So glad youve got your next date and sending you lots of good luck.
Hi Carol Lina, I didnt have pain and numbness from the biopsy because the surgeon removed the sentinel nodes through the incision in my breast as I had a mammoplasty. When I spoke to my surgeon on Wednesday about the axillary clearance I am having on 10th Jan he told me to expect pain and numbness as they have to cut a nerve to get to all the nodes. They also said it was very important to do the exercises and if there was any swelling on the arm to get it seen to as quickly as possible. So I expect what you are feeling is normal.
Hi Julie I spoke to my breast care nurse today and told her I had decided on the re reexcision as I couldnt lose my breast for the sake of 1mm. I am going in on Wednesday to sign the consent forms for this and the axillary clearance and she said surgery would probably be first week of Jan. I did ask about oncotype and unfortunately the policy at my hospital doesnt offer to anyone with positive nodes. I will wait until after the clearance and if no more are positive I will pay for it myself as I dont want to go through chemo if it wont be particularly helpful. So everything crossed for third time lucky with the margin. Just want to get all this surgery done with now. Hope you're healing well now. I will have a drain in for 5 days which I am not looking forward to. This feels like a neverending nightmare ....
Have you asked about the oncotype test?
Do you have a date for your next op?
Hi all, Julie wish I knew why they are insisting on clearance but they are. My positive node showed macrometasteses so I suppose they need to check the rest to stage the disease. I had no choice in this but then they should have done it last time so not really suprised. So pleased no chemo required for you. I dont seem to qualify for oncotype, dont know why. Always feel that I am not being told the whole picture but I've had a lot of paranoia set in lately just feeling that its worse than I'm being told even though the surgeon reassured me on Wednesday that it was still early stage breast cancer. Just wish I could wave a magic wand and it would all be over. Not looking forward to having a bad arm. ...
I think sometimes there is no right or wrong about these things, both outcomes often have the same clinical result and you just have to do what you'd rather do. My BCN called it a 'psychological decision', as there is no clear set of guidelines or advice in either direction. If I was you I would feel the same way I think, and there are others here who have had a few attempts at clear margins made. You have nothing to lose really, and could gain not having a mastectomy. x
I have had results and although all the cancer is removed one of the margins was not clear by 1mm! They are insisting on doing the axillary clearance and I have a choice of mastectomy at the same time or one more try at the margin. It seems such a big issue for me to lose a large breast for a mm. So I will going for my third surgery soon and think I would like to give the margin one more try. Maybe Im just delaying the inevitable but think thats what I want. I have a week to think about it before I sign the consent forms. My surgeon was very reassuring saying that all the cancer had been removed and all this extra stuff is to try and prevent it coming back. How are you doing Julie?
Oh gosh, sorry must have missed some of your 'back story' and didn't realise that this was your second surgery. So, its the 'waiting game' for you again now.....and as you say.....as results come in the 'choice' may become clearer. So sorry you are having this rather complex worry at the start of your treatment.
Hi Charys I had a long chat with the surgeon today and bcn. This was already my second surgery as they didnt know about the extensive DCIS in the first place. I said I didnt want a mastectomy as I have large breasts and there is still a fair amount left on the bad one. He said that maybe if just one margin needed shaving they may consider going in for the third time but definitely not if more than that. Its just a waiting game for me again. I will also need to decide whether to go for the anc as they "forgot" to do it last time. Just finding it very hard to deal with ...knowing one node was positive, one negative and trying to work out the best way forward but maybe all my choices will be taken away anyway.
What a horrible experience, to have to wait even longer for your 'not ready' results. I do hope your feeling about them possibly not having got clear margins is not right, but if it is then you won't be alone in having that outcome. Have they said it will be mastectomy and node clearance , as some people have a further lumpectomy attempt at getting clear margins ? It will be awful to have to have further surgery and more invasive surgery, but you can rest assured that they really will do everything to make sure there is nothing left to cause further issues.
I may get a very basic result on Friday but will get everything next Wednesday. If my margins aren't clear I will have to have a mastectomy and axillary clearance. I have a really bad feeling that mine is much worse than they thought. I am in total meltdown at the moment
Sadly results not ready so I will have to wait a bit longer but at least they have removed the sticky dressings so the blisters can breath