Community Champion

Re: Just diagnosed with hormonal breast cancer

Marla, I just found your post on Club Tropicana thread and replied! Hope you are doing well. xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Clairebear, it won't change from *grade* 2 as that is your "type" - it's what your body made.  The *staging* is the bit that can change but it happens slower than our minds think.  That is the hard thing to get your head around and reassurance doesn't always help when the negative committee in your head won't shut up.  I imaged every cell in my body changing with every breath in and every heart beat but that's just the journey of the mind of course, not a reality.  I found keeping my mind distracted and busy was effective.  I got busy on nutrition which is a positive distraction rather than a negative distraction. You have to work through a lot of emotions before you find peace of mind and that is ongoing.  xxxx

Hi hopeful...i have been the same regarding the “it had spread” senario....I keep feeling tingling in my bum and back of my thighs...then burning or pains under my armpits...then tingling in the back of my neck (iv had this neck tingling since I had my baby)....I’m convincing myself I have it in my bones and brain 🙈🙈🤣...us anxiety sufferers genuinely do make a mountain out of a mole hill and I think because now after diagnosis we are so in tune with our bodies we notice every little thing!
My consultant reassured me the other day that it won’t spread or change from grade 2 within the next 3 weeks before my treatment starts and even said about over dramatising every little pain or tingle...Xx

[ Edited ]

Hi Hopeful,

I know it's irritating, but just attach an innocuous (innocent) explanation to it, as opposed to a "threatening/danger" explanation to it. It's interesting because I work with a lot of panic sufferers and health anxiety patients and what we know about these problems is that the pain is real-the problem is the meaning you attach to it.

Immediately following my own BC diagnosis, I was noticing every little pain (in my back, breast/chest area) and trust me when I say that I had to do some hard core CBT on myself, i.e., "don't be ridiculous Marla-they've reassured you that it has not spread". 

It *is* important to gain confirmation of the facts of your own particular case, i.e., has it spread, and if yes, where to, etc. If you've not had that confirmed yet (I can't recall which scans you've had and what they've told you), then yes, the waiting and uncertainty can really cause you to jump to the worst conclusions. 

For the sake of your own mental health though, until you have good reason to believe it has spread, i.e., doctors tell you it has....please assume it hasn't. I know-easier said than done. Smiley Happy. We're all here for you!  

xxx  

Yeah she said the same thing it might be my mind playing tricks on me it’s just so irritating that I suddenly get this pain. Thank you Marla I’m going to try and not panic x
Community Champion

Good advice below.

Did the bcn ring back ?

[ Edited ]

Hi Hopeful,

Don't panic! Smiley Happy. It's all very normal what you feel, and then what you think. I'm a CBT therapist when I'm not a breast cancer patient and what you're doing is called catastrophizing....thinking the pain near your armpit means it has spread. It's very normal to be hyper-alert to twinges and pains.....these things you may not have paid much attention to pre-cancer diagnosis but now that you have this diagnosis, you are imagining everything is linked, and in all likelihood it isn't. Try and stop yourself from jumping to the worst conclusions by seeking out evidence....if you have no evidence from your medical team that it has spread then assume it hasn't. We have so much to deal with, with what *is* true, that we don't need to make ourselves crazy over what isn't true. Again, it's perfectly normal to feel these pains but don't let your thoughts go down the catastrophe route, i.e., by attaching a "danger" meaning to the symptoms.

xxxx

I had another panic today I have woken up with pain near my armpit I panic and called my nurse I am so scared it’s starting to spread to my glands now! I just want my treatment to start now so I know it’s being treated and hopefully being killed. X

I looked up the Facebook group I’m just waiting for my request to be excepted x

thank you Maria, I hope your treatment is going well and that you lr doing well. I must admit ones the chemo starts I think I will fill more relaxed because I no I will be one step closer to saying bye to this horrible thing. X

Clairebear and Hopeful....it's great that you have each other to go through the journey with and good that you have much in common too. I have spoken to many women who used to cold cap and most say it's tolerable. It sounds like you are both in good hands....I'm sending much love and healing vibes to both of you.

xxxx

Yes I was crapping myself waiting on them results I’m.l not going to lie..lol but luckily I had them done the next day after diagnosis so I had all the stress and shock in the same week!!
Aww bless ya, it’s so over whelming isn’t it but iv been told numerous amounts of time because, I’m anxious Annie over here, that once all the treatment and that is in place it’s easier to focus on and start the count down until it’s all over with.
Having you to talk to and hear that your emotions and anxiety is the same as mine helps me out aswell 🤣🙏🏼 Yeah look it up it’s so good! Xx

Luckily I suffer from migraines well not luckily but I’m use to them so I though I would give it go if I can’t bare then I will stop but I though I might as well give it a go. No I haven’t heard of that group I might look it up. Did you get anxious with your other scans I’m now **bleep**ting myself thinking what in case they find something else. I don’t think I can take anymore stress especially with the waiting for the results of these scans! I also got a phone call asking for me to go see the chemo nurses next week starting to feel a bit to real now x

Hi Clairbear85,

I'm somewhere in the middleSmiley Happy. Diagnosed in August with Invasive Ductal with lobular features-Grade 2, ER +, Her2 -. I was planning for a mastectomy for next week but had some strong doubts about the op and having spoken to a Macmillan nurse for an hour last week, decided that it's not my time for the op. Saw my surgeon the following day and she agreed. I'm safe to give the hormone therapy Letrozole a go at shrinking the cancer and seeing then, what my options are. I may not be able to avoid mastectomy down the road if the cancer does not shrink the way we want it to (it's 5cm) but I want to give the Letrozole a chance before having a mastectomy. Unlike many women, having the cancer in me does not scare me or worry me. My consultant as well as a second opinion consultant at the Royal Marsden have both reassured me that whilst on Letrozole I am not putting myself a risk-the Letrozole will stop the cancer from growing and will then start to shrink it. So it's a wait and see game. I see my consultant in 2 weeks for a physical exam (just to check) and an MRI in 3 months to see how I am responding to Letrozole.

xxxx

Marla13- have you finished treatment or are you at the beginning of the road like myself and Hopeful86?
Xx

Hopeful86...that’s great I’m glad you feel reassured, my consultant kept using the curable word aswell and said he is confident it will be cured he even gave me statistics based on my Tumor and the treatment and even without perjeta aswell as herceptin I’m at 91% 10yr survival that made me feel good 🙂...have you joined the Facebook group HER2 positive? I am in the group and it’s so good...asking questions and speaking to other women who are the same as us and have beat it.
Iv been told it’s very painful cold capping like having a migraine and brain freeze in one lol 🙈 xx

I'm really pleased for you Clairebear85-you sound positive and in good spirits re-the chemo and I agree, at each session you will enjoy the feeling of knowing you're saying "bye-bye" to the cancer. 

xxxx

I no it is very strange. My oncologist was actually great (can’t believe I’m saying that) but I came out really reassured and he said the words curable not treatable and said the it’s actually quite small. The reason I’m having chemo first is because the lump is so close to my nipple so if they where going to operate first I would lose my nipple.. I will be starting chemo in 10days or less 6 cycles one very 3 weeks. 😱 I am going to have scans so a bone scan and a chest scan.he said nothing to worry about he very much doubts anything is there he just has got to do it. We talked about cold capping he thinks I should I give it a go but to cut my hair short first so it works better. But I came out of that appointment feeing so reassured and actually a lot less stressed which was very odd. And being able to tell my family it is curable lovely. Now all I got to do is keep my anxiety in check for the scans fat chance that is going to happen but just got to remember to breathe x

Marla13...yes mine is hormonal and I decided to go with treatment first as I’m not going to escape chemotherapy so I might aswell get it over with, and I think I’m going to enjoy the fact of watching it die every chemo treatment x

Hopeful86....I’m Thankyou, and it was abit more reassuring this evening to know it’s not going to spread by the time my treatment starts and it is confined to my breast atm..🙏🏼...my anxiety is a beast also! I walk around and forget about it then get smacked in the face with reality and remember the journey I’m about to take!
It’s so strange how talking to you is like talking to myself..you seem to be thinking and experiencing the same emotions and traits that I am and we both have older children aswell as young babies...I genuinely thought I was the only one like us in this situation 🙈...how was your oncologist appt today?? I am seeing mine next Wednesday.
I did steer away from microblading as I don’t want the risk of infection before chemo as it would delay the treatment start. I haven’t told my older children as I can’t bring myself too do it, I’m just going to start wearing hats and gradually cut my hair shorter so it doesn’t come as a shock to see me without hair 😕. It’s an awkward situation for children isn’t it xxx