get some good news 🙏🏻 Xx

I may get a very basic result on Friday but will get everything next Wednesday.  If my margins aren't clear I will have to have a mastectomy and axillary clearance.  I have a really bad feeling that mine is much worse than they thought.  I am in total meltdown at the moment

It’s the waiting that’s the worst isn’t it 😩
Have they said when they think it will be?
Glad you got your dressings changed x

Sadly results not ready so I will have to wait a bit longer but at least they have removed the sticky dressings so the blisters can breath

I can completely understand how you are feeling right now but sending you positive thoughts x

Thanks Julie.  I am a complete mess already.Praying for some positive news x

Hi Daisy,
Just wanted to wish you luck for your results today and hope you are ok.
Thinking about you
Julie x
Community Champion

Marla13, how are you getting on with your treatment?  x

I am wishing you all the best on this journey. God is a healer and if you believe He will heal you, He will heal you. You will NOT die, but LIVE to declare the works of the Lord. Amen.

Hi Daisy,
Good to hear from you but sorry to read what happened with their mistake?!
I suppose you can’t make any decisions until your get your results back...I’m so pleased they are fast tracking them for you.
Julie xx

I have expained the latest saga in my breast cancer life in the Going Through Treatment section for Nov 18 surgery as it is very complicated.  I am fuming 

Thanks Marla and Julie.  Here we go again xx

Daisy-good good luck for tomorrow. Don't worry about what they will find-whatever they will find (if anything) they will deal withSmiley Happy. I agree with you that one of the most frustrating things about this illness is that we can feel so well, yet be so unwell, i.e., have cancer in our bodies. You, like Julie, are a trooper and you will get through tomorrow with flying colours! As hard as it is, try not to forecast what the outcome will be and try and put it out of your mind-worrying about it won't change the outcome so you may as well preserve your energy tonight rather than spend it worrying. We'll be thinking of you and waiting to hear from you once you're feeling well again. xxxx

Hi Daisy,
Please try and not worry...remember I was beside myself with worry and was saying everything you are right now and my results were all 25 removed were clear 😊
It’s good that you also feel well...I was told that’s another positive 👍🏻
At least this time tomorrow you will be one step further.
I’m ok but just arrived at the hospital again for my 3rd drain 😩 and that’s another thing you won’t have to put up with as you are having one fitted.
Will be thinking about you and please keep us posted xxx

Well tomorrow is the big day again.  I am so so scared mainly of what they find in my lymph nodes.  How can I be so ill but feel so well.  The future looks very bleak for me at the moment.  Cant think of anything positive.  I hate this so much.  How are you getting on Julie?