cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mastectomy next week. Feeling very anxious.

28 REPLIES 28

Re: Mastectomy next week. Feeling very anxious.

Hello ladies. Well here I am 1 week after surgery and getting better every day. I got home the same day although it was later in the evening. I had two drains in one of which was removed today by the district nurse who calls every day to monitor and empty the drains and also check my wounds,  such a relief although I will say it is amazing how  you manage to get a rest. I have some discomfort under my arm and it is also very numb due to having auxiliary lymph node clearance. I have been enjoying a walk round the garden with the dogs over the past couple of days. Although I still have chemo to come, it doesn’t seem as daunting and scary now.  Thank you to all of you for your advice, kind words and support. 

Good luck Rose, sending a big hug and will be thinking of you today. xxx

Rose
Will also be thinking of you today , sending you a hug and see you soon xxxx

Rosieeeee,

I'm hoping you may possibly look in before tomorrow. We'll be thinking of you. You'll be in excellent hands, have a lovely deep sleep, and see you soon.

xxxx

Thank you, will have a look at Asda. x

Asda do front fastening soft post op bras ... I think they were £16 for 2. Only available online but quick delivery to your local store.

xx

Hi Rose
That is the one I have found, just need to make sure I am getting the correct size due to a breast reduction as well so I get an equal balance as this was the surgeons advice.
It is such a learning curb,I hope one day I will be able to help others who feel lost in the early stages, but really pleased I have found this forum .
Take care and thank you for the advice on the bra as it has made my mind up to not look any further xxx

Hi Annie, Hopefully you will get sorted soon. I was recommended full cupped bras with poppers at the front to make it easy to take on and off. The other recommended was made with antibacterial, fabric that helps with healing. The shop ordered one of these for me and I will pick it up tomorrow. Xx

Highlighted

Hiya
We do have a shop locally but she has given me different advice from the hospital so I have emailed them and hoping they respond quickly as I have one on hold otherwise it is the internet and not so keen on that idea for fitting properly.Xxxx

I went for a bra fitting on Friday. My breast care nurse recommended a local lingerie shop near me. The lady was really helpful she measured me and I got two bras at £30 each. I was really pleased as I thought they would be a lot more expensive. Check and see if you have a shop locally. Xxx

Will be thinking of you on the 30th , please let us know how you get on.
I had no idea about drains until you mentioned it but I have been told Hopefully they will be out when I go home.
Just another shocker I have to purchase post op bras , so now I am totally confused on sizing as I have been given conflicting advise as they are £36 each I do not want to make a mistake,this is all blowing me away.
Annie xxx

Thank you ladies for your words of experience and encouragement. I am due for surgery on th 30th so not long away now. I have requested a knitted knocker, respect to these wonderful ladies  I have also looked at flat friends and the advice about clothes has made me feel so much better. I am in as a day case and will be under a district nurse to empty my drains when discharged . But I will be happy to be home although hospital have said to take an overnight bag just incase. Xxxxx

Hi ladies .. I’m from the May surgery thread. I had a mastectomy, no recon, last August ( the last of 3 ops last year). The anxiety is normal ..I was terrible before my op but extremely relieved when it was over. You do adjust to being a uniboober quite quickly I found. I looked at my chest as soon as possible in recovery and put my hand on it as well to get used to the flatness... bonding. I had a dressing on.  I had one drain which was removed the next day before going home. Paracetamol and Brufen  for pain ...I took them regularly initially. I did my post op exercises. I was out and about the first day home and wore my softie just to put a bit of pressure on ... and it felt comfortable as remaining boob was supported a bit and didn’t pull on wound. I wore it 24hours for a couple of weeks ... a recommendation from kip if I remember rightly and it did help. I started gentle massage along scar after a month. You do have some numbness across there and where you have node sampling done (SNB). I developed a seroma and it was drained a couple of times but not problematic. I developed cording after my mastectomy and saw a physio who showed me how to stretch more and how to massage. There is still evidence of it in my axilla but I have full movement of arm/shoulder. I still like to do my exercises/stretching/massage twice a day. I go out flat or with a foob in. I tend to use a softie or a knitted knocker (free from the KK uk branch...apply online) although I do have a proper silicone foob (prosthetic). 

If there’s anything you want to ask please do.

Theres a closed Facebook group called flat friends, support for women who haven’t had/or can’t have recon..or who are living flat whilst waiting for recon... or who’ve had failed recon...or who have chosen to deconstruct. FF is a charity.

Best wishes

xx

Hi Delly
This is a really encouraging post,I believe I am quite a quick healer as in 2016 I had major surgery to remove a polyp near my appendix and the pain and tightness in my abdomen is why I am not considering any of my own tissue for reconstructing as it would all be to much as well as a reduction in the right breast.
I am seeing a Breast nurse today but to be honest she was rather sharp the other day when we had the diagnosis so this forum I am finding is offering real life experience from people who know what it actually feels like.
Silly really but I am now going through the stage what can I wear
afterwards and still feel feminine, I have binned all my bras and swimwear as for me it would be a
reminder and when able to drive a bit of retail therapy.I guess we all find different ways in trying to cope and move forward.
Wishing you all a good day ahead xxxx

Dear Rosie60, Annie 55 and LyndaN

I had mastectomies 2006 and 2007, both with full axillary lymph node clearance (was standard procedure then). Both times I was healed and recovered within two weeks, and was back to driving then. But I heal well. I did have seroma's after both, but had them quickly drained back on the ward. If you experience these, have them dealt with asap, as the sooner the better for healing.

I, like yourselves, had worried. But I was amazed at how little pain or disturbance I felt, from such a major op.

I can't stress enough though, the importance of doing the exercises. I was in for 5 days each time. Again standard in those days, as opposed to sending you back home within a couple of days, these days. So my attitude was - I have no other distractions, so nothing much else to do other than my exercises. So I did them religiously, more often than the physios recommended 4x a day. The more you do them, the quicker you'll regain your movement, and the quicker you'll recover. Be strict with yourself.

I didn't suffer ANY of the burning sensation Pastamissus described, in my upper arm. Did have some chording a couple of weeks later, but again, that was quickly sorted with physio advise and being strict with my exercises. 

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not making little or light of it all, but I think you'll be amazed at just how well and how little you feel afterwards. Quite extraordinary, really. 

The other piece of advice I'd give is - even if you're not feeling sore at the time of going to bed, ALWAYS take your painkillers. If you don't, you can bet you'll wake yourself up with an "ouch" whilst rolling around in your sleep.

Wishing you so well with it all, girls. Please do keep us in touch with how you're all doing.

Loadsa love, Delly xxxxxxx

Thank you. The waiting is awful because this journey and what it entails is hanging over you. But not wanting time to pass too quickly as we know what is coming. I am trying to stay strong but emotions are on a rollercoaster. I also had to wait for 2nd biopsies. I know how anxious you must be feeling. 

Thinking of you. Good luck with everything, and try and stay strong. It will be the start of a new journey and somehow we will get through it and put this cancer thing behind us. I am booked in for a mastectomy on 21st Feb after having to wait for a second biopsy results. Seems along time ago mid November when mine started. Keep in touch would love to know you're ok xxx

I know it is scary and like me I guess you have your good and bad bits to your day,but there are so many lovely people on this forum and I am trying to take comfort from there experience .I felt really positive this morning till I got home and had the letter from the hospital with the diagnosis in black and white 😔 it pulls you back to reality.Take care xxxx

Thank you. The drain thing is a bit worrying. I have been told I will have two in. But I take comfort from the women who have gone before me and the reassurances from yourself and them that it will be ok. Still scary though 

I’m sorry Annie. I know how you must be feeling. I was diagnosed in November. I don’t think anything prepares you for it.  I couldn’t speak about it for a while. I have had bone and CT scans and thankfully they are clear. I have tried to prepare myself for surgery and have taken advise from chat site on what I will need to take to hospital with me. I’m thinking of you. 

I had my first mastectomy in August, and my second (they then found a different cancer in the other breast!) in November. It's OK. I took my teddybear with me down to theatre, and next thing I remember is waking up on the ward with teddy next to me. I was surprised by how little pain I had, could manage it fine with paracetamol and ibuprofen. The second time I had a drain in, the only problem was remembering to pick it up and take it with me when I moved! The district nurses took it out after a couple of days. The front of your chest is likely to be numb, and it's common to get a burning sort of sensation (like gravel rash) in the upper arm - this is because they have to cut one of the nerves during the operation. Mine settled after about 3 weeks, and it wasn;t horrendously painful, just annoying. You will be tired after the op, the anaesthetic takes it out of you. I found I was still having afternoon naps 4 weeks later. But everyone is different. All the best for your op.

Hi Rosie
I know how you feel ,I was diagnosed yesterday and will be going through the same in a couple of weeks.
Sending hugs xxx
Community Champion

It's pretty much impossible to be positive in the beginning - it is totally normal to be anxious ,scared and overwhelmed - the first few weeks are hell but it does get better .I think 1/3 ladies have some lymphnode spread but it is usually contained so try not to be too alarmed by that .You will be surprised how much better you feel after your op as you will hopefully be cancer free afterwards and the further treated is to help prevent re-occurrence .They is always someone here to talk to who understands how you are feeling .

I am trying so hard to stay positive. But my emotions are all over the place. I can be fine then cry at the slightest thing. Cancer has spread to my lymph nodes, I know at least two are infected. I have never had an operation and am just so overwhelmed.

Community Champion

It's a lot to get your head around and very overwhelming in the beginning .Best advice I can give is just take one step at a time - deal with the surgery and recovery before you start thinking about the next step otherwise you will just be overwhelmed .When you start chemo there are monthly threads in the going through treatment section where ladies going through chemo at the same time can support each other and get advice .

Thank you. No I decided against reconstruction hospital were very limited with options. Chemo and radiotherapy to follow. I don’t think I have ever felt so scared. 

Community Champion

You will also find information and advice in the surgery section of the forum https://forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Surgery/bd-p/4445
Community Champion

Hi Rosie ,welcome to the forum .Sorry you are feeling anxious about your op , but that is understandable - the anticipation of these things is always worse than the reality . I haven't had a mastectomy myself but there are plenty of ladies on the forum who have and can answer any questions you may have .Are you having reconstruction at the same time ?