Highlighted

Re: Just diagnosed, feeling lost

Hi 

I had my mammogram in February which picked up the beastie. With tests, scans etc I finally had surgery on 1st May. Felt like a very long process. Like you I had a stage 2. Very treatable and surgery will get rid of it. They will discuss a treatment plan with you and it will most likely be radiotherapy followed by hormone treatment. They will hav the full facts when they have tested it after removal.

You will see your wee boy grow up. By the sound of it, it’s been caught early. The BCN are brill and they will not give you false hope. You will be stressed and that is totally normal. It does take some sinking in! 

I am am pleased that you have found the forum as it is valuable. There is a facility to be able to talk to volunteers as well ho have been through the process. Sometimes it’s good to talk to someone who is not emotionally involved with you. 

Good lcuk and and huge hugs with the rest of your journey xx

Community Champion

Hi Jmag81, Sorry you find yourself here when you should be fully enjoying fun times with your 19 month old Son.  It really seems unfair doesnt it?  We've had a number of ladies on here who have gone through treatment either pregnant or with a baby so you might want to post on the "someone like me" thread to see if you can chat with someone who you can relate to.   Sorry, also to hear that you lost your mum to this horrid diseas but treatments have improved.  From diagnosis to start of treatment is usually about a month but finding the lump in the first place to initial appointment with the breast unit adds on another month so I'd say we've all been in the same position, timescale-wise on "finding" to treament.  I was diagnosed stage 3, age 48 with 2 kids in University and had the book thrown at me, treatment-wise and I'm still here!  It is an inconvenience and upheaval but you can get through it.  Once your treatment plan is in place you can chat with others going through the same on the "going through treatment" threads on this forum.  I found this really helpful.  Sending hugs.  xxx

Community Champion

JMag, welcome to the forum. Not a place you'd chose to be, but right now it's where you'll get loads of support. I think stage 2 is sounding quite positive with  treatment which has progressed in leaps and bounds. Sorry to hear about your mum as naturally this will impact your emotions.

i was diagnosed in 2 hours at a one stop shop type clinic, then allowed to go on holiday for a month. I did have my treatment plan in place, and even now can't remember packing or getting on that plane. My experience is that the team would never jeopardise your health. So I would say have faith in them. Their success is your success. That's not to say you shouldn't ask questions or stay well informed, which is where this site comes in. There are some great information leaflets on here which will keep you clued in at each stage. Good luck with all your procedures , and let us know how you get on. X

Community Champion

Hi Jmag,
Try not to worry about the timescales, what you say is quite usual & the important thing is, although a shock, is that treatment will start soon. Just focus on what the nurse said, bc is very treatable.
The early days of diagnosis are the worst, we’ve all been there, but it does settle down. It can help to just focus on the next appointment & try not to let the mind go into the ‘what ifs.’ There are others here a somilar age to you with small children, so you're not alone.
Sorry to hear about your mum, but it’s not your situation & outcomes are excellent now.
Do come & chat or vent whenever you need to.
Sending hugs
ann x
Community Champion

Jmag

Just wanted to say hello and welcome you to the forum, I know it is not somewhere that any of us would want to be but you will get loads of help and support on here from the wonderful ladies.  I am sorry to hear about your mum and that will obviously be adding to your anxiety and fears but everyone is different as is their diagnosis.  The good thing is that they have found it and it is treatable

Your bcn will be able to go through everything again with you and answer any questions you have..Get yourself a notebook and write down all your questions, that way you will not forget things and also they will not keep going round in your head.  This is a difficult time but once your treatment plan is in place honestly it does get easier as you know what is going to happen and when.

We are all here to support you in whatever way we can.

Sending you hugs

Helena xx

Just diagnosed, feeling lost

Hi,

Didn't think I'd find myself here aged 37 with a 19 month old son but here I am.

Was diagnosed yesterday after finding a lump on 23rd July, saw GP next day and was referred to breast clinic, appointment was 2 weeks later, had ultrasound and mammogram then referred again for biopsy. Had core needle biopsy on 10/09 and results yesterday. All I know at this point is that it's stage 2 and treatable according to BC nurse, doc that gave me the news was useless!

My mum died 7 years ago at just 58 after initially beating breast cancer but it returned in her liver (incurable) a short time later. I know she was an unusual case but hard not to compare.

Have another appointment on Tuesday, assume more scans will be needed but first point of treatment likely to be a surgery, they're saying surgery appointments give out yesterday were around 15th October.

I'm stressed that it will be almost 2 whole months since I found the lump before any treatment, is this normal? Just want it out and to see my wee boy grow up!